MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #16
Porcine Perfection
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I occurred to me recently that there are allot of posts screaming for HELP or FAILED COOK. I have noticed this pattern developing in Overnight cook...I went to bed and my fire went out or Pit temp dropped to XXX and I needed this by XXX time. Brothers Stop being lazy & plan your cooks better. ALL the Mechanical Gizmos can't replace the best tool in your Box that hunk of gray matter between your ears.
I still enjoy sitting up at night with a cook Beverage a nice Cigar a good book a little Blues in the background & my dog tending a fire making awesome vittles for the masses. Switching to a good Cup and watching the Dawn of a New Day. It's a religious experience.
If you light the fire stay awake.
I don't stay up like that much anymore unless I need to have something ready for a certain time in the morning I still cook H&F I just get up a little earlier count back 10 hrs from when I need it add 1 more for prep and preheat. It works out just fine and I can nap afterwards. I don't have no gizmos but even the UDS gets a look see once in awhile. More for my peace of mind than any thing else. Planning is 90 % of your cook to get it right.

I guess this was in reference to me this morning. It was more of an exception for me and I like to think that I can come here for help when needed. I understand your point but to be honest no one is making you read or respond to any thread here.

I don't call myself a pitmaster. I am nothing more than a member (and a subscribing one at that) that needed a little help with a cook this morning.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #17
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

This is an interesting discussion. In some ways it reminds me of my time in high school when electronic calculators were just becoming affordable (Yeah, I'm that old). Lots of kids got in trouble because they HAD to have these new, cool toys, but relied on them solely and had no clue when the calculator was giving them the wrong answer. The kids who were most successful with their new toys were those that had a handle on math and at least had a clue what the answer to the problem should be. they used the calculators to speed things up and to help them confirm the right answer, but didn't blindly believe the device.

Electronic draft controls, thermostatically controlled pits like pellet cookers, remote thermometers, even digital thermometers like the thermapen are much the same to me. I'm a geek and I enjoy using these things, but I know what my results will be before I go into the cook, and if the electronic device fails or the information that it is giving me doesn't make sense, I recognize that and know what to do to get things back on track.

These devices are just another tool that is available to us. Using them in your choice, but make sure that you know the process and how to get to the desired result without those toys. Once you have learned that then you can apply the toys to help you, not hinder you.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #18
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

I think staying up all night, cooking meat, and playing with fire was the reason I got into this "BBQ thing" in the first place.

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #19
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Planning is 90 % of your cook to get it right.
Well said Bludawg......
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #20
mtbchip
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Chip

The BEST planning takes place when you choose what KIND OF COOKER. If you plan on many low and slow, then a well insulted and properly set up ceramic grill will do the job. Efficient on the fuel, resilient in most environments.

No electro gadgets here. I just set it and forget it (someone say that before?).

Getting to know your cooker is half the battle. Now that I know size of the draft port opening to the desired temps..... easy!

Old 09-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #21
deguerre

I have a problem with the words "untended" and "fire" being in the same sentence, especially if one follows the other...I just don't like the possibility that the remote alarms will fail to wake me if something went seriously awry. Hence, I tend not to sleep during cooks.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #22
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I occurred to me recently that there are allot of posts screaming for HELP or FAILED COOK. I have noticed this pattern developing in Overnight cook...I went to bed and my fire went out or Pit temp dropped to XXX and I needed this by XXX time. Brothers Stop being lazy & plan your cooks better. ALL the Mechanical Gizmos can't replace the best tool in your Box that hunk of gray matter between your ears.
I still enjoy sitting up at night with a cook Beverage a nice Cigar a good book a little Blues in the background & my dog tending a fire making awesome vittles for the masses. Switching to a good Cup and watching the Dawn of a New Day. It's a religious experience.
If you light the fire stay awake.
I don't stay up like that much anymore unless I need to have something ready for a certain time in the morning I still cook H&F I just get up a little earlier count back 10 hrs from when I need it add 1 more for prep and preheat. It works out just fine and I can nap afterwards. I don't have no gizmos but even the UDS gets a look see once in awhile. More for my peace of mind than any thing else. Planning is 90 % of your cook to get it right.

A Men Brother!!

Old 09-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #23
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

Ive spent money on the right cookers and electronics so I can stay up partying, thow some meat on, pass out and wake up refreshed before the next step in the process. I see it as evolution.

no thread is going to shame me into changing my mind
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #24
Fwismoker

No one has made a convincing argument against using something like the alarms on a ET- 732 as a back up to notify you of a problem in your pit.

The odds of both the stoker and your Maverick failing at the same time are slim and none and slim's on his way out of town.

If you need your pork butt ready by say by noon and put it on a mid night with an automatic stoker on it so you can sleep is a beautiful thing. A well rested cook is good for the cook and good for the guests.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #25
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

I make a point not to tell someone what they should do or how they should do unless they ask me but I would have to say watching a pit with your loyal dog by your side during a quiet night to see the sun rise is one of the best experiences I can think of.

It seems I am getting up in years and my lab is too - we both were all stiff legged from Saturday.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #26
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
No one has made a convincing argument against using something like the alarms on a ET- 732 as a back up to notify you of a problem in your pit.

Oooooo! Ooooooooooo! I did! Seriously though. I've slept through the bedroom being vacuumed around me before. I trust the Maverick will do what it's supposed to, just not sure it would be enough for my own particular needs.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog

Old 09-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #27
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Oooooo! Ooooooooooo! I did! Seriously though. I've slept through the bedroom being vacuumed around me before. I trust the Maverick will do what it's supposed to, just not sure it would be enough for my own particular needs.
I heard that hearing is the second thing to go during old age.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #28
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
I heard that hearing is the second thing to go during old age.
Oh, go shave some fish, or something...

Old 09-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #29
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Reminds of Welcome Back Cotter...lol Guess i'm showing my age now! Haha

I admit it was hard to trust my PitMasterIQ early on but i pretty much do now, hasn't let me down yet. I just hooked it up to my mini for a butt cook this last weekend and performed flawlessly.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #30
va_connoisseur
Full Fledged Farker

For my two cents (actually with the current exchange rate it's worth $1.34) I think folks who are really into making good quality 'cue and not those who get caught up in the fads, take their time to research what pit they are getting.

Doing an overnight cook takes planning (already said), patience (already mentioned), a few good quality cigars (I'm partial to Ashton VSG's) and some good friends.

In my humble opinion, the "gadget guys" are like the kids who buy the body kits for their cars but do no mods to the engine. Let me step back for a sec, when I say gadget guy I mean the people who buy the latest, greatest, as seen on TV smoker and have no idea what to do with it.

As for a pitmaster (cause I'm just bored today) that is a person who knows that BBQ is an inexact science and each time you fire you pit you learn something. BBQ College is a school that confers no degrees but class is always in session.
[LIST][*]250 gallon, custom reverse flow smoker with warming cabinet aka Hawg Coffin[*]120 gallon reverse flow aka Hog Coffin (retired)[*] 22 and 18.5 WSM[*]Known as Spatulaman[*]Owner of Plate BBQ LLC[/LIST]
va_connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote