Simple duck breast

Gore

Phizzy

Batch Image
Reaction score
Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis
I don't remember when I cooked this. I think it may have been about a month ago between trips when I didn't have time to post. In any case, it is just a couple duck breasts, salt and peppered:

IMG_3994.jpg

For me, the primary goal in cooking duck is rendering as much of the fat as possible. I want a thin, and crispy outer layer if possible. I cut the grooves to help with the rendering. I put these into a frying pan.

IMG_3995.jpg

and use the side burner on the gasser. I don't think I've used that side burner for anything else. It is really good for duck though as duck has a LOT of fat and if I tried to do this in the house, I'd probably be divorced:

IMG_3996.jpg

The pic is about halfway done. Look at all that duck fat in the frying pan, better there than in me. The grease continues to fill up that pan. I'm always amazed how much there is. I do not cover because I don't want the duck meat to cook, just the fat. When I've had about enough of this as I can take, I throw it on the grill:

IMG_3999.jpg

I was in a hurry and just used the gasser. One word of caution. That duck fat is an EXCELLENT insulator. Even though I've had that breast in the frying pan, fat-side down for 10+ minutes, the meat is still pretty raw. I grill both sides for about 4-5 minutes, about how I would cook a 1.5"-thick ribeye. I don't want to overcook this. If you take duck past medium rare, I find it tastes like liver.

IMG_4001.jpg

The color on this is redder than it really was, but you can tell that it is still pretty pink. In reality it was between rare and medium rare. Note the fat layer is much thinner and even crispy. On the nearer side, it's thicker than I would have liked. I probably could've kept it in the frying pan a few more minutes, but it's still pretty good.

Looks good Gore.:thumb: I have never tried cooking farm raised duck but am inspired to give it a shot after seeing yours. I used to hunt A LOT of duck and can relate to the comment about over cooked duck tasting like liver (and sometimes steel pellets :doh:). I always attributed it to it being wild, but then again I never cooked it medium rare either.

I'd have to disagree that the duck fat is better in the pan than in you. Cut some potatoes up into cubes and fry them up in the duck fat. Best tater's you'll ever have.

The only other suggestion that I'd have for you is to cut the cross-hatch a little less-deep and render that fat out on a lower heat setting.

That looks yummy as hell though. I'd say that done-ness is really good.

I'd have to disagree that the duck fat is better in the pan than in you. Cut some potatoes up into cubes and fry them up in the duck fat. Best tater's you'll ever have.

The only other suggestion that I'd have for you is to cut the cross-hatch a little less-deep and render that fat out on a lower heat setting.

Sorry, I just can't eat taters like that anymore. As far as the rendering, that is the lowest setting my side-burner can do. I'd love it if I could set it lower, but it goes out. The low on the Weber is like a med-high on our inside stove.

Awesome pics and recipe - just in time for duck season out here. I'm going to have to try this out - always have plenty of duck breast and goose around here during the winter - but I've always steered clear of it, because I can't cook it. I fried a duck breast once; once - it tasted worse than liver, more like tar glazed leather.....

Awesome pics and recipe - just in time for duck season out here. I'm going to have to try this out - always have plenty of duck breast and goose around here during the winter - but I've always steered clear of it, because I can't cook it. I fried a duck breast once; once - it tasted worse than liver, more like tar glazed leather.....

The type of bird and their feeding habits really impact the flavor of it also. Diver and swamp feeding ducks are going to taste of it... not so good. Grain and rice ducks are going to be nice.

My neighbor does a lot of hunting. He's usually got enough meat to end up feeding the dogs and the other neighbor's dogs. Sometimes, if he's got a lot of teal, I'll get some and cook 'em up.

A good milk soak overnight seems to cut a lot of the gamey/bitter taste. I've done tons of them and there are two decent sauces that I've found really compliments the birds... one is a honey and fig sauce and the other is a white wine garlic (almost like scampi).

:thumb::thumb::thumb: Duck fat is awesome to use in cooking. Render enough of it and you can confit some whole garlic which can then be used as a spread or used in sauces. Then take the fat after you have finished the garlic and fry you up some taters like DoughBoy suggested.

BTW, the OP's duck breasts look mighty tasty.

:thumb::thumb::thumb: Duck fat is awesome to use in cooking. Render enough of it and you can confit some whole garlic which can then be used as a spread or used in sauces. Then take the fat after you have finished the garlic and fry you up some taters like DoughBoy suggested.

It is pretty amazing how much fat you can get out of the pope's nose if you do it right too!

wow that looks great gore! do you still render the fat in the frying pan if you choose to take the low and slow indirect way of cooking duck instead of just grilling it. i feel like if you were to smoke it you would want all the fat on so it would render into the meat and then maybe finish it off in the frying pan like you did? maybe not though, sadly i have never done duck but this makes me want to try. this seems pretty straight forward

Red is good.

Love duck especially peking duck.

I have done it at home but not yet with the bicycle pump to separate the skin from the meat. I kind of pull on the skin and try to separate it that way before going through the process.

Great job!

My wife does the Peking duck and it is a three-day process. Usually it is best in the oven. We've done it three times in the Primo. Only the last time did the fat render well (we kicked the temp up). The problem is that poultry soaks up smoke like a sponge and it is difficult to render the fat before it is too smokey.

That sounds awesome!!!

Oh, and ofcourse it looks great Gore :thumb:

Gore, Love to see you starting with the duck layed in a cold pan!:thumb:
Gorgeous and making me want duck...again.
Those are way better than the duck I can buy hereabouts too, way better!

Back