Food grade UDS drum issues

EdRowe

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I have burned out the UDS barrel three times HOT and wire brushed in between!!! Outside is wire brushed down to bare metal. Inside is a different story...still places the primer that was beneath the red liner won't come off even with an angle grinder with wire wheel.

If it won't come off at the temps I have been running in there(red hot) and scouring the heck out of it with a wire wheel, do I really need to worry about it once it is seasoned and operating at 250-300 deg?

It is food grade...no problems right?

Some people say there's nothing to worry about. Others say that it's not worth the risk. At the end of the day, that's for you to decide. You're cooking on it, and you're serving it.

FWIW, spray on oven cleaner worked great for me.

It is my recommendation to avoid food grade drums entirely.
They only thing that makes them food grade is the lining..which most people remove anyways.
A non-coated drum that has been burnt out is your friend.
Look for ones that held motor oil, as opposed to chemicals.

It is my recommendation to avoid food grade drums entirely.
They only thing that makes them food grade is the lining..which most people remove anyways.
A non-coated drum that has been burnt out is your friend.
Look for ones that held motor oil, as opposed to chemicals.
Good advice. I think anything a barrel held would easily oxidize with a fire though. Like said drums that held a petroleum product are easy to locate. Also my last drum held a plastic bag so that was ideal. The inside was bare metal.

Good advice. I think anything a barrel held would easily oxidize with a fire though. Like said drums that held a petroleum product are easy to locate. Also my last drum held a plastic bag so that was ideal. The inside was bare metal.

Nope. I bought one that had a small amount of liquid in it that when burnt solidified into a glass like material. Ended up as a great burn barrel as it has that snazzy liner...

I've heard those red liners are a beast. Mine held apple juice concentrate and had a tan liner which came right out good luck man.

http://www.texasbarrelsupply.com/

To each their own but when it comes to food the risk isn't worth it in my opinion. I found this website which sells all kinds of 55 gallon drums, it even lists "BBQ Smoker" so I'd imagine they would have a new / used drum which wouldn't have the liner. Personally I would give them a call and see if you can get a new, unlined barrel... probably get one for under $50.

Good luck either way.

Well I have spent two days researching the chemicals used in food grade lining and, although the FDA has not declared them "food safe" (don't eat the paint chips) there is nothing declaring them to be toxic. One drum manufacturer that uses this lining suggested buring them out and wirebrushing what comes off easily but not to worry about the hard stuff (it is baked on). Nothing on "gassing" from this chemical compound or even the temp which that might occur at.

Now I am wondering if this just became an accepted practice in the UDS community out of a sense of caution....sort of like the 24 inch rule on grates which many have ignored with no damage to their Q.

stainless is clean, lasts a long time. I put a lot of love into mine and would hate to do it all again after a barrel burns / rusts out.

No sir. Very nice material to drill and cut. Also cleans up super new with Barkeepers Friend. If I had to do it over, I'd do it over. lol

yes lol

You have any problems drilling through that stainless?

Be sure to use a quality bit, oil, and allow bits to cool between holes. I use a few different size bits also, working the hole larger each time. Makes for easier drilling and longer lasting bits. Once a bit overheats it looses its edge. Also I tried buying a "metal" cutting 1 1/2" hole saw which barely left a mark before going dull on stainless steel. I suppose you get what you pay for so be sure to use quality bits

It was a piece of cake

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Tools-16-Inch-Step-Drill-10234/dp/B00004THZ0"]Amazon.com: Irwin Tools Unibit #4 3/16-Inch to 7/8-Inch Step-Drill Bit, 3/8-Inch Shank (10234): Home Improvement[/ame]

9k=

9k=

Last edited:
Never could understand the reasoning for removing the very thing which makes a food safe drum food safe. I read the msds sheet on the liner, nothing in the liner is toxic, it is USDA approved. Just season it and go to cooking.

It's plastic. And you're gonna burn it off at high temps. Would be nice to not also have to eat it. That's why it gets burned out or sanded or similar

Back