New UDS Testdrive

allboy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I fired up my new UDS lastnight. I'm happy with the results. I see you do need to flip your meat often. The unit is very easy on charcoal consumption, and is very temp stable too. I may have to try a Butt, or Picnic next week. what are some other things to look out for when using a Drum smoker?

Attachments

• uds4.jpg
    uds4.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 215
  • uds3.jpg
    uds3.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 215
  • uds2.jpg
    uds2.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 213
  • uds1.jpg
    uds1.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 213
I see you do need to flip your meat often. what are some other things to look out for when using a Drum smoker?
Usually only flip after a couple of hours. Important part is don't peek and keep lid sealed.

When I do a Picnic, I buy ones with the skin still on and cook with skin side down the entire time, no flipping but after the first three hours I mop 'em every hour .....they turn out nice...
attachment.php

Good looking drum. Nice work on it. Glad you are enjoying it. I don't flip but I think I will start:icon_bigsmil

welcome to the world of the Drumheads. nice looking UDS:-D:cool:

Looks good. I flip my Butts once, sometimes.

Did you season the drum before the 1st cook???

Thanks for the nice replys! The UDS was fun to build, and very easy. I used my WSM charcoal ring for my first cook. I will need to build a charcoal chamber this weekend.

Thanks for the nice replys! The UDS was fun to build, and very easy. I used my WSM charcoal ring for my first cook. I will need to build a charcoal chamber this weekend.
I use a WSM charcoal ring all the time. I do not flip.

Nice lookin' pit bro. I noticed it's a double racker...how were the cooking temps between the top and bottom racks? Did you notice any major difference in how your meat cooked? I'm doing another BGD this week and have ideas of a double rack drum as well. :p

Did not Temp my grates, but I will be installing a digital therm on my next cook on each grate. I will let you know.

Back when it was shiny inside. :lol:

Attachments

• uds5.jpg
    uds5.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 171
  • uds6.jpg
    uds6.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 186
Great looking drum build, I know you will enjoy the pron it produces!! :SMILE:

Looks like a great start!!! Keep it coming!!!

Usually only flip after a couple of hours. Important part is don't peek and keep lid sealed.

This is about what works for me as well. Every UDS is just a little different so experiment and life will be good. Bigmista usually posts that he doesn't flip at all...so who knows. Sometimes I don't either. Have fun and enjoy that wonderful Q!!!

did you smash the lip to accomodate the weber lid or did it just fit your drum??

The Weber lid fits perfectly. I believe you want the top if the drum to be 22 3/4".

Nice looking UDS!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Back