HELP: Cooker Running cold. How much time to add for the Turkey.

G$

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I was planning on running the WSM22 at 300, for ~5.5 hours for my 16.5 pound bird.

It doesn't want to run hotter than 275 today (wind) and I am not inclined to fight it.

How much later are we eating today if I run at 275 instead of 300? Will this add an hour?

G$, sounds pretty close but maybe a fuzz longer. I use a UDS and they are somewhat similar. Good luck Bro. OBTW, its 32 degees here right now with beautiful sunny sky...what's you day like? Happy Thanksgiving!

Are you using water in the water pan? If so that might be the issue with the temps. I do not use water anymore. Either dry pan or clay saucer is all I ever use. Or you need to start with more lit coals at the start. I would have to guess that an hour extra is probably about right.

Another thing to consider is when you first start your wsm to get the temps up a bit more than what your desired temp is. This way when the meat goes on you have less of a drop in temp. Once back at the the desired temp you can start closing your vents to get to where you want it to stay. Good luck with your cook and enjoy the holiday. Vince

I cook mine at 20-25 minutes/lb @ 225-250, and remove when the internal temp is 160.
Turns out great
If you have concerns about those low temps (you shouldn't be) you can cook it for the first hour at 325, this will kill any possible surface bacteria.

Are you using water in the water pan? If so that might be the issue with the temps. I do not use water anymore. Either dry pan or clay saucer is all I ever use. Or you need to start with more lit coals at the start. I would have to guess that an hour extra is probably about right.

Another thing to consider is when you first start your wsm to get the temps up a bit more than what your desired temp is. This way when the meat goes on you have less of a drop in temp. Once back at the the desired temp you can start closing your vents to get to where you want it to stay. Good luck with your cook and enjoy the holiday. Vince

I start with just a little water - It should boil off soon which will help temps a bit. I might get around 300 half way through the cook.

I know to let the wsm come above temp - but it just was not going to get there this am. Had to put meat on at 275. Weather is nice, high around 75, but the mornign breeze is cold and it hasn't hit 60 yet.

I cook mine at 20-25 minutes/lb @ 225-250, and remove when the internal temp is 160.
Turns out great
If you have concerns about those low temps (you shouldn't be) you can cook it for the first hour at 325, this will kill any possible surface bacteria.

Not worried about cooking low and slow. As stated in original post, wanted to cook hotter for tim econsiderations.

I was planning on running the WSM22 at 300, for ~5.5 hours for my 16.5 pound bird.

It doesn't want to run hotter than 275 today (wind) and I am not inclined to fight it.

How much later are we eating today if I run at 275 instead of 300? Will this add an hour?
Should have kept the Spicewine, wind don't bother them. :wink:

You guys and your newfangled 22" WSMs.

Gotta go Old School with an 18.5" WSM or, better yet, go really Old School and use a rotisserie ring on a Kettle do a Two Hour Turkey.

Back