MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:46 PM   #1
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David
Default Bad News on Beef Prices

Beef prices hit all-time high in U.S.

"We're dealing with chronically low herds," said Richard Volpe, an economist for the USDA. "Beef prices should remain at near-record highs this year and into 2015."
Volpe and other experts say American consumers probably will think twice at the supermarket meat aisle, forgoing steak and ground beef for cheaper sources of protein.
"Chicken and other poultry may stand to benefit from this whole big mess," said Smith of Archer Financial Services.
One reason why beef prices will take some time to ease: Calves require more than two years to gain enough weight for slaughter. And not every rancher will still have a herd to breed from after so much liquidation.

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I love chicken!

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2014, 10:14 PM   #3
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The only beef I absolutely must have in my freezer is brisket. I can just grind that stuff down to make hamburgers. I'll make us some steaks every now and again, but pork, fish, and chicken work just fine for me realistically.
Of course now pork's the new beef price wise it seems.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:41 PM   #4
martyleach

Right. And pork is starting to rocket up as well. Probably in response to the beef price. Just bought a 3 pack of St. Louis ribs at Costco for (gag) $3.99/lb. Up a buck in the last month. Really glad I stocked my freezer with $1.99/lb brisket point corned beef this last St. Paddy's day..... I'm feeling that chicken and fish are in my future!

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2014, 11:12 PM   #5
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Marty, I know what you mean.. sigh.. this is depressing. I want to learn how to hunt.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-08-2014, 11:38 PM   #6
martyleach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
Marty, I know what you mean.. sigh.. this is depressing. I want to learn how to hunt.
Right, hunting is a great option unless you want beef. Shooting a cow is not exactly a good idea nor is shooting a pig on a farm. I'd say game birds are the best option. Duck is awesome and so is wild goose. Dang, where's my 12 gauge?

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2014, 11:57 PM   #7
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

Don't get too excited about hunting! The new regs and the anti gun nuts will and have driven the cost of lead, if you can even still use led bullets and the cost of gun ownership out of sight. Have you bought any 22 ammo lately? I used to shoot a lot of skeet and "clays", but the cost of lead has caused that hobby to wane over the last few years for me. Too bad since hunting has been a big part of our lives for centuries. I better get off that soap box before I loose my religion. Guess I need to dig up my fishing gear and clean it up.

Blessings,
Omar

Old 04-09-2014, 12:20 AM   #8
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I love chicken!
No cheet! Prices on bone in breasts and quarters are cheap this week. I'm filling up the freezer. That said, I really do LOVE some grilled or smoked bird! We did groceries for the month this Sunday. Bought a couple 4lb bags of tilapia for about 12 bucks each. With about 18 fillets each, worked out to about .66 or so per fillet.
Also, went to Wally World early on Sunday...........picked up some marked down beef and lamb, chicken, and pork. The beef ribs are trimmed and not a whole lotta meat, but for a couple slabs we will get some teeth time on em. The whole fryers (2) can't beat em. Plus, I'll get LOTS of stock from the bones, etc. The lamb chops........that's my GREEDY pleasure. Only I will eat em and I won't buy em at the regular price! Dad's treat. As for the pork......well, around here, they only put the yellow tag on one time. Stuff sells quick and won't see a second mark down. Once it's in my freezer, it feeds the family. Thank GOD, my kids are not picky eaters. They will eat fish or porterhouse. It's all good to them. I'm going to take advantage of the chicken specials locally this week. I have my stand up freezer about 3/4's full. I wish I had it stocked with packers......but protein in general is good for us!
These were marked down late Saturday night or very early on Sunday. Early bird..........Sam's and Costco's does it too. I'm gonna hit my little meat market and see what they can give my on bulk for some of their lean ground beef.

7 Bones per slab.

MY TREAT!!!

2 of these fryers.

With the prices out now, I'll take it.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2014, 12:30 AM   #9
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

I'm seriously thinking about buying and processing a goat or lamb too. Locally, for the price, I can't beat it to process and stuff it in the freezer. I can do the same with a whole hog, but it's a bit more work and takes up lots of freezer space. However, if a deal comes through, that piggy is in the deep freeze!
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2014, 01:32 AM   #10
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

I'd like to buy a gutted whole hog for a good low price. It'd be fun to learn how to butcher it all.. could do it all myself. Seems like I could get it at a significant discount if I processed the entire thing myself.

I know most city codes don't allow for the slaughter of animals for food, but they don't prohibit processing a whole already gutted animal inside your home do they?

Old 04-09-2014, 02:10 AM   #11
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

No offense to the OP, but what is this the 20th thread on the subject in the past 2 months?

Old 04-09-2014, 04:40 AM   #12
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
Right. And pork is starting to rocket up as well. Probably in response to the beef price. Just bought a 3 pack of St. Louis ribs at Costco for (gag) $3.99/lb. Up a buck in the last month. Really glad I stocked my freezer with $1.99/lb brisket point corned beef this last St. Paddy's day..... I'm feeling that chicken and fish are in my future!
pork has its own problems, well documented on this board

PED is the major reason

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ills-baby-pigs
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2014, 06:23 AM   #13
Wolverine
is one Smokin' Farker

Times are not going to get any better with food prices. My homey Fred said it back in 58,teach your kids to hunt it might save their life, In the wind he's still alive,

(If some of our teenage thrill seekers really want to go out and get a thrill. Let them go up into the north west and let them tangle with a Grizzly bear or Polar bear or brown bear and get that effect that will cleanse the soul)

Old 04-09-2014, 06:25 AM   #14
bigabyte

Bugs are cheap sources of protein.

You go first.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2014, 06:32 AM   #15
dwfisk

Name/Nickname : Dave

Sounds like the south might have a reason to get our ferral hog problems under control

Thanks from: --->