Talking stricktly briquettes - Kingsfor or R.O.

Whitewookie

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I know the consensus is lump, but I don't know of a ready source around me. I usually just get my charcoal at the commissary on base when we buy groceries. Just more convenient.

The two they carry is Kingsford and Royal Oak. Is there really that much difference between the two, other than price?

VR,
Harold

If that were my only choices, I would go for the Royal Oak brand.

The Commissary at Joint Base MDL here carries only briquettes, but the BX/PX has lump. Most times prices are cheaper off base when Walmart, Tru-Valu, Lowes, or Home Depot has their sale...

Joint base MDL used to be????

Can't get used to this ne joint base stuff...

VR,
Harold

Blue just because I am so used to it. That being said, I am so used to it because of the price (I am cheep as heck and stock up big time when it is one sale).

If you haven't tried them both yourself then give them each a test run to see what you like. The majority here might not be what you prefer. There are KBB haters out there, but lots of folks like it. Very cost effective and puts out good Q.

FWIW I use both KBB and RO in my weber kettles. In my experience I think KBB gives me a little longer burn and is more consistent for longer smokes but I like both. I don't think there is a big difference in performance for cooks under 4 hours. KBB tends to be involved with more massively discounted sales during the Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day sales in my area. RO has a nice everyday price around here.

Kingsford all the way, Kingsford is king period. Yes kingsford produces ash but its more consistent that any other wanna be out there.

Kingsford all the way royal oak is not anywhere near as good I tried RO recently and it is ok but Kingsford is a lot better

It burns too fast way to fast Kingsford has a better burn time then RO

Mustangs are faster than Cadillacs, I'd still rather ride in a Cadillac.

IMHO burn time doesn't make it better, I don't like the chemical smell or the taste of KBB. But that's what makes the world go round. The best charcoal out there is the one you like.

RO all the way. If you can find a store brand of ridge briqs, they are rebranded RO. I can routinely get 16.6 lb bags of rebranded RO for $4.99, and they go on sale for $2.99 a few times a year. Try getting that price with kingsford.

I've never had an issue with fast burn times using the RO rebranded stuff. It lights fast, provides good BTUs, and doesn't smell like a chemical factory. Ash is about the same, or close to that of kf blue.

Mustangs are faster than Cadillacs, I'd still rather ride in a Cadillac.

IMHO burn time doesn't make it better, I don't like the chemical smell or the taste of KBB. But that's what makes the world go round. The best charcoal out there is the one you like.

Yeah to each their own I just have had bad experience with RO as it burns to fast and lights very slowly once it is lit it burns too fast for me.

Back