Essentials that every Smoker setup should have?

M

mirage

Hi!

I am getting my 22.5" WSM this Monday and was wondering besides a Weber chimney, charcoal, wood chunks and starter cubes, what else should I purchase prior to smoking? I have been reading ALL about thermometers but not sure they are essential for the first cook (have a burger probe from Williams-Sonoma). Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Abe

Meat. Otherwise you're just wasting your time. I suggest pork butts and maybe a couple fatties for the maiden voyage.

There is absolutely no need to fire it up empty. (See above. :rolleyes: )

Enjoy!

Nor would I include starter cubes in the essential list. I've never used them so they cannot be essential. Brown paper (old style grocery bags, charcoal bags) work well as do pieces of newspaper.

Oh, and welcome to the Brethren! :D

A small metal trash can you can put ashes in for a few days to make sure all the tiny little embers go out. They can burn for at least a day. Don't ask me how I learned that one.:oops:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
starter cubes? newspaper does great, fyi.

bbq gloves as said above. also, do not rely on the external mounted thermometer. when we talk about cooking temperature, we're talking about the cooking surface temperature. A $5 oven thermometer goes a long way (sitting ON the grate, right next to the meat).

This is kind of a simple little thing, but I always have a cheap pair of tongs hanging on my kettle, for arranging coals, wood chunks, etc..

i've been BBQing for a good 20 plus years, the weber starter cubes(THAT I JUST FARKIN STARTED USING)have changed my outdoor cooking life.

i say ESSENTIAL.

Well, as other's have said - pretty much a waste of smoke if there is not meat on it. Likewise, starter cubes do not light themselves. Finally grabbing cooked meat off the grid with your fingers hurts.

Not at all essential, but the two optional items that have influenced my smoking the most were an electronic draft control (bbq guru), and a thermapen (abet the temp probe on the guru could have done that - but the pen allows fast temp sampling).

Hmmm lets see: Therma Pen, beer, poulder probe, beer, a good knife, a good pair of gloves, beer, did I mention beer yet????

A maverick wireless thermometer . A good supply of rubs , rolls of foil . A big tray or pan for meat transport from the kitchen to the BBQ. A cooler for resting butts and briskest.

And BEER.

:doh:

pokers, toothpick for ribs, something a bit bigger for brisket. the bone wiggle is good for butts.

Thanks for all the suggestions and the warm welcome! Haha about the meat. We homebrew so have all the beer we can drink (was actually gonna make brew day a smoke/brew day!). I keep reading about the thermapen... Is it really worth the price? Also as far as welding gloves go would you recommend any I'm particular or just grab any old pair that has big gauntlets?

Back