Help with a bean recipe

mikerobes

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am cooking for friends this weekend and want to make baked or smoked beans. I have some smoked Rib tips from a comp to add. Can you share a method and recipe? Thanks

I just take a bunch of canned beans, I like a few different types, but, heavy on pinto and navy beans, then add to a large can of Bush's vegetarian beans, add a couple tablespoons of rub, hot sauce to taste and the smoked meat. If I am cooking, I will put the beans on the lower rack and the meat to be cooked above for drippings.

I like to add a chopped onion, bell pepper, jalapeno, couple cloves of garlic, some canned baked beans, brown sugar, mustard, maybe some maple syrup if I'm feeling frisky, rub, and as many chopped smoked meats as I have available at the time. It's kinda like chili...not really a recipe, but sort of a rough method really.

This is a bean dish I make once a week. It tastes great and is really good for you. We eat this alot in place of mashed potatoes.

1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons evoo
Salt and pepper to taste
2 or so cups of V8 vegetable juice
3 tablespoons cilantro, or parsley, or even basil

Heat evoo and add garlic. Heat garlic for a few minutes. Add beans, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir for a few minutes until hot. Add vegetable juice. Bring to a boil while stirring frequently. Remove from heat, add cilantro, and mash bean mixture with a potato masher until you get your desired consistency.

It may not be perfect for a bbq'n weekend with the guys, but it is really tasty, and healthy too! Plus, a touch of smoke and some meat would really bring this up a notch.

Wampus's Peach Bourbon Baked Beans rocked the last meal I made... try it!

If you have a favorite method of stove-top or oven baked beans, then go with that (they'll likely taste better in the smoker).

If you don't have your own recipe, a super simple method is to simply open a can of baked beans and kick it up a notch (brown sugar, BBQ rub, BBQ sauce, diced onions, peppers, garlic, pork, etc.).

I've made em by simply going with some cans of Bush's Beans (I find their Country style recipe to fit my taste buds the best).

This is how I usually make beans:

PatAttack's Get Back Beans

1 Large can Bush's Baked Beans (the giant ones)
1 lb. ground beef or sausage (you can use burnt ends too)
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 cup brown sugar
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 can of Coca-Cola

Brown the beef of sausage with the onion. Drain the fat.
Add beans to large roasting pan
Mix brown sugar, garlic, meat mixture in with the beans with two tbsp. of your favorite rub. Lastly, add one can of Coca-Cola and mix everything together.
Top with bacon and put on smoker till bubbly and tasty!

These are very good! I usually use ground beef but you can really use anything.
My cousin calls em' "Meat Beans" and asks me to cook them every time he comes in town.

PatAttack

Last edited:
Three Bean Baked Beans

Ingredients:
1/2 lb. bacon, diced
1/2 pound ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup catsup
1/4 cup barbeque sauce
2 tsp. mustard
2 tsp. molasses
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1 (16 oz.) can butter beans
1 (16 oz.) can kidney beans
1 (32 oz.) can Beanee Wennee
Directions: Brown bacon then remove bacon. Add onion. Brown ground beef and drain and add to bacon and onion. Transfer to a baking dish and add all other ingredients. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. With about 5 minutes left, crumble bacon and add to top of dish.

Here is my recipe. It doesn't have rib tips but I can only imagine if you add them it will add to the goodness. :thumb:
Ingredients:
1 # 10 can Bush’s Original Baked Beans (117 Oz.)
1 Small Bottle (18 Oz.) of Kraft Hickory Smoked BBQ Sauce
1 ½ Lb. Ground Beef
1 Lb. Sausage (patty)
1 Lb. Bacon
1 Tsp. Ground Red Pepper
1 Tbsp. Red Pepper Flakes

1 Tsp. Salt
¾ Cup Molasses
¾ Cup Honey
2 Tbs. Worcestershire Sauce
2 Tbs. Hot Sauce
1 Large Onion Finely Chopped
Cook ground beef and sausage until well done, stirring constantly and mashing into a fine texture. Drain off fat and set aside. Cook bacon crisp and crush over the other meats just cooked.
Open beans and drain liquid. Mix the meat and all other ingredients with the beans. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Back