MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #271
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW View Post
Count me in. I would love a place where owners could share tips and recipes for the Akorn. Thanks, JM.
Would a blog format work best or should it be a message board format?

Old 03-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #272
certified106
Full Fledged Farker

I hope I am not stepping on toes posting this here as I was going to start a new thread but decided to put this quick update here. If it needs to be in a new thread let me know and I will move it.

I trialed a slow cook today and although I don't have a video camera I took a few quick shots as the time progressed. I forgot to take a picture of how I started it but just to let everyone know I placed about two inches of lump in a chimney, lit up, let it sit for about 10 minutes and dumped it in the very center of the cooker. I placed a probe in the center of the main grate and shut the air down to .5 on the lower vent and a little less than on on the top vent.

21 minutes in

about 30 minutes in the temps started to fall from the above photo and I opened the bottom vent to almost 1

After opening the bottom vent the temps came up to about 220 and 93 minutes in the temps were still about 220

My timer on the probe only goes to 99 minutes so I had to reset the timer and start it over so this is 118 minutes

140 minutes

179 minutes

195 minutes Hard to see but it is at 229°F

didn't reset the timer after the second 99 minute cycle but I let it go for about another thirty minutes and it was still at 228 with the bottom air just below 1 and the top cap between .5 and .75. It seems that if I closed it much more than that is just wanted to die out.

After trying that I am curious to see how it does with an 8 lb piece of meat on it. I also think this thing would respond very well to having the DigiQ Dx2 on it if it works as well as everyone says it will.

Edit: I wanted to add that I have no mods to the primary air at this point however I do want to seal around the primary with high temp silicone because as you can see from this photo it isn't sealed all that well. I think I will pull off the whole air plate and add silicone like a gasket and then place it back on.
certified106 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #273
RMsmokes
Got rid of the matchlight.

I think either would work fine. Whats easier?
RMsmokes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #274
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

That's excellent :) Yours must be a lot more air tight than mine.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #275
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMsmokes View Post
I think either would work fine. Whats easier?
Either one is about the same. The message board is a lot more flexible.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #276
certified106
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
That's excellent :) Yours must be a lot more air tight than mine.
Well you have cooked a few more high temp meals on yours than I have and I wonder if my gaskets will depress more as time goes on. I guess only time will tell. What type of natural lump are you using? I wonder if that is what the difference is as someone else posted above they were holding really steady at 235ish.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #277
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by certified106 View Post
Well you have cooked a few more high temp meals on yours than I have and I wonder if my gaskets will depress more as time goes on. I guess only time will tell. What type of natural lump are you using? I wonder if that is what the difference is as someone else posted above they were holding really steady at 235ish.
I'm using the dreaded Cowboy lump at the moment until the two bags I bought run out. I'll be switching to Royal Oak at that time.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #278
Beerbecue
Full Fledged Farker

Here's my new CG Akorn in it's new home. (Yeah, I had a lot of parts left over after assembly)
Beerbecue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #279
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerbecue View Post
Here's my new CG Akorn in it's new home. (Yeah, I had a lot of parts left over after assembly)
Nice Job!

Old 03-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #280
Ross
Knows what a fatty is.

Damn, that rocks, Beerbeque, that table's a fortress.

In regards to a blog, message board for CG Kamado owners, great idea, although I don't own one at the time, I own a large kamado grill and have enjoyed your postings. It's tough to beat the BBQ Brethren format, however. It's a clean, sleek page design, very fast loading, and has abundant traffic. You might think about leaving it right here. Either start a new thread after every 40-50 postings, or start a totally separate thread, outside of Q-talk, maybe a new thread in the Discussion Area. Not sure if a regular forum member has such privileges, but it might be worth checking out.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #281
AA Flyer
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

I would love a website for Akorn owners. I do not have mine yet but will purchase as soon as I can.
AA Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #282
certified106
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerbecue View Post
Man that is to cool!!!!I love it

Old 03-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #283
Hozman
Take a breath!

Is everyone using lump? Wondering if lower temp could be achieved with charcoal instead. I find lump burns a little hotter than charcoal.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #284
powerpig
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozman View Post
Is everyone using lump? Wondering if lower temp could be achieved with charcoal instead. I find lump burns a little hotter than charcoal.
I think you would get a creasote buildup using charcoal. I've been using Wicked Good Lump in mine with very good results.
powerpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #285
KingRanch450
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
If there is enough interest in this group of owners to do this, I'd be happy to create a blog where everyone could post their cooks, experiences, and photographs.
I'd be up for this

Tags
char-griller, chargriller, Kamado