MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:04 PM   #16
MayDay
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstewart View Post
I spoke to a guy Friday about some drums he has for sale. He told me he has burn drums and drums for rain barrels. I said I was looking for a food grade drum to be used for a UDS. He told me he knew what type I was looking for but he didn't have any at this time.He said he has several drums that contained one of the ingrediants to make stain but the drums had a heavy heavy duty plastic liner inside the drum that held the liquid. When he removes the plastice liner he said there is nothing but clean metal and if liquid gets into the drum after he removes the liner the drum will rust. He said he has drums where he has removed this liner and there is no rust at all just clean bare metal. Now to my question. Have any or you brethern heard of this and would you feel safe in using one of these drums. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks
I'd pass on any non-food-grade drums and any that held stains, chemical compounds or any NON-FOOD items EVEN if it used a plastic liner. The liners are not always 100% impervious so there is a chance the stuff could leak or leach through to the metal, even if the metal shows no signs of immediate corrosion. Or course, leaching varies with time and compatibility.

Most stains contain some pretty toxic chemicals, such as mercury, sulfur, copper, etc. that act as preservative and anti-microbial agents. Make sure NOT to use any drums used for transformer oil (PCBs) or chemicals.

The offgases from even minute amounts of these compounds produced during burning or cooking are not healthy to breathe. Even after you do an initial burn, you could still be putting small amounts of toxic volatile compounds in your food from any residual chemicals. Keep in mind that the OSHA exposure levels are only recommended safe levels, that get lower and lower every year.

Be safe. Minimize your exposure to toxics if you can.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:06 PM   #17
Smoke & Beers
is One Chatty Farker

I called a local oil supplier ("Oil" in the yellow pages) and told him what I was looking for...he said come on by and we'll find you one. Got there and there wasn't a food grade drum to be found. He thought with a good burn a petro drum would be fine...but I passed... He understood.
He said he'd do some calling around and 10 minutes later he had a food grade oil (mineral oil) drum that I picked up at a local bakery for $5.
Any food processing places or their lube suppliers should have access to a food grade drum...if they are willing to part with it...they usually have a deposit on them.
Weber One Touch Gold & a Weber 22 1/2" Silver
Traeger Jr
2 UDS's Born 9-19-08 & 3-6-09
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
[COLOR=red][COLOR=black]Super Fast[/COLOR][B] RED THERMAPEN[/B][/COLOR]

"If you got them by the MOINK balls, their hearts and minds will follow" -John Wayne
Smoke & Beers is offline   Reply With Quote