Rib Trimmings

milehigh

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So i've got about 6 racks worth of trimmings from spares made into St. Louis cuts in the freezer that i would throw on the smoker this weekend. Anything to do with these other than putting in beans? If you do that do you shorten the time in the smoker? Any ideas?

Paul

I just smoke it and slice it or pull it and make pork tacos with avocado and salsa.

How about saving some out and fixing up some kraut and rib meat with some new potatoes in a butter sauce. Add some navy or pinto bean on the side and call me when its ready.
Dave

Sausage.

Here is good recipe for bulk sausage (in case you don't have a stuffer). If you don't have a grinder, you can use a food processor if you do small batches and use the pulse switch.

FARM SAUSAGE

Unknown source on this one. Wonderful stuffed, in bulk or packaged for fatties. This has the classic flavors of a Midwest breakfast sausage but it is also right at home served on a bun or as a main dish with fried potatoes and onions.

3 lbs. ground pork butt
2 teaspoons ground sage
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons coarse black pepper
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon minced garlic
¼ cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon Kosher salt
¼ cup water

Grind the meat, mix in the seasonings and water until well blended. Let rest overnight for seasonings to blend.

rib tips? just smoke em like ribs cause that;s what they are.

The trimmings can make a nice hearty tomato sauce, however you have to watch out for those little bones.

I make a home made Rhineland sourKaurt, I have the recipe I can send if ya email me. it starts out with ribs boiled for the base, Real Sourkaurt is not supposed to be real sour.

Why are you cutting the ribs St. Louis style?
Are you selling them in a restaurant, and need them to be all the same
size for presentation?

Just cook (smoke) the slabs whole (untrimmed) and when they are done...
sit down and eat them.
The thick part that connected the ribs to the breastbone is mostly bone...
but; there is still some tasty bits of meat on it.
The rest is mostly boneless meat...why banish it to a pot of bean?

It's all good eats.....(thank you A. B.)

Thanks for all the super ideas guys. Still have not settled on anything.
I cut them St. Louis because that is the way i like them.

Paul

I just throw the trimmings on the smoker with the St. Louis's. Since the trimmings will be done first, they serve as a nice little pregame to the main event. Low and slow can seem to take forever sometimes. :-D

Jim

Back