MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:37 AM   #1
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Should clod or Chuck roll

HI All What would be a better cut to smoke n slice? Is either one better to take apart for smaller cuts? Seen bout cuts at RD
Thanks Dan
PS Just looking for another cut besides Brisket, which has ben coming out tasty n tender but DRY.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:51 AM   #2
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

I prefer clod mostly because of flavor. I find it has a much "beefier" flavor. At the point of probe tender, I also find that it still has the ability to be sliced more so than chuck roll. I have seen clod as small as 13 lbs at RD, BTW. I have never seen a chuck roll that small. I have also cut larger clods in half or even in thirds with no issues. The meat is pretty consistent from end to end. Honestly, both of them benefit greatly from braising.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:59 PM   #3
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Default clod

Hi Wish I could find a 13 lb clod in RD. Last time I was there they had only 20+ lbs of clod. Maybe next I'll get lucky and find a smaller one. Some of the clod will also be ground into meat for meatballs/hamburgers. If I new hot to cut it I could also get some Flat Iron steaks out of it.
Thanks Dan

Old 01-23-2014, 01:11 PM   #4
sliding_billy

Here is a pretty good video on how to cut the flat irons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JckyA5jwZ60

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-23-2014, 02:47 PM   #5
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
HI All What would be a better cut to smoke n slice? Is either one better to take apart for smaller cuts? Seen bout cuts at RD
Thanks Dan
PS Just looking for another cut besides Brisket, which has ben coming out tasty n tender but DRY.
you might not be cooking your briskets long enough if they are dry...

Old 01-23-2014, 03:19 PM   #6
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Brisket

Hi fantomlord: I've tried smoking Brisket 8/10 times, using different methods, with the same results..They all come out tasty n tender, but on the dry side. I use the probe test to test for doneness.Tried foil/un foiled wrapped in butcher paper like Franklin does. You name it I've tried it.. The only way I did not try yet, is hot n fast 300/350*

sliding_billy: Good video on how to get too the Flat Iron steaks..Just might give it a try
Thanks Dan

Old 02-05-2014, 02:49 PM   #7
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Shoulder Clod/Chuck Roll

Hi I will see "IF" I can find a smaller clod at RD next time I go. If not just might have to try my luck with the bigger ones, maybe cut IT down to a more manageable size.
Would I be better off with the Chuck Roll or the Shoulder Clod? Just looking for a replacement for Brisket
Thanks Dan

Old 02-05-2014, 03:16 PM   #8
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Hi fantomlord: I've tried smoking Brisket 8/10 times, using different methods, with the same results..They all come out tasty n tender, but on the dry side. I use the probe test to test for doneness.Tried foil/un foiled wrapped in butcher paper like Franklin does. You name it I've tried it.. The only way I did not try yet, is hot n fast 300/350*

sliding_billy: Good video on how to get too the Flat Iron steaks..Just might give it a try
Thanks Dan
Tough and dry means undercooked brisket.

Tender and dry means overcooked brisket, or that it wasn't rested properly. You may be overshooting probe tender. It will probe easily when its over cooked just like when its perfectly done. You might want to start probing sooner and if its not ready start sticking it every 30 minutes for tenderness.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2014, 03:43 PM   #9
BBQ_MAFIA

Hey Dan:
Watch this video. He does a real good job of breaking the meat down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvfTV7cunhI

I love the Shoulder Clod.
I hope things work out for you.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-05-2014, 03:44 PM   #10
sliding_billy

Neither is a replacement for brisket, but as I mentioned I think clod slices better. Also, clod is fine to cut in half. There isn't a big difference in one side or the other like a brisket flat and point. I normally cut mine in half or thirds (to 7-9 lbs) depending on how big a clod I buy. If you are having problems with dry brisket, I don;t think that the chuck or clod is going to solve it. They are both very lean for starters. You might as well do pulled brisket (if it is just moisture that you want) at a much cheaper price point.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:17 PM   #11
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Hi All My thought was that either the Chuck Roll or Clod would be a little more forgiving than a brisket. My Briskets so far have come out tasty n tender, but on the dry side.After the 1st dinner, Im usually snack on the cold brisket, while watching TV.Taste even better cold and the next day.
Thanks DanB

Old 02-06-2014, 02:22 AM   #12
sliding_billy

I think it is the opposite to be honest. Sliced chuck or clod can turn out REALLY dry if not cooked right, while brisket tends to be a LITTLE dry as long as it is close (having a fatty point helps of course). The window of doneness on brisket is actually a lot better, IMO.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:51 AM   #13
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Brisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
Tough and dry means undercooked brisket.

Tender and dry means overcooked brisket, or that it wasn't rested properly. You may be overshooting probe tender. It will probe easily when its over cooked just like when its perfectly done. You might want to start probing sooner and if its not ready start sticking it every 30 minutes for tenderness.
I've always probed my briskets,sooner/later with the same results. Always rested and so forth..Did "ALL" the right things, they do come out tender n tasty but dry.
Taste really good cold on the next night.
DanB
PS The only thing I haven't tried yet was the hot n fast method. The only trouble with H n F is I will have a short window, to get it right..

Old 02-09-2014, 11:38 AM   #14
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

This sliced beef clod was tasty :

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #15
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I've always probed my briskets,sooner/later with the same results. Always rested and so forth..Did "ALL" the right things, they do come out tender n tasty but dry.
Taste really good cold on the next night.
DanB
PS The only thing I haven't tried yet was the hot n fast method. The only trouble with H n F is I will have a short window, to get it right..
Do you mind if i ask where you are getting your briskets and what the grade is? You might be a victim of poor brisket quality. Cooking hotter might help like you are saying. I keep it at around 300 when I cook brisket. Also what are you cooking on?

I don't mean to hijack this and make it about brisket, but it sounds like you would really like to nail it and that you're probably pretty close.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->