MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:03 PM   #16
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Ron, I must have misunderstood what you were saying... I thought you were implying that there is no way to break down and box in only 15 or 20 minutes and expect good results.

Our plan for now is for each guy to take the lead on different meats and have one guy help. This frees up guy #3 to have a little head start (if needed) on the next meat. I just don't want to get luxurious with the time.
Yeah, I probably worded that poorly . I meant that if you spend 20 minutes breaking down one butt, and you cook two or three, you would need to have someone working on pork in parallel since that process could take an hour at that rate for three butts.

For us, as soon as my wife leave the trailer with the rib box I clean up the work station and get things ready for pork so as soon as she walks back in I am pulling th pan out of the Cambro and we get to work.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850

Last edited by Ron_L; 04-18-2019 at 09:53 AM..
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-18-2019, 08:19 AM   #17
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
In a perfect world I like to have chicken at the turn in table when the window opens. This buys us an additional ten minutes to deal with whatever we need to before ribs. If the rib box is ready to go to hit the opening of that window, we still have that additional ten minutes. I generally use some of that for pork. I have more pans and product out for that category than any other as we sort out what we have to turn in. We are also doing some work on burnt ends at that time as well, so the extra time if available is nice.

If Chicken isn't ready to go to hit the opening of the window, it doesn't go. The same applies to all categories. The only thing worse than not having as much time as you'd like, is not using the time that you have and losing points as a result.

"If Chicken isn't ready to go to hit the opening of the window, it doesn't go."

So you sacrifice a category?
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2019, 09:37 AM   #18
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
"If Chicken isn't ready to go to hit the opening of the window, it doesn't go."

So you sacrifice a category?
Ed
The key word in that sentence is 'opening'. If it's not waiting to be turned in when the window opens, it will get there before the window closes.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-18-2019, 03:59 PM   #19
manmeatbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Time to Switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinbasted View Post
It takes 25 minutes to breakdown pork and build my box. Your instinct about bark is the correct one. Don’t do it unless you know what you’re doing. Below is a link to a video showing me building my box. This box has won the last three team of the years in pork, 2 180s at the Royal and a Jack Daniels World Pork Championship with a perfect 180. Time to switch it all up!

Best of luck!

https://youtu.be/Weh-OloCeqM
I think I found what you are switching it up to look like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pulled pork box.jpg (72.9 KB, 81 views)
manmeatbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2019, 11:34 AM   #20
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by manmeatbbq View Post
I think I found what you are switching it up to look like.
I have got to tell the camera guys to stop sending out pictures of my pork box!