Comp Class Recommendation

Trust the Butcher!

I went to the class in Tulsa -- I've been getting a call at every contest this year, but the contest after the class, I got a call in every category and 1st in brisket. I didn't change my recipes...just tweeked some stuff.

Good class, I learned alot and what a treat to taste Plowboy and Butcher meats! I think it put the fire back in my smoke, or vice versa.

Hey David (Butcher's) - why don't I send you the $500 and you and Todd can give me your cell numbers. I promise to limit my calls to an hour and I'll never call after 11 pm (except during comps - then I'll probably call all night). :heh::thumb:

Hey David (Butcher's) - why don't I send you the $500 and you and Todd can give me your cell numbers. I promise to limit my calls to an hour and I'll never call after 11 pm (except during comps - then I'll probably call all night). :heh::thumb:

I'll send you my cell number for $450... :becky:

I forgot to add Scottie's class to the mix for folks who cook on an FEC. I'm still sending him PMs about timing etc. Good stuff!

For $500 do I have breath funny or did you want to talk about insects. :becky:

There are a lot of great classes if you are an experienced cook. I'd recommend Lotta Bull, Trig and Pellet Envy first. Then there's a lot of other good classes mentioned in this thread. If you have less than 10 comps under your belt and are still trying to understand comp BBQ I think that Dr BBQ is tops in explaining how meats cook. There are others that I probably should mention but the ice in my drink is melting and calling me.

Any class from a proven winner is a big help. And you can also volunteer to work with a team and get some pointers. A lot have done that with me here in MI and had success. Even some south of the Mason Dixon line.

And there are 2 seasons in MI btw from May to October and heck the rest of the time as my water lines freeze. But it's lovely in summer up in the land of 2 peninsulas. Just go south come the first of November.

I forgot to add Scottie's class to the mix for folks who cook on an FEC. I'm still sending him PMs about timing etc. Good stuff!

I enjoy those PM's Nate. Means you're thinking and that means understanding. Keep them coming.

And while I have nothing official. I have had a few folks volunteer for my next cooking class (if any). I have had a few top teams step up to volunteer as guest instructors i am sure a lot of teams will be excited to hear who wants to step up to help fight cancer and hopefullly learn something new on how to prepare and compete at a top level.

I enjoy those PM's Nate. Means you're thinking and that means understanding. Keep them coming.

And while I have nothing official. I have had a few folks volunteer for my next cooking class (if any). I have had a few top teams step up to volunteer as guest instructors i am sure a lot of teams will be excited to hear who wants to step up to help fight cancer and hopefullly learn something new on how to prepare and compete at a top level.

Very well said and I bet many people are awaiting those dates also.

I promise to stop and pay the tolls if I come back down :)

Farking toll booths !

Great class for a great cause

I am personally looking forward to Plowboys/Butchers class!! And if/when Scottie has one again in the area I hope to make that one too!!

Great thread.

Last year I took the class that Rod and Johnny were doing. They shared it all, including ingredients. More than the ingredient lists I came home with an understanding of how they worked, and what they were trying to accomplish. It got me out of a rut, and allowed me to start looking at things with an open mind. I hadn't realized that I'd been in a rut, until I sat there for a couple of hours. If they do future classes together or seperately, I'd highly recommend it.

I've never taken Dr. BBQ's class but spent a couple of days with him over the last couple of years and Ray is one of the best communicators I've ever met! With his schedule these days, I don't know that he has the time to do classes, but I'd take one if I could make it. If you ask Ray a question, you will get his honest and direct answer. That's worth the price of admission.

Plowboys, and Butchers BBQ... I've cooked with Todd a couple of times in the last year. I've cooked next to David w/Todd. Todd is a really thoughtful guy, that has developed products that he uses, just as David has. Both have been successful. When either of them talks, I'll listen!

Scottie is the next guy on my list of classes I want to take. The cause his classes support is reason enough. His experience and success don't hurt either! If I can get away, I'm there!

When any of those guys talk, it's in your interest to listen whether you pay a fee or not. WHY they do the things they do, is just as important as WHAT they do.

I have only taken one class and that was Scotties class. If you are looking for technique and seasonings he does both in his class. My first contest after the class I was 10th in pork and 6th in brisket. I had only received one call in pork before his class after cooking comps for 2 years (about 10 contest).
Highly recommended

I think one thing to take seriously before taking a class is how much the teaching reflects the kind of Q you do. For instance, I plan to take the Plowboys/ Butchers class primarily to get some tips on how to get the most out of the FEC. If you cook with a stickburner at high temps them maybe a class taught by Mike Davis or Myron Mixon would be better for you. In addition some classes give you a look into the complete cooking process (rubs, injections and everything else). Some will only give you help on techniques - but they won't give you specific help on flavors etc.

So, what do you need/expect to learn?

Wow; I cook on Big Green Eggs. Is there no help for me?

I really appreciate everyone's responses. I didn't realize what I would be starting. I have had a hard time finding classes posted on the internet. Is it possible to start a "sticky" of comp classes and all of you offering them post when and where with a link? It would be nice to have one stop shopping for classes. I don't know how that works, maybe a moderator can set up a topic in the "sticky" section interested parties could post to and check. Thanks again.

Brian

I really appreciate everyone's responses. I didn't realize what I would be starting. I have had a hard time finding classes posted on the internet. Is it possible to start a "sticky" of comp classes and all of you offering them post when and where with a link? It would be nice to have one stop shopping for classes. I don't know how that works, maybe a moderator can set up a topic in the "sticky" section interested parties could post to and check. Thanks again.

Brian

Great suggestion! Done.

My only request is that the contributions to that thread be limited to dates, locations, and brief reviews after someone has taken the class. That will make the info on upcoming classes easier to find. After a class has been held the date and location info will be deleted. The reviews will remain to allow people to gather info and decide whether that class is for them or not, in the future.

The Pacific Northwest is ripe for a big name class, just sayin'!

Back