MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:56 PM   #1
T-Man
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Backwoods Smoker Fatboy.....???

Any experiences reviews etc...... Thanks....

Old 03-24-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

bump
Previous: BWS Competitor (sold 2012), WSM - 18.5" (2009, sold 2011), WSM - 18.5" (2004, sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen, Yellow MK4, Fireboard, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
MilitantSquatter

I don't have one, but I've seen them in use many times and they produce a solid final product if you like the cabinet style units and charcoal.

A number of members here own them, they just may not have seen this thread yet. I'm sure they'll chim in.

PM Muzzlebrake for details, I know he owns one and likes it.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2010, 08:04 PM   #4
Cigarbque
Full Fledged Farker

T-Man,

I just picked up a BWS Party. I have used it only a few times so still getting a feel for how it wants to cook. So far it has been great. The Fat Boy will give you more depth space on the racks. Solid construction yet easy to move around, and the temps are spot on (using a Guru). The BWS line is a rib cookers dream. Did a few birds on it Sunday and they were even more moist than the BGE produced.

Shame the Party can't hold more fuel and water casue if it did i could forget it till the product was done. Very happy with it so far and I only expect that to improve as I lean more about it.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:35 PM   #5
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Any Backwoods is a great cooker. I think Smokin Joe from Tippie Canoe uses the Fatboy.

Dan

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2010, 08:48 PM   #6
mjl
On the road to being a farker

I have a had a Fatboy, Party, and a Chubby, all excellent cookers. I don't think you can go wrong with any BWS cooker.

Cigar- try making a charcoal basket that sits inside the Party charcoal pan, run it up to a few inches under your water pan or heat diverter. Depending on your fuel and cooking temps, you can nearly get a contest long burn time.

ML

Old 03-24-2010, 10:26 PM   #7
T-Man
is one Smokin' Farker

What be the cooking time on one load of charcoal , without a Guru...???
Also how about using a stoker with the Fatboy....??

Old 03-25-2010, 05:24 AM   #8
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

T-Man, a lot depends on how long you can cook on one load. Typically I can get 4-6 hours on one load of charcoal in my Party. I cook at about the 250 degree range. I do not use a Guru, I feel you do not need a guru/stoker with the backwoods...
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller
Past President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2010, 06:44 AM   #9
Bob S
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjl View Post
I have a had a Fatboy, Party, and a Chubby, all excellent cookers. I don't think you can go wrong with any BWS cooker.

Cigar- try making a charcoal basket that sits inside the Party charcoal pan, run it up to a few inches under your water pan or heat diverter. Depending on your fuel and cooking temps, you can nearly get a contest long burn time.

ML
Good advice here. I extended the sides of my BWS Party charcoal pan with expanded metal and can easily go 8 hours without reloading.
I love my Party!
WSM 18"
Weber 22.5" Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver "Guinness" Kettle
Weber Genesis gasser
Blazin' Buttz BBQ Team www.blazinbuttz-bbq.com
Bob S is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2010, 09:32 AM   #10
jrb03
Full Fledged Farker

Another extremely happy BWS Party owner here. I have not got around to extending the charcoal pan to hold more fuel, hasnt been an issue to spend the time on it. I have had 8+ hours before with briquettes, and with the heat diverter the water lasts about as long. We started competing this year and have been using only lump. The way our schedule is at comps I dont over pack it, and get about 4 hours between loads, but thats the way I like it.

I tried the stoker years ago when I first got the party, and frankly I didnt care for it. The product worked as described, but the Party didnt need it and it was more a bother than anything. Im a tech geek, but once the novelty wore off, it was just a chore to setup and take down. I can dial my Party into my 240 - 250 zone with both eyes closed and half asleep.

If we ever upgrade to a bigger smoker, it will be another BWS. The fatboy your looking at has the same cooking space as the party, just configured differently. I chose the Party over the fatboy because of the weight, and now that we started competing im glad i did. Get whatever configuration suits you better.

50+ lbs of brisket, could of done 2 more.

Pitmaker Vault
Pitmaker Grill-Meister

Backwoods Party
Backwoods Chubby

Weber Performer
WSM
Weber Smokey Joe Gold

Good Riddence
Peppercookers Trailer Offset
Chargriller Tailgate Grill
jrb03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2010, 09:33 AM   #11
btcg
Babbling Farker

Gawd... how do all of you guys get away with having all these different grills/smokers? Am I missing something here? Some trick I should be using?

My wife was p'd off when she saw my Kiwi knives... can't imagine what another smoker would do.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:41 AM   #12
jrb03
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcg View Post
Gawd... how do all of you guys get away with having all these different grills/smokers? Am I missing something here? Some trick I should be using?

My wife was p'd off when she saw my Kiwi knives... can't imagine what another smoker would do.
My secret is cook delicious food that her and her family cant get enough of!

Pitmaker Vault
Pitmaker Grill-Meister

Backwoods Party
Backwoods Chubby

Weber Performer
WSM
Weber Smokey Joe Gold

Good Riddence
Peppercookers Trailer Offset
Chargriller Tailgate Grill
jrb03 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:43 AM   #13
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb03 View Post
My secret is cook delicious food that her and her family cant get enough of!
I get it now... I've been trying to influence her in the bedroom. I was in the wrong place... all along!

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-25-2010, 09:45 AM   #14
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Can't cook on a set of knives. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcg View Post

Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2010, 09:47 AM   #15
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Can't cook on a set of knives. :)
Very true.