Red Snapper

I was trolling again, this time around Military just north of 45th and I landed this beautiful imported Red Snapper!:clap2::clap2:

Red.jpg

Thought I would try to brine it, which I have stated many times that I NEVER do that.

Used some Kosher salt, Key West seasoning and a little Jack for good measure.

Brined.jpg

Brined for about 36 hours. I was caught up with charity work all weekend and I squeezed this in between cooking lunch and then back for the afternoon BBQ at 4PM. Fired up the WSM with RO lump and some Hickory. Temps went up way too fast so I added the water pan to steady things. Temps held just fine between 175-190.

I pulled it after two hours. Internal was about 139 and that felt good to me. Here it is after I pulled it.

cooked.jpg

I plated it with a little Orange cause it was there. Fish was firm and will make a real nice fish dip.

Money-Shot.jpg

Not too bad, but I am still not sold on brine. Use the above as the entry pic. I think I an first in again.

Nice red there Jim, plate looks scrumptious! Kazion and I are planning to fish that spot tomorrow:thumb:

Ok I have my popcorn and beer ready and am camped out at the monitor. I figure with the amount of bad jokes going on with this TD someone is going to go off the reserve and attempt to cook a piece of fish like a brisket!

After eating half my fish I made a smoked fish dip. Ohhh sooo good. Chopped up the rest of big red and put it in a pint of sour cream, added a splash of L&P and Crystal.

To die for. Sorry no pron, havn't figured out how to make dip look pretty.

I know I am risking my front row seat in nell by cooking fish on a Friday during lent. But, I found a way to get beef into the entry, so hopefully I won't get bumped too many rows back.

I went cajun for this one, as cajun is one of my favorite styles of food.

I started with a filet of my favorite fish, some Gulf red snapper. I seasoned it with equal parts salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.

picture.php

I also needed a good sauce for the fish, so I made a sauce with crab meat, butter, garlic, heavy cream, brandy, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. I simmered it for a good 40 minutes to reduce and thicken. I did this sauce with no recipe. I completely shot from the hip -- and nailed it. The leftover sauce is destined for a bowl of linguini tomorrow.

picture.php

I needed a good cajun bed for the fish, and needed some beef to make sure I go to hell. So, dirty rice was the natural choice for this dish. It was the perfect choice for this fish and sauce.

picture.php

So, how did it turn out? Well, here's a look. You will have to take my word for it that it tasted great. I very rarely grill fish -- mostly shrimp. I've always been afraid of overcooking it. But, it was actually not that hard to do, and turned out nice and flaky and moist.

Here is the money shot, with fork crutch.

picture.php

CD

I've decided to enter my first Throwdown. I've been planning on making Salmon "Candy" for awhile and I've thought about entering a Throwdown for awhile now - so combine the two and here I am....

First the ingredients: Sockeye Salmon, Kosher Salt, water and maple syrup

Ingredients.jpg

The ingredients unwrapped

Ingredients2.jpg

Marinaded in maple syrup, salt and water for 12 hours
Inthemarinade.jpg

After 12 hours removed from the marinade and dipped into maple syrup and placed on the Egg at 200 - 250 degrees for 2 hours.

OntheEgg.jpg

And finally, plated and with a glass of wine. This salmon was delicious. A very successful cook - I'll do this one again.

DSC00382.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to look at my entry. Please use the last photo. Julie

:doh:

Had completely forgot we had a fish throw down going on. I just polished off a delicious cedar planked salmon.... Oh well!

What a great TD category, fish happens to be one of my favorite seafoods and Costco had the perfect Yellow fin Tuna that I couldn’t resist. Yellow fin is the same thing as Ahi Tuna but my FIL (RIP) was an old school Tuna Fisherman in the Pacific fleet back in the day when they were fished with 1,2 or 3 poles depending on the size of the fish, he would insist that Ahi was Yellow Fin so around our house it’s Yellow Fin.

I seasoned the Yellow Fin with chopped garlic, kosher salt, black pepper and lemon juice and let it marinate in the fridge while I worked on a sauce.

seasonedtuna.jpg

For the sauce I wanted to make a Cebolada with onions, tomatoes, white port wine and since something green is in the special rules I also used tomatillos. Here is the onions on my new grill (Char-Griller Acorn).

onions.jpg

I don’t know why they called it an acorn to me it looks more like an Avocado.

Milton.jpg

That’s Milton, he’s going to help me with this cook.

I started the onions on the Avocado but had to finish them in the kitchen, the bottom vent needs work to seal it up and it was getting way to hot to continue with the lid up. Here are the Tomatillos and the onions going in with the onions.

ott.jpg

After about a 20 minute simmer I added about ¼ cup of white Port wine to deglaze the pan and let it reduce.

cebolada.jpg

Since you can’t see the green tomatillos anymore in the Cebolada I coated some asparagus in evoo and seasoned with SM Spicy Apple and onto the Avocado where Milton supervised.

greens.jpg

With everything else ready I put the Yellow Fin steaks on for 3 minutes per side.

onthegrill-2.jpg

Farking Milton he is such a micro manager, I wonder if Gore has this problem with Ninja?

flip.jpg

Not sure which pic is better but here they are plated.

plated1-2.jpg

plated2-4.jpg

Milton said the Yellow Fin was perfect.

perfect.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Back