MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:25 PM   #1
PBrug
On the road to being a farker

Default SRF Beef at Costco...

I took a trip to the local Costco this evening, to get some steaks for the weekend. While browsing the cooler, I stumbled upon some SRF products. They had whole Strips, cut Strip steaks, whole Sirloin and cut Sirloin steaks. I don't recall the price of the whole Strip, but the Strip steaks were $24.99/lb. The whole Sirloin was about $8.99/lb and the Strip steaks were $10.99/lb.

I don't recall ever seeing SRF products at Costco. Wondering if it's just a Father's Day weekend deal, or something they'll continue to carry. They also had some pork belly for the first time in forever, which I bought both they had, so I'm thinking it may be a "grilling" weekend thing...

I opted for the Costco Prime Strips and Prime Cowboys Ribeyes (another item I don't usually see at Costco), as they were about 1/2 the price of the SRF Strips, and I've always felt the Costco Prime is the best bang for the buck...

Gonna be a good weekend

Old 06-15-2018, 08:31 PM   #2
Smoking Piney
Babbling Farker

Saw that.......passed on the price.

SRF might be the gold standard here, but WAY too rich for my budget.

I'll cook regular pedestrian cuts and enjoy them.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-15-2018, 08:51 PM   #3
sudsandswine
is One Chatty Farker

Maybe they're trying to keep up with Sam's Club. The ones near me that have been remodeled have a new meat counter with "kobe" beef, but the marbling on it is insane and it's delicious. Goes for $35/lb so I don't get it often, but when I feel like splurging, one of those ribeyes is what I gravitate to. And it's still cheaper than a steak dinner out at a restaurant, so whatever.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:59 PM   #4
m-fine
is One Chatty Farker

Real Kobe beef is more like $35 an ounce! Our Sams shut down and I have not seen the SRF in our Costco yet. I would buy it if they had cuts I wanted.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:07 PM   #5
Smoking Piney
Babbling Farker

When I want to splurge, I'll see a butcher shop.

I prefer to turn regular, non in vogue gourmet cuts of meat into smoking / grilling master pieces.

The Kobe / Wagyu cachet doesn't warrant the price for me.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2018, 09:33 PM   #6
sudsandswine
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-fine View Post
Real Kobe beef is more like $35 an ounce! Our Sams shut down and I have not seen the SRF in our Costco yet. I would buy it if they had cuts I wanted.
I know, it's probably wagyu/wagyu hybrid and then the marketing department happened, but it was the best steak I've ever eaten, for sure. Worth every penny as far as I'm concerned, but their angus cowboy ribeyes at $8.xx/lb are my go-to otherwise.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:37 PM   #7
EyeBurnEverything
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Candice

If im being honest, some of those SRF waygu strips don't look much better then choice, let alone prime.
EyeBurnEverything is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-15-2018, 10:22 PM   #8
sudsandswine
is One Chatty Farker

There's more to wagyu and other higher end beef than just the level of marbling speckled through the meat, the flavor is very different. I see what you're saying though, sometimes I'll find a particularly nice tray of steaks from Costco labeled as choice that have similar looking marbling to the first couple pics in OP.

Here's an example of one of the "kobe" whatever steaks from Sam's. The camera doesn't really do justice (nor does the resolution downscaling of the picture attachment) to the marbling but they really are impressive in person, especially when it's in your mouth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ribeye.jpg (41.8 KB, 390 views)

Old 06-15-2018, 11:27 PM   #9
HogGrog
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Greg

Costco will sometimes carry SRF beef around certain holidays. I like to wait a day or two after the holiday when Costco will usually have it marked down to about half price. I always score SRF corned beef after St. Patty's Day and freeze a few.
HogGrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2018, 07:56 AM   #10
PBrug
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogGrog View Post
Costco will sometimes carry SRF beef around certain holidays. I like to wait a day or two after the holiday when Costco will usually have it marked down to about half price. I always score SRF corned beef after St. Patty's Day and freeze a few.

Good to know, thanks!

Old 06-16-2018, 02:30 PM   #11
gtsum
is One Chatty Farker

Picked up some tomahawk prime ribeyes from Costco and was hoping to find some SRF meat, but my store didn’t have any. The cowboy ribeyes must be a Father’s Day special as I have never seen them prior

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2018, 03:32 PM   #12
BillN
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Bill

All those steaks look amazing to me. My wife has me buying only grass fed red meat and pastured organic pork and chicken which I'm not complaining but there is something about the flavor of those fatty grain fed prime steaks that can't replicated with grass fed.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:33 PM   #13
KORND4WG X
is One Chatty Farker

I saw them here in Seattle too. Almost bought the tri tip wagyu @ $14.99/lb but they didn’t look much better than the prime tri tip that they carry which I think is excellent.

If too ended up with a couple tomahawk ribeyes
KORND4WG X is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2018, 05:13 PM   #14
Baychilla
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

So my CostCo carries stuff months/years after others and at doube/triple the price.
Baychilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2018, 06:42 PM   #15
SoCalWJS
is one Smokin' Farker

I think that the speculation that it was a "Special" for Father's Day in select locations is correct. Certainly didn't see them at my Local Costco. I did see the 2 pack of Tomahawks though and bought a pack - it's what's for Dinner tonight!