MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
MazmanQ
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Who knows how to BBQ some Goat?

My son's girlfriend raises goats and has challenged me to figure out how to BBQ some. Not sure what cut I'll get, but her father offered up some ribs and I'm thinking maybe a leg or shoulder would work. I hear that the meat is lean and needs basting or injection to keep it from drying out and getting tough. My instinct is to cook it slow at about 225F and smoke lightly with hickory. Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can impress the possible future in-laws.
MazmanQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
coyotero
Knows what a fatty is.

MazmanQ.

Google "coyotero, cabrito"

JV
coyotero is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
stanimals2
Full Fledged Farker

Sorry but I have to say EEEWWWW ! to each their own though ! Good luck
stanimals2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Ive cooked a few some darn good eating I got this recipe from a Mexian hand that I used to work with every time I make it there is nothing but bones left and happy people.

Goat in Chile Marinade, Pit-Barbecue Style

Barbacoa de Cabrito

Ingredients
4 ounces guajillo chiles (about 16 large chiles), tops and seeds removed
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 teaspoon whole cloves, or 3/4 teaspoon ground
10 allspice berries
1/3 cup dried Oaxacan oregano or 1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano, crumbled
12 to 15 large sprigs fresh thyme (leaves only), or 2 teaspoons dried
10 garlic cloves
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 teaspoon salt or to taste, plus additional for seasoning goat
Freshly ground black pepper
1 16-pound goat, quartered, or 6 to 8 pounds lamb shoulder, bone in, trimmed
1/2 to 3/4 ounce dried avocado leaves, about 30 large leaves

Preparation

Wash and griddle-dry the chiles by the directions below. Place in a deep bowl and cover generously with boiling water. Let soak for at least 20 minutes.

Grind the cumin, cloves, allspice, oregano, and dried thyme (if using) together in an electric coffee or spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle.

Drain the soaked chiles. Working in batches as necessary, place them in a blender with the ground herbs and spices (add fresh thyme at this point if using), garlic, onion, vinegar, salt, and about 1/2 cup water (or enough to facilitate the action of the blades). Process to a smooth purée (about 3 minutes on high), stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula. With a wooden spoon or pusher, for the purée through a medium-mesh sieve into a bowl. It should have the consistency of a thick but still moist paste.

Season the pieces of goat or lamb with salt and pepper. Slather the seasoning paste all over the meat. Arrange in a large bowl (or any non-reactive container that's large enough), cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight or for at least 4 hours. Remove from the refrigerator about 2 hours before beginning the cooking, to let the meat come to room temperature.

Preheat the pit to 325°F.

Choose a deep roasting pan or baking dish large enough to hold the meat snugly. Scatter half of the avocado leaves across the bottom of the pan and arrange the meat on them. Scatter the remaining leaves over the meat, cook un covered for 2 hrs Cover the pan (wrapping very tightly with several layers of foil if there is no lid) and bake 4 to 5 hours . The meat should be almost falling off the bone.

Notes:

Avocado Leaves Buy the dried imported avocado leaves sold in packets in Mexican groceries. Though sizes are not standardized, they generally come in 1/4-ounce packets, sometimes with the contents fairly broken up. One ounce of dried avocado leaves is usually equivalent to about 30 leaves.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
NBBD
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanimals2 View Post
Sorry but I have to say EEEWWWW ! to each their own though ! Good luck
Though it was not Q I had the pleasure of eating goat for the first last year... Absolutely fantastic... (Marc Vetri...)

Since then I have had cabrito a few times and wish it was more convenient to get and cook myself...
NBBD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Sledneck had a great open spit thread someplace...

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Not to change the subject but I saw this in a shop in Boston and had to grab a pic.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
QTEX
Full Fledged Farker

Goat is one of those meats that really is best kept simple imo kinda like a good steak. We cook them all the time down here. Salt pepper equal amounts then 1/8 part garlic powder and 1/8 part onion powder. Cook directly over coals at 250 if cooking whole do one hour each side and get ready for the accolades. lots of pictures on my facebook page if ya want to check it out. facebook.com/smokin'lonestar
QTEX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #9
Elrik
On the road to being a farker

Re: the sign at the butcher... Goat is one of those meats where fresh kill is best, so signs like that are very common in places that specialize in it.

As for the recipe request, i have used this recipe and it turned out amazing
http://www.cookstr.com/recipes/meacu...-berber-spices

You can see the results and read my modifications to it in the following link http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=141621

Would definitely suggest you start out trying a leg whichever recipe you go with.
Elrik is offline   Reply With Quote