• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

1st Beef plate short ribs with pr0n

Patrice

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Last monday was Canadian Thanksgiving which means a day off which means more time to barbecue. So I decided to try some beef plate short ribs for the first time on the kettle. I've been braising these quite often now (smoked beer, veal stock, lots of garlic, loads of caramelized onions, whatever herbs or spices inspire me that day) but it was my first time smoking them. As I knew there would be some space left, I threw a pork hock in there as well. Both were simply seasoned with salt and freshly ground extra bold Tellicherry pepper. I used lump and two chunks of cherry wood.

I managed to keep the kettle "around" 300F and the ribs stayed in there for most of the afternoon until probe tender, the internal temp was about 205F.
There was a huge bark and a very contrasting smoke ring. The meat wasn't as moist as I would have thought but I was used to have it braised. All in all, it was very good but I think one big chunk or two smaller ones would have been enough. The hock, well, I wanted to pull it out around 180F but kind of forgot about it so it was around 200F when I took it out. Not much meat on it but my wife said that it made for an amazing lunch the day after. Here are some pics of the cook.

The ribs before:
P1020700.jpg

The ribs after:
P1020711.jpg

The ribs right before digging in:
P1020716.jpg

The pork hock:
P1020710.jpg

Coming soon: Spatchcock (again) and my first ABT's

Looks like it was very nicely done. Yep, smoked is different than braised. I love both.

"invite me over next time my good friend. :grin:"

If you're ready to fly and there's some left when you get here, sure you can come.

Looks like it was very nicely done. Yep, smoked is different than braised. I love both.

Yes, I'm not too sure which one I like best. I wonder if I could smoke it for an hour or two next time just for the smoke flavour and then braise it for the rest of the cook to get that melting texture.

Back