Saran Wrap...

Revisting an old post I started... I did wrap the butt for about 12 hours, and you know there was no liquid that came out of the butt, I'm assuming it stayed in the butt, which is good. Normally there is liquid at the bottom of the pan...

If the butt was wrapped for 12 hours , how did you get any smoke flavor to the meat? or was the 12 hours after a time in the smoke?

If the butt was wrapped for 12 hours , how did you get any smoke flavor to the meat? or was the 12 hours after a time in the smoke?

I believe he means after he put the rub & before he put it in the smoker...

:wink:The secret is out! Nice job Keale!

Dam!! I was tricked into revealing the secret! I've broken the sacred "Omerta of 'Que"!! Now I can never become a Luminary of BBQ (as featured in Newsday). :frown:

For my ribs and brisket, I season them with my rub then wrap with plastic wrap(brand not important) and foil. I refridgerate them overnight, then unwrap and put them in the smoker. When I pull them out, I again use plastic wrap and foil during the foiling period. I then let them rest and absorb the juices prior to cutting. I have never had any of my plastic wrap melt. The steam keeps it from getting too hot. I do end up with some mighty fine tasting, tender que. :-D

I could be wrong here, but I don't think you should be putting plastic wrap in the cooker, wouldn't it melt?

I tried an oven cook using the: "wrap the ribs with plastic wrap and around that foil, then cook @225 for 2 hours then 1 hour in foil only" technique, and when I unwrapped em after the first 2 hours, the plastic wrap had melted. I used Sarhan wrap, too. If I'm forced to cook inside again, next time I'll use cooking bags.

Aloha Roy! I see it done all the time. Before going on the smoker and afterwards. I would think the plastic wrap over a pan would not give as good of a seal that holds the rub or juices close to the meat. If we are using a glass container, plastic wrap works better than foil to seal. Just my opinion. Take care brother.

Back