• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cooking Wood Source in So Cal...

CA Firewood is great. Would have endorsed them earlier but I just saw this post. I got a 40 lb bag of great quality for an amazing price. Nice chunks of lump, burns clean, very quality stuff. Their wood is great too but haven't tried much of it

There is a cute little town east of my home called Julian. Loads of apple, pear and stone fruit orchards. I picked up the phone and the first grower I called said "come on up and gather all ya want. We cut back loads of wood every year".

Worked for me!

I do buy my 40# bags of lump (wood is for smoke, not fuel in the Kamado) from CalChar (Nature-glo by Royal Oak).

The total sounds like a lot...But. I got a big pile to work on...there are 2 piles, the white bags are the Cherry...They have cheaper wood but my family likes Hickory...Since we are in the hospitality business, so to speak, I have to cook what my audience likes...

Compared to what I have paid in the past, this stuff is cheap...I had to buy more wood to get that price...But, I can find a use for it...

1/2 log should be about 1 hour cooking @ 250* on my Lang, once its up to temp...

The total sounds like a lot...But. I got a big pile to work on...there are 2 piles, the white bags are the Cherry...They have cheaper wood but my family likes Hickory...Since we are in the hospitality business, so to speak, I have to cook what my audience likes...

Compared to what I have paid in the past, this stuff is cheap...I had to buy more wood to get that price...But, I can find a use for it...

1/2 log should be about 1 hour cooking @ 250* on my Lang, once its up to temp...

I just bought a seasoned face cord 1/2-1/2 hickory and cherry. It was $75, which is more than I am used to paying.

I did have to pick it up.

I now feel fortunate that I can buy it at that price compared to other areas.

that what I mean by things must be different in my area lol

I've only gone to the woodshed as well… but since I only run a WSM, I don't need a huge amt like stick burners

ouch. guess things are a lot different there than here in Michigan!

Yup. Everything is relative. The cost of living in CA is MUCH higher than the rest of the US. It translates into higher prices across the board. Point in case, a gallon of super in LA IS $4.00 at higher grade stations. Oh, the joy.

I used the Hickory as my base wood and smoke wood this time..In the past I would add Hickory to Apple or Cherry as needed...Hickory is very dense so, in order to keep a small hot fire and the cooker under 275*...I had to cut the splits in half and then split them again twice..I ended up with sticks about 2.5" square x 9" long(kindling size)...I put 2-3 at a time in when temps started to fall and this would keep the fire clean and hot and hold the temp 250-275*...FWIW...

Add..I have a Lang 36

Last edited:
Been getting my wood from Firewood of my Ranch in L.A. Right off 3rd st. and Mission rd. The wood i've gotten there has been clean and well seasoned. They have most of the woods that you would look for and the prices are ok. They sell larger amounts but also sell in 40lb nylon bags that run usually between 10 and 12 bucks a sack.
Wow wish I could sell wood at that price I be rich!

Sorry for bringing back up a old post but does anyone know if this company is still open?

Back