Anyone Grind Their RUB ?????

smily

Knows what a fatty is.
well do ya LOLOLLL?????

been playin with my sisters rub and ground some of it and it changed alot IMO may be better but have not cooked with it yet.

any thoughts??????????

:-D

well do ya LOLOLLL?????

been playin with my sisters rub and ground some of it and it changed alot IMO may be better but have not cooked with it yet.

any thoughts??????????

:-D

Yep...I do for chicken...not for butts, brisket, or ribs...:cool:

Almost thought this was a woodpile thread!:biggrin: I've never tried that. I've ground ingridients in my m/p for rubs but...

why whats yer insite reasoning???????????

spill......................................LOLLLOLL (THX)

I use a cheap coffee grinder. But, I am thinking of getting a cheap burr grinder, more grain control, better consistency, which I think should make my rubs better.

I use a coffee grinder, specifically for spices. I'm still using a cheap model, and every year or two I have to replace it.

The problem I have with the whirring blades of finger death grinder is that it gives everything from powder to chunks, that is why I saw this $30 burr grinder at Target that will give me a more consistent grind texture. I want my pepper and salt to be about the size of kosher salt, I think having a consistent size is gonna produce a better rub and more evenly distributed flavors.

For the most part, I can get an even fine grind with the whirring blades, I only see problems when going for a bit more coarse, say coarse black pepper. Then I get big chunks and fine bits all mixed together, not so good. A burr grinder is the best, no doubt. I've managed to get by to my satisfaction with a whirly bird grinder though.

We use a cheapo coffee grinder and grind a little rub used on pork butts. Right before serving, sprinkle a little of the ground rub on the meat and toss. As long as you have some moisture in the meat, the ground rub just disappears and adds a nice finished flavor. Don't use a heavy hand, just a light dusting. Might consider giving it a try.

I've tried grinding rubs but find it changes the flavor too much, and not for the good... not sure if it's the finer ground sugar that tastes different or what.

Haven't tried a burr grinder yet, only the spinning blades of death... might have to look for a burr style.

So...you're still alive?:-D

I often grind my dry rub in my pestle and mortar to get the rub more powdery.

I saw a nice coffee grinder at sams club yesterday. It holds 1/2 pound of coffee and has a large catch container. About 25.00 would make a nice grinder i think.
I wish they would carry remote thermometers.
jon

About the only thing I usually grind for the rub is the black pepper, with a cheap coffee grinder. Yes, it's not real consistant, but I feel the flavor boost is worth it, assuming you're gonna use the rub soon.

On the other hand, they're not spices, but I've found that kosher and turbinado turn to powder, so they're not going to be as fine as most of the rub, anyway.

Back