MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:43 AM   #1876
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

Please do not take this as negative.

I am just wondering how long you can keep buring the candle at both ends. It almost seems like you are trying to do too much and eventually something has to give. I know you have more equipment on order, and that will help. To me, at some point, you need to pick which you want to be first. A restaurant or a caterer. I would think the original plan was to be a great BBQ restaurant, so make that the best it can be. That means having enough meat to serve till closing. If you are taking space in your smoker to do catering too, you are doing both jobs halfway. Once you have the capacity, knock them both out...

Again, no disrespect intended. You are doing an amazing job. Just throwing a thought out there...

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2014, 04:45 AM   #1877
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

You need some UDS's to help get you through till the new smoker arrives.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2014, 06:50 AM   #1878
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
You need some UDS's to help get you through till the new smoker arrives.
Yeah...about 40 of them....

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-07-2014, 10:47 AM   #1879
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Speaking of, I need help. Anybody have a large smoker, is willing to travel, and wants to make some money in a couple of weeks?

June 21st and 22nd I've already got orders for a few hundred people and this lady has called the restaurant begging us to do a graduation party for 200 that same weekend. I've already told her we can't do it, but she is persistent. She's already ordered 40 quarts of mac and cheese, but she's begging for pork.

So, if you have a decent sized smoker and would be willing to hang out cooking meat on the 21st and 22nd, I'd pay you as a temp employee. Plus you could spend a couple days learning about running a bbq joint by being an integral part of it.

If this might work, let me know. If nobody can help, no biggie and I'll just turn down the rest of the orders and it won't be the end of the world.

EDIT: While I was sitting here typing this, somebody came in asking me to do a party for 150 on the 21st. Holy fark.

Turning away money sucks.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #1880
FireChief
is one Smokin' Farker

Good problem to have I guess ! I've been lurking on this post for months. It is epic, and thanks for sharing your story with us. I've had people tell me to quit my day job and go cook BBQ for a living. No way. What you are doing is serious work. Good luck in the future as your business continues to grow.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #1881
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
Speaking of, I need help. Anybody have a large smoker, is willing to travel, and wants to make some money in a couple of weeks?

June 21st and 22nd I've already got orders for a few hundred people and this lady has called the restaurant begging us to do a graduation party for 200 that same weekend. I've already told her we can't do it, but she is persistent. She's already ordered 40 quarts of mac and cheese, but she's begging for pork.

So, if you have a decent sized smoker and would be willing to hang out cooking meat on the 21st and 22nd, I'd pay you as a temp employee. Plus you could spend a couple days learning about running a bbq joint by being an integral part of it.

If this might work, let me know. If nobody can help, no biggie and I'll just turn down the rest of the orders and it won't be the end of the world.

EDIT: While I was sitting here typing this, somebody came in asking me to do a party for 150 on the 21st. Holy fark.

Turning away money sucks.

I've been wondering why you haven't put the formal invitation out yet.

Soooo....many guys wanting to do the same thing as you. Why not offer a total package? Say a two week intensive hands on training course on starting your own bbq restaurant (With a geography based non compete clause) for $5,000? IE, they pay you instead of you pay them.

Most of us are decent cooks, but we could all step up our game. If you had someone talking to you about all the potential pitfalls starting out, $5,000 would be a very small price to pay.
tortaboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #1882
Frank Mahovlich
Full Fledged Farker

Marubozo- I have followed this thread without commenting, but I echo the sentiments of those who thank you for sharing your journey with us. You've done an amazing job, congrats.

The number of people who come on here "telling" you what you should do amazes me. Maybe I'm taking this the wrong way & maybe you've received a bunch of helpful ideas, but I'd say you have a pretty firm grasp on whatever it is you have set out to do. As you as soliciting temp help in a mere two weeks, somebody feels the need to tell you that THEY should be paying YOU for the opportunity. Now this may have a time & place eventually, but two weeks is gonna be here right quick. I don't see the need for guys to deviate from your short-term need.

Again, maybe I am taking this the wrong way- it's highly likely I am.
Frank Mahovlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #1883
Icetech
On the road to being a farker

As far as burning the candle on both ends.. really depends on the person, I own my own business and work 70+ hours a week and have never had a vacation. You get used to it and just work. No problem:)
Icetech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2014, 02:02 PM   #1884
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Brethren Bash at The Prized Pig!

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-07-2014, 04:27 PM   #1885
Billy G
Found some matches.

Hi Maruvozo
Been reading your post what journey - I have some thing that would help you out , the only thing i am out of town that week end - but I have southern pride 300 like the one you have - but on trailer that I will post a pic. just keep me in mind if you need back up . may be i can rent to you for that weekend . always like to help a bother out . BillyG
not sure how to post a pic - but will get one to you
Billy G is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #1886
Billy G
Found some matches.

Default I firgue out how to post pic of trailer

Hi Maruboze
Here is pic of my trailer it has 3 compartment sink hand sink and southern pride 300 - let me know
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smoker pic.jpg (29.4 KB, 1198 views)
Billy G is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2014, 11:15 PM   #1887
McGruber
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Wish I could help but your story has been amazing to follow. I always look forward to the updates.
McGruber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2014, 09:07 AM   #1888
Visioneer
Found some matches.

I might be able to help you out. I'll send a PM.

Mark
Visioneer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2014, 06:05 PM   #1889
EJI
Got rid of the matchlight.

After reading all 126 pages, I had to create an account to congratulate you and thank you for bringing us along on your journey.
EJI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2014, 04:17 PM   #1890
Lespauljeff
Found some matches.

Wish I had my rotisserie finished, I would b there
Lespauljeff is offline   Reply With Quote