Sanctioning

Sledneck

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
With all of the stuff regarding some ugly KCBS issues that have been recently discussed i would like to ask you all a question. Why KCBS? Every contest around here is for the most part KCBS. Why? If i were to put a contest together this summer here in NY with FBA sanctioning would you still compete? I use FBA as an example, substitute any other you know of.I have a great deal of respect for what KCBS has done as well as the job of our local reps. I think i would be intrigued to compete at a contest with a different sanctioning body

Right now my first choice is KCBS but if they stick their foot in their mouth and pi$$ me off then I'd gladly look at an FBA event in the midwest instead. The key is that it is a qualifier for the Jack and the Royal.

Right now my first choice is KCBS but if they stick their foot in their mouth and pi$$ me off then I'd gladly look at an FBA event in the midwest instead. The key is that it is a qualifier for the Jack and the Royal.

That about say's it all.......:wink:

Question - Do either the JD or AR Invitationals recognize State GC's from sanctioning bodies other than KCBS?

I know that FBA was working to get more Jack qualifiers on the schedule for this year and the have several state championships for the American Royal. I believe that Swamp Boys is headed to the AR based on a FBA win...

First off, I too have enormous respect for what KCBS has done, and I think we have the best Reps, hands down. (Red Sox fan mod)

If it weren't for KCBS, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

I think one answer to "Why KCBS?", is because, even with all this grumbling and ugliness , they know how to run a BBQ contest correctly, at the contest level.
The general guidelines and rules of KCBS contests are basically fair and easy to follow. This, and the competition factor, (I can beat these guys...) is what draws people in, and once you're bit, you know, there's no going back.

That is why I said "at the contest level". The other political crap is just that, political crap. If you don't like it (AND you are actually a KCBS member)... vote.
...well.. vote next year... but vote.

If you were to get an FBA contest going I'd be there in a heartbeat Sled. I enjoy diversity in my BBQ Associations. :> FBA has some different rules and regs that I find challenging, and I would LOVE to try my hand at it. It was a blast in Douglas GA, and Kell has still another, completely different set of rules.

I can't seem to schedule a good time to get lunchmeat down there, but maybe you can get some of them to come up here. It sure is HOT down there in the summertime.

good thread... ya trouble maker ... heheh

KCBS is about the only game around here. I would love to compete in another sanctioning bodies contest.

I seriously think we as competitiors have placed KCBS on a pedestal and have caused all of this ourselves. Get a few more sanctioning bodies up and running across the country and make them all compete for your contest.

KCBS is about the only game around here. I would love to compete in another sanctioning bodies contest.

I seriously think we as competitiors have placed KCBS on a pedestal and have caused all of this ourselves. Get a few more sanctioning bodies up and running across the country and make them all compete for your contest.
That is where you are wrong. KCBS is the only games chosen around you. Contact other sanctioning bodies and tell them that you have interested in them sanctioning contest in your area. I have spoken briefly in the past with a board member of FBA and was told that they are more than willing to come up here and sanction a contest. KCBS does not own your area.

If i were to put a contest together this summer here in NY ...

I try to not make trouble here but based on what I've been reading from you the past few weeks ... :)

Anyway, people go to what is familiar and available. KCBS provides the structure, rules & branding that make it work for the entrants and organizers. The sanctioning body of any sport or activity will always sooner or later, peeve off the participants and others involved. But you know what, those difficult/ignorant people @ the top always move on to mess something else up or start something new. The people who make the organiztion great always pickup the pieces and continue on.

The key is to keep this cycle in mind, keep the cohesive body of organisers and entrants from splintering and wasting the energy it takes to reinvent the wheel under a new name with new rules and new organiztion growing pains and all that crap.

That is where you are wrong. KCBS is the only games chosen around you. Contact other sanctioning bodies and tell them that you have interested in them sanctioning contest in your area. I have spoken briefly in the past with a board member of FBA and was told that they are more than willing to come up here and sanction a contest. KCBS does not own your area.

This is true, but I have looked into IBCA and what a nightmare to pull off, but possible. I doubt FBA would come to the middle of the country to sanction a contest, MIM doesn't do it anymore (though there is a new group that has taken over I understand)

With 5 or 6 contest in the state, gettinng another sanctioning body interested would be a challange. And then getting cooks to play along would be the next hurddle.

Perhaps the BBQ Brethren should start sanctioning contests. we are already all over the world.

As a side note I typed BBQ Sanctiong Bodies into google, and was surprised to see this at the top of the list http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36187

So now why sanction with KCBS and why use any search engine.

This is true, but I have looked into IBCA and what a nightmare to pull off, but possible. I doubt FBA would come to the middle of the country to sanction a contest, MIM doesn't do it anymore (though there is a new group that has taken over I understand)

Not sure if i get that. I have been to many KCBS event locally and havent noticed anybody travel from kansas city to run the contest. Its called reps and they are typically from your area or near by. I woudl think that other sanctioning bodies would want to grow and expand just as KCBS has. I understand the initial contest would be a hurdle but KCBS didnt magically appear here in the northeast out of no where

Not sure if i get that. I have been to many KCBS event locally and havent noticed anybody travel from kansas city to run the contest. Its called reps and they are typically from your area or near by. I woudl think that other sanctioning bodies would want to grow and expand just as KCBS has. I understand the initial contest would be a hurdle but KCBS didnt magically appear here in the northeast out of no where

Tom and I organized an Omaha comp last year, 1 rep was from KC. We ran a CBJ class...Merl came from Tulsa. Omaha is just a Northern Suburb of KC when it comes to BBQ....

If i were to put a contest together this summer here in NY with FBA sanctioning would you still compete?

ABSOLUTELY! Doesn't have to be KCBS or NEBS for us...

a new sanctioning body might be interesting too :wink:

Hey and you know if you need ANY help just give me a holler, I'll hear ya...lol:biggrin:

Did you have my cellphone tapped at lunch time today? that is freaky...

OH carp I am thinking like Sledneck again . . . this happend awhile ago and nothing came of a Brethren Bash at the awards banquet so maybe this to shall pass.

What my bride said.

And really it all boils down to why not fight for an organization you believe in. Just because a few are making it the worst for wear doesn't mean you have to jump ship and find new friends to play with (I am not saying that is what YOU Sledneck are doing or suggesting, just a generalizatio). I think ICBA and no garnish would be fun, but I still believe in the KCBS.

I do IBCA and KCBS contests out here
each has its place
CBBQA has sanctioned small events in the past

I am not organizing a local FBA contest. I am no jumping ship either . I plan on doing KCBS as long as they are available. I am just curious.

I don't know all of the stats, but I think KCBS was about the first to start sanctioning. All of the rest have followed on their guidelines. A lot will use the KCBS rules and modify them to their own personal use.

I called the MABA and they are not sanctioning any this year at all. But they do have quite a few listed on their websites. Mostly KCBS. So my next question is: Why isn't anybody getting these other societies to sanction their events?

Everyone seems to only want to use KCBS. Is it only because they are the most popular? Or are they giving the best deals?

NCBS is local for me, but their website looks the same as it did 6 months ago. They still have all of last year's events listed, same news, same everything....

Maybe KCBS is the most active, and that is why they get all the business. Should the other societies get to more of the comps and solicit their business? Why not. I think they should. I think all of the AR and Jack should recognize the other society winners if they don't already.

Let the competition begin.....

Back