MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
smoke1198
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Big Event

Just got the news today, have secured a 1000 person gig. Will be doing pulled pork,drumsticks, 2 apptizers, slaw,tatar salad.

How much pork will this take?slaw?salad?
Will be serving lunch 11:30-1:00pm then will be able to serve to the public that will be in the beer garden with band.

What should we serve atfer the lunch crowd?
Was thinking ribs/brisquet....
thanks or all the input brothers
smoke1198 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

You're doing this big an event and you don't know how much Do you really mean a party for 1000 + the people at the beer garden or is there a smaller group for feeding then a max of 1000 at the beer garden Then the question is how many vendors and how many do you think will eat? 500 - 250?

If you already have the gig do you mind telling us what you priced it at? I'd expect it to be in the $18 range depending on the appetizers.

Pork 1000 people times 4 oz cooked witght = 4000 oz +10% = 4400 oz at 50% yield = 8800 oz raw weight or 550 lbs or 74 butts or 9.25 cases.
Also 1100 drumsticks.

4400 oz of slaw and potato salad. Not sure the weight to volume calculation on that but if you order in 1 or 5 gallon buckets you need roughly 35 gallons of each.

Good luck. Hope you have an army to pull the butts and cook the chicken. And you'll need a number of buffet lines. At 100 per hour you need 6 or 7 lines with teeams to stock each one.
Thanks from: --->
Old 03-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Ford you are right about that!

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Holy tamale!!! Hmmmm, IF you had 20 people pulling the pork, taking care to use all
the meat but throw away any fat, how long would it take them (all 20 people) non-stop
to pull 74+- butts? Basically, that's 4 each+-. I'm thinking a GOOD hour, realistically
they're not going to all stand there and do this non-stop, so you're looking at 2 hours,
IF you can get all 20 folks to stand there and pull the heck out of pork....

Wow at the scope/size of this. You need a crew, a BIIIIIG crew.

What, perhaps 16+- people cooking (dedicated)? 20 people on prep? If folks serve
themselves, I'm thinking the 36 people should be able to keep the food stocked...
You're right, 7, really 8 lines needed.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
Chuckwagonbbqco
is one Smokin' Farker

is it 1000 attending event? or is it feeding 1000?
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:17 PM   #6
smoke1198
Got rid of the matchlight.

1000 paid lunches....beer garden is not icluded in the event...
Will have 8 people working the lines,will be on site 24 hrs before event..
My partner is part of the guilde that got us the gig and we had to lowball previous caterer(italian restaruant owner)...contacts will be amazing...
I know this is going to be a ****load of work,but what a way to get into the catering side of the biz....
If we can pull this off we should be good to go
Thanks for the info...I'll take all I can get and we post pics of this when it is over...
smoke1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Good luck. I'd want more than 8 people even if you work 48 hours straight. And I think you'll have problems with only 1 person per serving line and 8 lines sounds about right. And the HD may visit you as you're also selling at the beer tent so watch the hot and cold serving temps. That's a lot of Cambros and chaffers. I'd plan 12-20 people for the main gig then if you sell to the beer tent folks you'll need additional cookers and cooks to do ribs and brisket. You'll need them ready to serve as soon as the main event is over. I'd use additional people that just focus on this part of the event.

My rough numbers say you need 6 FEC100's or more to do this. Or a Klose Rock's smoker. What are you cooking on?

Plan this out carefully as a screwup will also ruin your chance of catering in the area.

If you want someone to talk with PM me. And if you search the older posts there are a few that have done events of this asize who can probably also talk with you. Maybe somebody will PM you and offer.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:13 PM   #8
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Whoa, hope you've catered at least 200 ppl before or you are going to need a quick tutorial. You may need to do some subcontracting.

If, I scored a gig like this I would be calling my seasoned catering buddies in SOCAL for some assistance.