Baby Back vs.Spare Ribs

C

Chefy

I’m an old man on the grill, but a newbie on the board. As to ribs, I only cook baby backs and never spare ribs. Baby backs are always good! When I read the threads, particularly competition, everyone seems to go spare ribs. Is it a cost issue? I have never competed, so am I cheating with the baby backs or simply missing the boat on spare ribs? If this is a sacrilege between Brethren, I apologize………….

Now that I have tried both I think I like spares the best. Tastier piece of meat IMHO.

Are you cooking on direct heat or indirect? Baby backs are more conducive to the former type of cooking than spares. (though both are better low and slow).

Spares (and St. Louis spares) have more fat. Pork fat tastes good! I like both but prefer St. Louis cut spares.

Has nothing to do with cost for me, I just like spares (trimmed to St Louis) better.

I also just like spares better. They are meatier and IMHO more forgiving than bb's.

However, whatever is on sale for the best bang for the buck price is what goes home with me for a normal weekend cook. :wink:

Since we're on the subject, what is the specific advantage of St. Louis trimmed spares vs untrimmed?

I promise I'm not trying to hijack the thread :becky: - figured this info would be useful for the OP as well

I also just like spares better. They are meatier and IMHO more forgiving than bb's.

However, whatever is on sale for the best bang for the buck price is what goes home with me for a normal weekend cook. :wink:

I'm with Vr6cop... I love the flavor of spares over bb. And, there is more to eat. I trim mine so they look like bb and that gives me alot more to eat.

I like spares best for the following reasons:

1. Texture. The gelatinous yummy moist deliciousness that melts when cooked at the right temperature for the right amount of time. Whereas with baby backs, you get mostly just the moist meat and none of the gelatinous cartilaginous. I love the meat between the cartilage in spares.

2. Price. I can often get it for $1.49/lb at Smart and Final, sometimes even 99 cents/lb. Baby backs are usually twice as much.

3. Taste. There is nothing like rack of spares cooked over a UDS. Spares have just the right amount of fat content to give you that vaporized drippings taste while still maintaining a good amount of moisture in the meat. I love it. I crave it about halfway through the week.

spares are what we smoke in comps.. BB are 5.95 a lb and spares are 1.59 a lb and you get more meat so spares it is lol

Darth, well said!

For me the cost is the best reason though :)

WOW $5.95/lb in CA?!?:shock: I don't even feel they are worth the $2.99 they go for here compared to Spares :)

For me, economics is part of the choice. Just started cooking ribs about 6 months back. I can usually get spares for $1.29 to $1.99, and a couple of times this summer for .99 cents per pound. BB's are x2 the amount. Not saying I would not want to do a taste comparison, but so far.. price has dictated what has went home with me.

Baby backs and spares are great ribs, I think spares are easier to cook (more forgiving), taste better, and more meat.

I used to think spares was alot cheaper, but not to sure, when I buy them at rest. depot, st. louis style, they are not that much cheaper, when I cut them myself, I throw away everything but the st. louis cut these days.

cost, cost, cost. $1.67 spares; $3.99 bb where I'm from. They both taste the same in my book. Babybacks are marketed better.

I like spares better as well. Cost is one reason but more importantly it's about flavor & variety. Spares just taste better to me and I can have both St. Louis Ribs and Rib Tips from the same cook. Cheers!!!

Back