MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
Bluehawg
Full Fledged Farker

Default >Bluehawg's 120 Gallon Smoker Build

I'm working on a new build. Mixing some of the original design I had in mind with some neat and ingenious ideas I've gotten from here, mainly from Phrasty's builds. Glad I found this site and was directed to his build threads. I was not only impressed but inspired to be more creative in my design and change a few things up.

This is probably going to be slow going because I'm a shop teacher and am using this as a teaching project so I'm having to work at the student's pace. Anyway, I'm going to try to post up some pics as I go along and hope to get some suggestions as I go.

Here's what happened first... Example of what not to do. DIDN'T have my welding shirt buttoned and was using grinder with cut off wheel. Started smelling burning hair/flesh and looked up and asked the boys, "Ya'll smell something burning?" That was when I realized I WAS WHAT WAS BURNING and the flames were making their way up to my face. I started slappin em out and using strong language. Kids got a kick out of it. Used it as a teaching moment. LOL... and now chest is burned a little, ruined TWO shirts, decided it was time to let one of the boys finish the cut for me while I licked my wounds... I can attest to the fact that scorching yo titty nipple is not advisable. It was hot and fast at least, not lo and slow...

Here is one of my boys finishing a cut for me while I slosh cold water on my chest... Bet I won't leave that welding shirt unfastened again. Lesson learned.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Interesting project. Looking forward to its progress.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
tdwalker
Full Fledged Farker

Nice! A little self sacrafice for the edumucation of the chil'ren.

Keep posting as the build progresses!

Old 12-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #4
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Glad you're getting this off the ground now. Nice ahm... Lesson for the kids there with the shirt. Should get a couple pair of work gloves for them as well. Fingers are a good thing to keep around for a while!

I was gonna message you this morning about the issue I thought you had with all the valves and stuff on the tank. Sometimes I just screw them out and seal the holes with threaded bungs and that takes care of them. I usually flip the tank so that those holes are on the bottom on the smoker. But unless you've already cut them off it doesn't matter much.

I'll be watching this! Good luck.
Cheers.
1 - 25 gal. self-made vertical smoker
1 - 120 gal. self-made trailer stick-burner

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=88599
Phrasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #5
mytmouz
is One Chatty Farker

Lot's of pics please...

Trailer mounted reverse flow stick burner. Rehomed
Weber Kettle #1 Black. Rehomed
Weber Kettle #2 Copper
Weber Kettle #3, Dads old cooker. Rehomed
Brinkman electric. Rehomed
Weber Smokey Joe. Rehomed
Small Sunbeam tailgater. Rehomed
Brinkman vertical smoker. Rehomed
Little Chief electric smoker. Rehomed
And 2 UDS go to set ups... Rehomed
mytmouz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
Bluehawg
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrasty View Post
Glad you're getting this off the ground now. Nice ahm... Lesson for the kids there with the shirt. Should get a couple pair of work gloves for them as well. Fingers are a good thing to keep around for a while!

I was gonna message you this morning about the issue I thought you had with all the valves and stuff on the tank. Sometimes I just screw them out and seal the holes with threaded bungs and that takes care of them. I usually flip the tank so that those holes are on the bottom on the smoker. But unless you've already cut them off it doesn't matter much.

I'll be watching this! Good luck.
Cheers.
Yes, fingers are nice to have around, I just didn't make him wear gloves then because, well frankly I was on fire... No seriously, after trying to use that .040 cutting wheel on that little grinder WITH gloves on, I opted to not use them because I had more control of the machine without and it wanted to jump, buck, and crawl real bad. I sacrificed getting hit with a few sparks on the hand in order to ensure more control. I'm more scared of that thing losing control and that disc fragmenting and shooting em in the eye that I am of the sparks, aside from catching my shirt on fire...

That is only the 2'd time I've ever caught myself on fire metal working. First time I let some slag fall on my pants leg while I was welding and apparently had some frayed material bout midways up the leg. I could feel the heat and knew I was smoldering (didn't realize it was actually blazing though), however I had a REALLY good bead going and didn't want to stop so I just did the "stinky leg" and "walked it out" until I got that bead finished... Then the fire slappin and cursing was able to commence unfettered.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #7
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehawg View Post

When I cut or grind, I like to keep my face off center of the blade, in case it throws a chunk off in my direction.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:50 PM   #8
Bluehawg
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
When I cut or grind, I like to keep my face off center of the blade, in case it throws a chunk off in my direction.
That's a good point. Never thought about that. I did set the guard on the grinder so that it would protect the face and direct everything down though. Just happened to be stooped over and was throwing sparks on my chest when I caught ablaze> LOL

Old 12-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
BigBobBQ
Babbling Farker

very nice project I can't wait to see the finished cooker at the end and the first batch of Q that comes off of it.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #10
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Cool that you may be sparking (no pun intended) an interest in pit making or Que in some skulls full of mush. Go bless you as an educator of our youth.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:24 PM   #11
Bluehawg
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBobBQ View Post
very nice project I can't wait to see the finished cooker at the end and the first batch of Q that comes off of it.
My mouth is already watering for all sorts of sweet goodness I plan to create on it

Old 12-02-2011, 12:11 AM   #12
thenicksfam
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
I still remember a buddy of mine that had a blade shatter and the piece that missed his face by mm went through 2 sheets of 5/8 sheetrock. made us think and then get back to work after wasting time thinking.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:36 AM   #13
mytmouz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehawg View Post
My mouth is already watering for all sorts of sweet goodness I plan to create on it
Same here...

Trailer mounted reverse flow stick burner. Rehomed
Weber Kettle #1 Black. Rehomed
Weber Kettle #2 Copper
Weber Kettle #3, Dads old cooker. Rehomed
Brinkman electric. Rehomed
Weber Smokey Joe. Rehomed
Small Sunbeam tailgater. Rehomed
Brinkman vertical smoker. Rehomed
Little Chief electric smoker. Rehomed
And 2 UDS go to set ups... Rehomed
mytmouz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2011, 02:42 PM   #14
Bluehawg
Full Fledged Farker

Default Old Plumbing Holes Patched.

Haven't had a chance to get a whole lot more done but have managed to cut all the patches and weld them in place where the old plumbing valves were. I used the scrap from the rectangular hole I had cut for the firebox to enter so that the patches would have the same curvature and be made of the same material as the tank. After welding them tight I ground the welds off smooth so the patches would be seamless and after painting won't be evident. Probably spent more time and effort on this step than I should have (should have just cut dang pieces and welded them on and left welds visible) but I guess that is the OCD coming out in me.

I've also marked out and made the top cut of the door and made about 6-8 cut down each side of the door so that I can put hinges and seal on before I finish cutting out door.

Here's a pic of the patches.

Here is a pic that shows where I had cut the plumbing valves out BEFORE patching.

I had cut them out square so they would be easier to cut a patch for. There were a total of four to patch. Don't know if you can tell or not but between the firebox hole and the hole on the far right is one that I had just put the patch in. Had not welded it yet. There is also a TINY one in the left edge of the firebox hole. I think it was like 1" by 5/8" that one was super fun to cut out and clean up :/ Didn't have much to hold on to, too small to put in a vice and dang near had to get a small pair of long nose pliers and man handle it with one hand and use the grinder one armed. It would have probably made for an interesting video if I would have had a third arm to hold the camera. :)

One note on the patch job, I learned a good lesson in that 6013 rods aren't the absolute best to do the patch jobs on due to their expansion/shrinking as they are welded then cool down. It causes the welds to stress crack. The 6013's don't quite penetrate well enough to take the stress of shrinkage and when I ground off the top of the welds it made it have enough stress to "pop" a hairline crack. Probably wouldn't have been visible in the finished product BUT the OCD kicked in again and I finally just got irratated and used a 6011 rod to repair the last crack and once it cooled I ground it flush and went over it with a 6013 to fill in any undercut I had so it would be a smooth and flush patch.

Last edited by Bluehawg; 12-07-2011 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: added a pic.
Bluehawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #15
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

So, how the build going?