Pulled Beef question

Smoke & Beers

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've gotten a request from a friend to "help" him prepare some pulled beef for his daughters college graduation party...about 75 people attending. He wants to do it on his Traeger
A couple of things...
She stated she does not want brisket.
I've done a shoulder clod low and slow on my UDS, but felt it would have turned out better if I would have sliced it at 140° rather than letting it go to 180° and pulling some and slicing the rest (which turned out rather dry).

What cut of meat do you all recommend? A chuck roll? Several chuck roasts?

Any input would be appreciated... :thumb:

Chuck. If you can get a chuck roll, great. If not, get the biggest chuck roasts you can find. Cook it until the internal temp is 200+ (depending on feel). If you want to foil part way through, that works.

Ditto on the Chuck Roasts. I put 'em in the smoke for a couple of hours then into a pan and cover them with foil. I pull them when they pass the fork test. I typically don't sauce my 'Q but I do put some sauce on the pulled beef and put them back on the cooker for up to an hour. Kinda like doing burnt ends.

Cheers,
Braddog

I agree with the chuck roasts, I try to keep a couple already cooked up and pulled in my freezer as a goto meat for tacos & enchilada's.

I wouldn't get a huge one, a number of smaller ones are going to cook faster and they should be easier to find. (I've cooked 15-17 pounders that took close to 20 hours. The same poundage using smaller cuts took closer to 10 hours.)

I would think you could cut down a big roast to cook faster if thats the only option you have.

With a chuck roll/roast, how much weight will you lose? Should I assume its like briskets and you'll lose about 40% of the weight?

Assuming its like brisket and assuming 1/3lb servings, she'll need 25lbs of cooked pulled beef to serve 75 people or roughly 42lbs of chuck roll/roasts.

With a chuck roll/roast, how much weight will you lose? Should I assume its like briskets and you'll lose about 40% of the weight?

Assuming its like brisket and assuming 1/3lb servings, she'll need 25lbs of cooked pulled beef to serve 75 people or roughly 42lbs of chuck roll/roasts.

That sounds about right... Depending on the sides, I would do an extra 5 - 8 pounds just to be on the safe side.

If you're only doing pulled I'd go with the Chuck - I did a whole clod this weekend and the Chuck end pulled better (muscle grain) than the other end.

I posted this in the XL throwdown but this was the result:

ajosh3.jpg

This was grass fed so it's a little different for temps but I pulled it off the smoker at approx 170* F (and let rest for 1 hour) because the probe went like butter. It pulled nicely and was moist and flavorful.

Just in case you missed it---CHUCK!!!!! :clap2:

If brisket is off the menu--it don't get no better for pulled beef than Chuck.

TIM

Chuck

Chuck roll is the way to go. I started with an 18 pounder, took it to 205° over an 18-hour period.

chuck16.JPG

And got 9 pounds pulled.

chuck21.JPG

Did anyone suggest chuck yet. I did a 7½ lb clod this weekend, my 1st. It came out great, tender, pulled nice but, a bit on th dry side. Not sure if theres a way to cook clod & get it real tender with out drying it out. Just not enough fat in there.

I don't know guys....I'm thinking maybe a CHUCKY???:becky:
Keep those thoughts and how-to's coming...much appreciated!

I smoke large/slow cuts with a LARGE water pan in there that kept the cooking environment very moist. It helps keep the meat moist and the heat sink helps keep the temp even. The down side is a messy moist smoker when you're done.

Back