The Official Stickburner Thread

Lyfe Tyme 20x40 Smoker

Didn't see any Lyfe Tyme pits on the official thread yet. Good pit for any budget conscious brethren. Sorry for the random pic sizes but that is what I had handy. Some STL cut ribs and a few pork butts from the other weekend.

Attachments

• Pit.JPG
    Pit.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 223
  • 20190202_163506.jpg
    20190202_163506.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 222
  • 20180114_162915.jpg
    20180114_162915.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 221
  • 20190330_163458.jpg
    20190330_163458.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 218
I Like Verticals........

KXnW9iTl.jpg

gZLXXdFl.jpg

bGyL6isl.jpg

Ktlzq2vl.jpg

oBL3bNPl.jpg

JpazKl4l.jpg

0FOd2lOl.jpg

x0Z8trXl.jpg

tiGWi8nl.jpg

wvkq07vl.jpg

Last edited:
I just bought one new two weeks ago direct from OKJ to learn stickburning on. Been running fires only in it since, no food yet. You have any tricks to keep the temp consistent in this thing, please let me know. I really didn't want to spend $1800+ on my first smoker, but I'm almost wishing I did now.

A little late here, but I started stickburning a year ago in an offset and love it. The biggest thing I've found is to really let a good coal base get established. If I'm starting with lump I'll throw on 3-4 splits of wood to almost fully burn down to coals. Once you have a large coal bed I add a split when I add the food. I run with my door cracked open as it burns cleaner, but it burns the wood a lot faster. I'm usually adding a split every 45 minutes or so. I fought with mine for a while and almost sold it, because it could be very frustrating. Recently it's just 'clicked' and now I can run it with very little effort.

A little late here, but I started stickburning a year ago in an offset and love it. The biggest thing I've found is to really let a good coal base get established. If I'm starting with lump I'll throw on 3-4 splits of wood to almost fully burn down to coals. Once you have a large coal bed I add a split when I add the food. I run with my door cracked open as it burns cleaner, but it burns the wood a lot faster. I'm usually adding a split every 45 minutes or so. I fought with mine for a while and almost sold it, because it could be very frustrating. Recently it's just 'clicked' and now I can run it with very little effort.

Thank you! I'll start with some charcoal, then get the wood on there. What size splits are you using? I think mine were way too big creating too much heat.

Prodrvr - I have an older Oklahoma Joe. I leave the firebox door and the exhaust open, then adjust the temperature with the size of the fire. Using smaller splits makes this easier than large ones. I also preheat my wood on top of the fire box.

Yeah, I gotta cut mine down.

You don’t run Consistent temps in a stick burner. You cook in a temp range. On cheaper smokers +/- 25-30°- 50 to 60° temp swings is normal. You want to average 275*- you throw a split on at 240/250* , it climbs the 300/310*and slowly drops back to 240/250* , repeat as needed every 30-45 minutes- - averaging 275*.

If you want tighter temp swings -cut your wood down smaller and add more often like every 20 minutes.......

If you want to run steady temps - get a charcoal smoker like a WSM, UDS or other drum smoker, insulated cabinet smoker, pit barrel cooker or something......

Was looking at a Humphrey's battle box...was highly recommended.

Thank you! I'll start with some charcoal, then get the wood on there. What size splits are you using? I think mine were way too big creating too much heat.

I have to cut my 24" splits in half. I keep them probably in the 9"-12" range and the size of a coke can or so. To keep a smaller pit running with a smaller coal bed I can't really keep larger splits going. They tend to smolder out or burn extremely hot. My Smokemaster pit really likes to run in the 275 range.

Once you've figured out that part of it, knowing when to put a split on becomes important. That took me probably 10 or 15 cooks to get it really dialed in where the fire doesn't go out at all. If the fire does go out it's not a huge deal. Keeping calm and cracking the door while adding some small kindling to the coals usually gets it up and running again pretty quick.

Using splits that are smaller than you think as mentioned earlier also helps. I was cutting my splits in half both length and width wise. I was loading a split every 20 minutes, and gradually increased the size to where I am today. It's really just getting a feel for everything.

Was looking at a Humphrey's battle box...was highly recommended.

Good choice. I have a Pint that I bought 3 years ago and love it for overnight cooks. Daytime cooks go on my Shirley or Assassin PG if it is raining since it sits on my covered porch.

I’m really glad that this thread has reached “official” status. There are more legit stick burner folks here with good questions and excellent answers. There are no more people on here burning tinker toys or whatever those little tiny pieces of dowel are called.

I love my sticks. I love the flavor. I love sitting by my smoker with a glass of tea, watching my River Country brigade tell me what’s going on. I have never considered anything but stick burning. After I get a good base of RO coals, I’m ready to switch over. My smoker loves to ride around 275* and that’s perfect for me.

It’s good to read about all my stick burner friends. Good splitting, good luck and good cooking. I hope everyone has a great Easter.

I just picked up my first offset, a used Horizon 16. I am excited to find this thread, it is full of great information.

I’m glad to be back to burning splits and the M1 doesn’t disappoint. For space conscious folks or those looking for stick burner and grill all in one, it’s awful tough to beat

4f5f6ae809adcd6e92839f9767e4f3b5.jpg
a16d820867223cd23b1ad4153024b58d.jpg

cc6250363658a96b31a5d0b316790f40.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m glad to be back to burning splits and the M1 doesn’t disappoint. For space conscious folks or those looking for stick burner and grill all in one, it’s awful tough to beat

4f5f6ae809adcd6e92839f9767e4f3b5.jpg
a16d820867223cd23b1ad4153024b58d.jpg

cc6250363658a96b31a5d0b316790f40.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Looks awesome!

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

I just picked up my first offset, a used Horizon 16. I am excited to find this thread, it is full of great information.
I have one of those and use it all of the time. Pam on the firebox, lemon pledge on the cooker exterior, she'll look great forever.

This is what I was describing before. To season the firebox, hit the lid and any rusty areas with a wire brush and then spray Pam on it. Hit the body with lemon pledge. She looks almost new every time.
ed4652ef4ddb4411d5eb31f7157803d3.jpg
a57880753acaaa73d8ed4d930839e0a2.jpg

Just got a new heavy duty firebox grate from Horizon for the cooker. It's thick and the charcoal basket still fits. I just got a line on pecan wood in Nebraska so I'm jacked for a summer of sticks
53a20eab7fe72d927cba42b4198cb133.jpg
64fd8a6a5cee460e1261fbb30d62cf13.jpg

Back