MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:19 AM   #1
Youngin'
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Bear
Default HELP! Smoking with a Q100

Hi, first off let me say thank you for allowing me to join. I have taken up grilling and Q'ing here in Miami even though "BBQ" here consist of throwing some chicken with complete seasoning on some fire while drinking Corona.

I own a Weber Q100 and, as you know, it only has one one burner. I want to make ABT's but I believe they have to me smoked due to the Bacon fat dripping and causing flare ups.

Can someone suggest something or is it a dead end?

Youngin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2011, 08:19 AM   #2
JONESY
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm not sure you can do much "smoking" on a Q100. What I would do is find a used Webber kettle and get started that way, it will yield true, honest BBQ. Keep your Q100 though, you can have never have to many cookers.

Heres a link for one I found on Craigslist, only $20.
http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/hsh/2591564835.html

Old 09-12-2011, 08:23 AM   #3
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

Might try putting a catch pan beneath and try to get indirect heat, if you have the room. A foil pouch with wood chips for smoke.

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
Youngin'

I'm doing this at a tailgate. Buying a kettle would be the way to go. I can't do much smoking nowadays as I live in a apt. and my neighbors have already complained twice.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:34 AM   #5
NS Mike D
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyclaw View Post
Might try putting a catch pan beneath and try to get indirect heat, if you have the room. A foil pouch with wood chips for smoke.

.. or you might try putting your abts on kabob skewers and rest them on top of a foil pan (might even put some water in there to avoid flare ups) .

The foil pouch should work.

Make sure the abts are not touching each other so that the hot air and smoke will circulate and cook the bacon.
La Caja China #2
Weber 22 Kettle
Brinkman Vertical Charcoal (out on loan)
Weber Q 200
Weber Summit Series Gasser
NS Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
Youngin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS Mike D View Post
.. or you might try putting your abts on kabob skewers and rest them on top of a foil pan (might even put some water in there to avoid flare ups) .

The foil pouch should work.

Make sure the abts are not touching each other so that the hot air and smoke will circulate and cook the bacon.
And this is why you guys no your stuff. That's a GREAT idea.