Confessions of a Holiday Junkfood Junkie

Made this last year for the holidays too. Fantastic snacks and easy to make. Thanks again Brother KC.

kcquer said:
BBQ Meatballs

Combine following:
3# ground beef or beef & pork
2 eggs
2 C quick oats
1 13oz can evaporated milk
1 C finely chopped onion
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
Combine thoroughly (kitchen aid to the rescue) and form into walnut sized meatballs this will make 60 meatballs that will fit 20 per 9x13 pan (disposable alum pans work great)

Sauce

Combine following:
3 C catsup
2 C brown sugar (light)
2 T Liquid Smoke
1./2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 C finely diced onion
Mix well drizzle over meatballs.

Bake 1 hr@ 350*. After baking these hold for hours in a low croc-pot.

NOTE To Brother Spicebag, Next time we have a chance to meet, I'm bringing you a batch of these!!

Swedish meat balls, Taco dip, pickles wrapped with dried beef and cream cheese.

Taco dip-
Layer bean dip on the bottom of tray.
Top with sour cream, salsa, meat, lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese.

OK I gotta admit I kinda freaked a little bit when I saw this thread and kcquer as the thread starter. But thanks for reviving this thread. Maybe we can all give Scott's BBQ meatball recipe a try this holiday season in honor of our Brother...

I'm not even going to list what I eat. I'll juust make it simple. Yes to ALL of the above.....:biggrin: :biggrin:

Jorge, thanks so much for bringing this thread back to the top. Scott's meatball recipe is going in my folder and I'll make it for Christmas.

I've been nipping on the Disaronno while making Dr. Chickens Sweet Kiss of Death marinade and Im feeling emotional. I love you man!! And I miss KC. I feel for his family here now that the holidays have hit. I'll say a prayer for Scott's family tonight. I know this one will be tough for them.

Any chance I can talk a moderator into making this a seasonal sticky?

Jorge said:
Any chance I can talk a moderator into making this a seasonal sticky?

Excellent idea Jorge!

I will have to try these recipes. Thanks all.

Mike

I don't think the results of smoking the meatballs were ever posted. Scott and I PM'd and talked about it.

A disposable perforated veggie tray works great. I usually add them in batches while I have something else cooking. 20-30 minutes while I have something else cooking, and then finish in the oven. For a longer smoke time I will cut back on the liquid smoke by 25% in the sauce. Setting the pan on a grate in the firebox with a little sauce on the meatballs adds a nice touch. Just keep them moving and pull them when the sauce is starting to set up so that you don't burn it. They keep well in the fridge if there isn't too much sauce on them, and reheat fine with the addition of sauce that has been set aside.

Stuck as requested, Good Ider by the way

bbqjoe said:
Favorite T-day junk food? Bloody marys made with clamato!!!!
Vegetable overload.

plus add a little (or a lot) of horseradish.

Now we talking!

There is more to my recipe but Absolute Peppar Vodka, Clamato and horseradish are the basic ingredients. Anything after that is all added according to taste.

Some optional ingredients:

Worchestershire
Garlic salt/powder
tabasco- class all in itself
celery salt
cajun spice/cayenne or Oldbay
lime juice (key lime juice is my favorite)
lemon juice
black pepper - course or fine
white pepper
any type of hot sauce

Garnish with:

olives
okra
celery
green beans
carrots
Sea salt the rim or use the cajun spice here

I like a good BM!

Found some jalapeño cheddar little smokies at the store yesterday. Got them in the crock pot with some good Carolina sauce acquired from a past trade. Good chit Maynard.

Kevin said:
Found some jalapeño cheddar little smokies at the store yesterday. Got them in the crock pot with some good Carolina sauce acquired from a past trade. Good chit Maynard.

Where might one find such smokies ? I have not seen a Jalapeno in MoFo country yet. At least not a "REAL" one. Going to duck now. :shock:

We've become hooked on this recently. I pulse the blender to leave some chunks, and add a little milk or cream to thin it out just a little bit. Let it rest in the fridge overnight before deciding to add more jalapeno. It takes a while for the flavors to really blend and let the heat come out.

Chuy's Creamy Jalapeno
The Unauthorized Chuy's Creamy Jalapeno Dip
16 oz. (or 24, it matters little) sour cream
1 packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Dip Mix powder
1 handful cilantro leaves (more or less to taste)
3/4 cup pickled jalapeno slices (more or less to taste)
Put the ingredients in a blender (or use a nifty hand blender) and blend until smooth. Eat immediately or, even better, chill for a few hours letting the flavors meld

Jorge said:
I pulse the blender to leave some chunks

Please refrain from using the term 'chunks' in recipes. I just had a bad vision although the food itself sounds good. WTF is Chuy's?

tommykendall said:
Please refrain from using the term 'chunks' in recipes. I just had a bad vision although the food itself sounds good. WTF is Chuy's?

Point taken:oops: Chuy's is a Tex-Mex place with a New Mexico influence. Good stuff.

Jorge said:
We've become hooked on this recently. I pulse the blender to leave some chunks, and add a little milk or cream to thin it out just a little bit. Let it rest in the fridge overnight before deciding to add more jalapeno. It takes a while for the flavors to really blend and let the heat come out.

Chuy's Creamy Jalapeno
The Unauthorized Chuy's Creamy Jalapeno Dip
16 oz. (or 24, it matters little) sour cream
1 packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Dip Mix powder
1 handful cilantro leaves (more or less to taste)
3/4 cup pickled jalapeno slices (more or less to taste)
Put the ingredients in a blender (or use a nifty hand blender) and blend until smooth. Eat immediately or, even better, chill for a few hours letting the flavors meld

Sounds like a plan for tomorrow. Thanks Jorge.

The holiday season is here, and it's cool and wet outside so I've been playing in the kitchen.

For years I've used part of a casserole recipe that's been in the family for years to make a dip.

2 lbs. ground beef (the leaner the better, unless you don't mind draining the grease)
1 med onion chopped
1 7 oz. can chopped green chiles
1 can Rotel
2 cans cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
salt a pepper or other seasoning to taste

Brown meat and onion together, seasoning with salt and pepper. Drain grease.

Add remaining ingredients and simmer until thick enough to dip chips, crackers, etc.

Having read a recent thread about Bolner's Fiesta Spices....Uncle Chris Steak Seasoning is a winner with this.

A dip similar to the Chuys version I posted above:

2 C mayo (the real stuff)
1 punch cilantro
2 T garlic
2-6 jalapenos
2 T vinegar
2 T water

Remove stems from jalapenos and puree all ingredients together. Let sit over night.

Options: Cut back on the garlic 1/2-1/3 and add 1 package of Hidden Valley Ranch Dip mix.

Sub sour cream for the mayo, are split it 50/50.

Final option: Add some of the latter dip, to the former and let it simmer.

Simple and quick... my wife takes delie sliced ham and spreads garlic cream cheese over it and rolls around a green onion. These sound ridiculously simple but for a change of pace appetizer, they are pretty damned good.