MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:37 AM   #61
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
grab a little cedar for smoke wood lol
I'm not that adventoust to use use cedar lol!! The roast is simmering as we speak
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #62
High Q
is one Smokin' Farker

B-Funk,

When Jetton would simmer these briskets until "done", was that several hours? generally akin to when folks currently pull a brisket and foil it? I assume the post simmered cuts would be directly on the pit for a couple of hours getting mopped and finished and tender. I'm going to try and replicate the Jetton simmer on my UDS tomorrow. Now I need some cedar.
High Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2010, 09:59 AM   #63
jestridge

MAn. I just taste a sample of the beef in the dutch oven, good stuff best thing since slice bread.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:14 AM   #64
Stan41
Got Wood.

I have cooked brisket using the Jetton method exactly. It is very good, but I think I have tasted better. It's lots of trouble, but I will probably do it again sometime.
Stan
Stan41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2010, 06:41 PM   #65
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Q View Post
B-Funk,

When Jetton would simmer these briskets until "done", was that several hours? generally akin to when folks currently pull a brisket and foil it? I assume the post simmered cuts would be directly on the pit for a couple of hours getting mopped and finished and tender. I'm going to try and replicate the Jetton simmer on my UDS tomorrow. Now I need some cedar.
jetton would simmer briskets until they were cooked... took maybe 2-4 hours.... then they could sit in all that broth as it cooled... THEN they were smoked over the pit for the same time it took him to smoke the ribs... about 4 hours (remember.... they were being mopped the whole time so that cools the meat down plus one side is exposed to regular air.... unlike our ovens...

Old 12-23-2010, 06:44 PM   #66
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan41 View Post
I have cooked brisket using the Jetton method exactly. It is very good, but I think I have tasted better. It's lots of trouble, but I will probably do it again sometime.
Stan
I am not suggesting we all go out and do this.... LOL I was just saying that if one was going to critique harshly hot and fast cooking, or foil, or whatever... one must take in account that in our past... BBQ Barons like Walter Jetton and his trail style.... an older tradition than many want to think.... would shock most of us.

And.... I will say this.... I run a charity... lots of BBQ Purist come to eat my BBQ as far as Fredricksburg.... if I could get away with making sure NO ONE knew I was boiling briskets.... then smoking them on an open pit.... Id do it. Its actually easier... from a catering standpoint.... imagine your brisket and ribs taking up generally the same amount of time.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:06 AM   #67
cdollar
Full Fledged Farker

I was taught the Jetton method many years ago by a friend's dad who had a BBQ place in Lousiana. Cook the brisket immersed in water for 12 hours at 210*, with some jalapenos in the water, then scrape the fat off and smoke for 6 hours. Made a wonderful juicy and tender product. I cooked, served and catered these briskets for years, and people loved it. I use the smoke and foil method now, mainly for the burnt ends. I only cook for myself and friends now.

I think whichever way gives you the finished product that makes you happy, you should go for it.
cdollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2010, 02:32 PM   #68
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdollar View Post
I was taught the Jetton method many years ago by a friend's dad who had a BBQ place in Lousiana. Cook the brisket immersed in water for 12 hours at 210*, with some jalapenos in the water, then scrape the fat off and smoke for 6 hours. Made a wonderful juicy and tender product. I cooked, served and catered these briskets for years, and people loved it. I use the smoke and foil method now, mainly for the burnt ends. I only cook for myself and friends now.

I think whichever way gives you the finished product that makes you happy, you should go for it.

lthough this seems like a tasty method.. based on my articles, promary research a first hand knowledge it is NOT the Jetton Method. A method none the less, but not the Jetton Method.

That being said.... i bet it might be good.... although I would like to see the condition of the brisket after 212 hours under the simmer point THEN smoked 6 hours.

I have listed the correct Jetton method (which is not his published in his cookbook) in thread.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:31 PM   #69
swamprb

I just got a La Caja China cookbook and can't wait to try the "Real Texas Brisket" recipe!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2010, 07:21 PM   #70
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

how long ya boilin it swamp

Old 12-26-2010, 08:12 PM   #71
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
how long ya boilin it swamp
..let me see? OK- I'll smoke them for 3 hours with the NorcoSmokeDaddyclone, start off with 18lbs of charcoal, flip them hunks o'beef after an hour and add 10lbs of charcoal every hour until they reach 190*, wrap them in foil and cooler for 90 minutes. Hey its a plan!

And a hell of a lot of charcoal!!

Oh yeah-this is called "True Texas Brisket"
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #72
High Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Default My name is Jeff and I boil my Brisket

I gave this simmering business a try on Christmas Eve.

For comparison, I cooked one brisket on my WSM at 275 using PopDaddy's Tri-Level Rub my way (Rub 1: Lawry's; Rub 2: Garlic Powder; Rub 3: Montreal/Lemon Pepper/Coarse Pepper. I started it out at 240 for two hours and then ran it at 275-300 for six (ish) more hours. The brisket rested in the cooler for about 4 hours and was carved and consumed at a Christmas Eve party at a friends house. It was tender, juicylicity, and maybe a little overdone. I did a Christian cut on the brisket (1" slices on the flat) and they held together but just barely.

On my UDS, I put a 14# packer in an aluminum foil pan and filled the pan up with Walter Jetton's mop. I ran the UDS at 250 or so for four hours and simmered the packer with the fat side up. I took the pan off the UDS after 4 hours, foiled over the pan and set it aside for a bit while I jiggered with the fire in the UDS, put some smoke wood on, etc. I put a thin coat of the coarse rub on this brisket before putting it back on (Montreal Steak/Lemon Pepper/Coars Pepper. I didn't put too much rub on as I was in uncharted waters and didn't want to over season the meat. I put the brisket back on the UDS (no pan) and smoked it for 3 hours. I started out fat side down and flipped and mopped it with the Jetton mop that I had simmered the brisket in once every 30 minutes to an hour. When I pulled it the probe was going in the flat very easily. I had a piece of the flat that was coming off from flipping it back and forth. I wrapped it and put it in a cooler and took it to the same party.

The simmered brisket had a very similar texture to the high heat brisket done on my WSM but it lacked that strong bark. Looking back, I think I should have put a stronger rub coat on the brisket when it came out of the simmer so I could get some bark and a stronger seasoning. The brisket was very juicylicitious. When I sliced it straight through the flat and the point. The point had an awesome smoke ring and color. When I do this again (and I will try it again), I will put the brisket fat side down in the pan. I left it fat side up so the flat wouldn't dry out but I inadvertently caused the nonfat layer to be sitting at the bottom of the simmer pan and it left the surface looking a little pot roast like when I put it on the smoker. Next time, I will all pull the brisket from the simmer and put it on the UDS with no lid. I'll flip, mop and tend the flare ups as this is the only way I can simulate open pit cooking in my yard. It will be more work but I think it will promote a better looking exterior and better exterior texture (similar to Dozier's crispy ribs if you know what I'm talking about).

Should I have seasoned the brisket after the simmer to get a better bark? What are your thoughts on the open UDS - flip, mop and tend plan?

I'm doing a comp in February. I may simmer my brisket just to see what will happen. Don't know if I can get this method perfected in time.
"Houston is a wretched little town composed of about twenty shops, and a hundred huts, dispersed here and there, among trunks of felled trees. It is infested with methodists and ants." -Emmanuel Domenech, Catholic Missionary, 1848
High Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2010, 10:07 AM   #73
KSims1868
Full Fledged Farker

Funk - cool post, and nice to see a neighbor on the forum.
I'm in League City.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:15 AM   #74
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Q View Post
I'm doing a comp in February. I may simmer my brisket just to see what will happen. Don't know if I can get this method perfected in time.
I imagine you will be disqualified. LOL

Old 12-27-2010, 11:46 AM   #75
jestridge

I went one step farther I did 3 slab of ribs in my dutch oven then smoke and sauce them. , turn out very good
I know people will cry and call it boiling ribs but these same people will turn around and use those green flower pot or us a handful of wood chip and call that tradition