MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
Blanton
is One Chatty Farker

Default Battle box vs fatboy

I'm torn between the two. I use a 22 WSM and looking for more space to move from backyard to sanctioned events. Like the idea that the battle box will hold a hotel pan. Don't know if that is that big of deal or not. For some reason I feel I will still be cramped with the box.

I know several here use the BB. Any regreats with its size?
Blanton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
I'm torn between the two. I use a 22 WSM and looking for more space to move from backyard to sanctioned events. Like the idea that the battle box will hold a hotel pan. Don't know if that is that big of deal or not. For some reason I feel I will still be cramped with the box.

Humphrey's has wider versions of cookers.

Go to Brethren Sales Ventures and there is a list of different smokers.

I wanted the Backwoods Professional, but chose a Down East Beast. I am happy I didn't settle for the Professional.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
matty101
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Not familiar with Battle Box, but it is my understanding that Backwoods is coming-out with a G2 Fatboy (like their G2 Chubby and G2 Party) soon. The additional depth of the unit will accommodate a hotel pan easily...
matty101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 03:11 AM   #4
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

If you already have the WSM, any of these cookers will get you to where you need to be.

Just because you can use the one cooker to cook it all does not mean you should.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 06:20 AM   #5
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

after getting an insulated vertical, youll want a bigger insulated vertical and your wsm will be neglected
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #6
Indybbq
Knows what a fatty is.

I've been wondering the same thing.... Whether a battle box has enough space for competiton meat.
Indybbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 08:52 AM   #7
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

Brethren Polishdon did a whole comp on one and if I remember correctly did very well in a couple categories while he was at it. here is a pic he posted of 2 butts and a brisket in the battle box. I guess it comes down to how much meat you want to cook for a comp. If your talking 4 butts and 2 briskets, your getting very full.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #8
Indybbq
Knows what a fatty is.

I wonder if you could fit 2 butts on one rack and be able to do 2 or 3 racks of ribs on another. Looks like it might be tight based on the picture.
Indybbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #9
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

2 butts would comfortably fit on a rack. I had a G2 Chubby with very simular grate size. wouldnt be a problem getting 2 butts on. I scoff at some "listed" capacities on some smokers. just because you can fit 4 butts on a 15.5"x21.5" rack doesnt mean you should.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #10
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

2 racks per rack would be luxury. maybe 3 if you trimmed them shorter and went left to right with them insteead of front to back.

Check out the Humphreys Cube!

Old 07-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #11
sfisch
is One Chatty Farker

Is the battle box smaller than a fat boy or pretty much the same size?
Humphreys Battle Box
Chargriller Akorn, Akorn Jr.
Certified Moink Baller, CBJ# 53817
sfisch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #12
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

BB about 5" narrower than a fatboy but 2.5" deeper to allow pans

Or there is the Humphreys BB'cube which is a jacked up fatboy. 20x22" racks and 2.5" taller cook chamber

Old 07-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #13
Blanton
is One Chatty Farker

BB has three rack around 15x21 vs 4 19x19. Comes down to which size better fits what you cook. Don't know which one yet, but I have pretty much decided on a Humphreys
Blanton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #14
polishdon
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untraceable View Post
Brethren Polishdon did a whole comp on one and if I remember correctly did very well in a couple categories while he was at it. here is a pic he posted of 2 butts and a brisket in the battle box. I guess it comes down to how much meat you want to cook for a comp. If your talking 4 butts and 2 briskets, your getting very full.

Not sure how I missed this thread, but yes I was able to do an entire comp on the battle box. I did 2 pork butts and a brisket, then in the morning I was able to put my 3 racks of ribs on the other 2 cook racks. Once I wrapped the big meats I had enough room to do my thighs. The picture above is from a different cook.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #15
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

They have the BB Cube out which is 28 by 28 by 42 outside dimensions. Fits full hotel pans as well if you are looking at more space.