• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Risking my Tuna

Smoke Dawg

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
trying a new recipe for smoked tuna

Calls to coat the tuna in a 50/50 mix of kosher salt and brown sugar for 24 hours, then rinse and soak in apple juice for 24 hours and then smoke

We will see!

View attachment 92892

Last edited:
Sounds good. Never smoked tuna before thou.

Interesting! I use the brown sugar/salt cure on salmon overnight before cold smoking but have not tried apple juice. Will it make the fish sweet?

Why would you treat tuna like pork?

Too much salt too heavy on the brown sugar.
Citrus or ginger not apple.

Generally you marinate seafood for a couple hours or so, not over night.

Interesting! I use the brown sugar/salt cure on salmon overnight before cold smoking but have not tried apple juice. Will it make the fish sweet?

I imagine it would. I'll let you know.

I plan to add some HDD to some of it. Sweet and Hot go together!

Hmmm interesting. I've always eaten it raw, or quick sear. Can't imagine it taking too long to cook, otherwise it'd dry out fast. Hope it turns out alright!

It's albacor. We did quick sear some and casnned most of it smoking two of the ten I caught

I've had it before that others smoked and it was good. I don't know how they prepared it

I've always soaked my salmon in a brine over night but never tried this method.

It will be smoked on Sunday!

Sounds good

I bet it comes out great. I usually brine overnight but this sounds interesting. The chunks are pretty thick so I don't thick you will over salt. The apple juice soak will remove a good portion of the saltiness. My only suggestion is to not overcook as Tuna becomes too dry very fast. You'll want to smoke it until it still retains moisture but is done...

Why would you treat tuna like pork?

Too much salt too heavy on the brown sugar.
Citrus or ginger not apple.

Generally you marinate seafood for a couple hours or so, not over night.

this is very similar to a smoked salmon recipe

you rinse the salt off after soaking and let it form a pelicle before smoking

We smoke a lot of tuna out here. Mostly Shibis (young ahi/yellowfin).

Break it down in one ounce strips.

Simple brine, dry with paper towels and then let the pellicle set up on a rack in the fridge.

On the smoker (140 degrees) using guava wood, and it cooks fast. I bet any fruit wood would work awesome.

Simple and amazing.

Alohaz

I was amazed on how the brine firmed up the tuna. It has been rinsed well and is soaking in the apple juice now. I did put a little teryaki on each piece before covering with the juice.

Will smoke in the morning

Here is what I am using; It came from a fishing board

I am pleased to share my recipe for my world famous smoked tuna. I say world famous because this product was taken to Europe by a friend who traveled in conjunction with his work and was all over the globe giving it to his friends. This started 15 years ago and we still ship my smoked tuna across the water. I can and smoke and average of 1000 pounds a year.
It is the best!!!!

Since I am not a fan of the salty taste of most smoked fish I tested several recipes until I hit on PERFECTION for a mouth watering. must have smokey product.

Brown Sugar, Kosher salt, Apple Juice or pineapple juice & teriyaki sauce

I slice the tenderloins in 1 inch wide portions against the grain at an angle mainly for looks after the product is smoked.

Brining correctly is crucial to killing the bacteria in the fish so I employ an equal mixture of kosher salt and brown sugar. No other spices!!! A layer of this mixture in a clean, sanitized plastic dishpan then a layer of fish until pan is full. Each piece of fish must be coated and not touching each other. Refrigerate for 24 hours. Yes! 24 hours. Then rinse by now liquified brine off fish in cool water and put all pieces in another clean dishpan.

HERE IS WHERE THE WORLD FAMOUS PART COMES IN. Cover fish in Apple Juice and let soak for another 24 hours in refrigerator. Yep that is it. Drain fish and place on racks to air dry for an hour or so and then place in your smoker for the time needed. Each smoker is different. I use a Big Chief and run through 2 pans of DRY chips (sometimes 3) and leave fish in smoker til done. Fish pieces when done but still moist should give a bit (like a cake) when pushed with a finger.

Several years ago I did the 'soak' after brining with a mixture of Pineapple Juice and Teriyaki sauce. The results were absolutely amazing. I have also tossed a few sliced Jalapenos in with the juice soak for a bit of spice but believe me no other spices are necessary. Cool fish to room temp then vacuum seal. This product has garnered First Prize at our County fair every time I have entered it and is a favorite to anyone who tries it. No kidding.

I hope you try this easy, uncomplicate recipe. When you do, you will be totally amazed at the flavor of this product. No salty after taste at all. Just the true Albacore flavor enhanced to perfection.

Last edited:
Where'd ya catch the tuna in Washington?
Waiting for results. Don't dry it out.
Oh, that's what Mayo is for.

You have my attention. Very interested to hear the final results. It sounds like it will be very good!

Back