Brisket in the cold

Muscrat

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Today it's about 18 deg in central west texas and for some reason I've decided it time to cook outside. But hey why not. I have 3 briskets ranging from 11 to 13 lbs. One for myself, a brother in law and a buddy. I think they are probably still sleeping. I got them trimmed, dusted and ready to go. temp will be around 300 deg. So here we go!!!!

Last edited:
Great looking briskies! Popcorn standing by

Oh don't you mean cool outside though?

I got a chuckie on and it was 16F when I started getting Colt fired up. Can't wait to see them briskets all done up Muscrat style!

The temp is cruising good at 300° and doesn't seem to need much more wood than on a warm day. The insulated box will make you lazy!! The dog is even thinking it's too cold to be outside.

Last edited:
Shananay is one sexy momma might even say Samokein hot!:becky: have a nice cook I gonna hunker down with some High test by the fire (But not to close the Space Shuttle can run on this stuff) and watch the show.

Yep Maker's 46 time. The Yankee Brethren will scoff at our Cool Temps. However southern boys and girls are smokin and grillin. I kept the giblets out of the turkey packet. Gonna grill those puppies up- chop fine sautéed with onion and garlic THEN mix with a mixture of cream cheese and sour cream for some redneck pate later. Game day.

Ok so now I'm getting bored. I thawed out some spicy deer breakfast sausage and mixed in some cheddar cheese. It'll be naked. Here we are at 2.5 hrs.

Last edited:
And a quick shot of how much fire it takes to cruise at 300°. I just added the second split since 8:00!!

In my humble opinion the reason smokers take more wood in the cold weather is because the stack is colder therefore making the draw slower. Well it's part of it anyway!!! I notice that the stack temp is a lot colder. Cool enough to lay ur hand on it.

Last edited:
looking good bro. Time to insulate the stack! lol
Yeah the wheels are already turning. I have a spare stack in the shop. It's the one I had on it originally. It might receive a retrofit if ya know what I mean.

It took 1 hr for the fatty to reach 160° internal temp. Holy snikeys this thing is good.

Last edited:
4 hrs in and looking ok. Time to put on some butcher paper!!

Last edited:
Looks Good - is that Fine Example of a Meat Smoking Stick Burner still for Sale? :mrgreen:

Awesome smoker. That thing is beautiful. You do great work!

Back