City BBQ: The Verdict is In!

thunter

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I live in Indy and a new chain is in town... City BBQ. My wife has heard people raving about how good it is, but in Indy where most people think boiled ribs is good BBQ, that does not mean much! Last night we went to check it out. They have two Southern Pride smokers and a bunch of hickory logs sitting right up front for everyone to see... looks nice! The service was amazing, the people were nice, they even gave us some samples to try. We ended up getting the City Deluxe Sampler which has ribs, brisket, pulled pork, chicken, cornbread, and two other sides. The sides we got were hush puppies and mac & cheese. They make their own sauce, so we tried the spicy and the mild. Here is the verdict:

Pulled Pork: Dried out with some smoke flavor, but by the taste, it was obviously not smoked with fire. Sorry, but I'm one of those who can tell.

Brisket: Tender, but dry with a mild smoke flavor, but I think the dryness was because it had been sitting under a heat lamp for a long time. Overall not real bad, but still in the bad category.

Chicken: Not bad, smoke flavor was really mild to none, but at least the breast was moist and it was not bad chicken at all.

Ribs - St. Louis Style: The most splendid and magnificent FAIL ever! Dry, tough, no smoke flavor, thin like those cheapie danish ribs you get from Kroger on sale for the holidays. I would NEVER get them again!

Mac & Cheese: Very Good!

Cornbread: Delicious!

Hush Puppies: Long John Silvers are better.

The final verdict... if you want to go out for some good BBQ, skip this place, and GO OUT into your backyard and make some! Or, have one of the Bretheren in your local area to hook you up!

I've actually been there a few times. Your right hardly no smoke flavor. It's almost like those smokers they have are for show. On the other hand I got pork and brisket both times and they were super moist and tender. Didn't try the sides just went in to get meat by the pound. I was pleasantly surprised. Must have got lucky.

They are gas smokers.

Same as cooking bbq in an oven.

Don't be surprised.

Back