MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:21 PM   #1
Blythewood BBQ'er
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Dennis
Default Whole hog transportation?

Tonight dad called me and asked if I had a bodybag. After the initial wtf moment I realized he wanted one to transport his deer whole somewhere. After the conversation I was wondering how yall transport your whole hogs?
BUBBA GRILLS 250r, CharGriller Akorn, 1.5 uds, 28in Blackstone, Blackstone Tailgater, Weber Mastertouch Slate Blue, Weber Copper Performer Premium, Weber 26er, Weber Jumbo Joe, and a set of Octoforks!

GOOD FOOD GOOD TIMES AND GOOD FRIENDS CAN BE FOUND HERE!! THE BBQ BRETHREN BASHES!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8
Blythewood BBQ'er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2014, 11:40 PM   #2
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I went to Home Depot and got the biggest plastic tote they had. When I pick up the pig I put it in there and throw a few bags of ice on top and sides. I haven't gotten any bigger than 70# and that's about as much as will fit, at least lengthwise. There's plenty more room on width though. Some type of feed trough would work for bigger ones I think.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-05-2014, 11:43 PM   #3
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Lots of hunters pack ice bags on top of deer or hogs. The animal is wrapped in heavy duty plastic and loaded into a heavy sleeping bag. Put the bags of ice under the top layer of plastic but on top of the meat.
Depending on the length of time or miles traveled folks put dry ice on top of regular bags of ice using the plastic if it is going to be several hours. It all depends on present weather conditions and how far you must travel.
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2014, 12:55 AM   #4
GoolsbyMD
Full Fledged Farker

Guess I'd treat it like a deer. Wrap in tarp after filling body cavity with ice throw ice around outside of body wrap up in said plastic.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:27 AM   #5
Fishhook
Full Fledged Farker

I have a Sears car-top carrier, I put it in the back of the pick-up, cover the pig with ice and close the lid. I have carried pigs up to 250lbs that way. Plus they will keep very nicely for about a day and a half without adding more ice.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-06-2014, 06:46 AM   #6
Blythewood BBQ'er
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhook View Post
I have a Sears car-top carrier, I put it in the back of the pick-up, cover the pig with ice and close the lid. I have carried pigs up to 250lbs that way. Plus they will keep very nicely for about a day and a half without adding more ice.
There's an idea. I got an old one myself with straps that only attach to the old rain channel that ran around the roof of the car. Been wondering what to do with it. Now I know
BUBBA GRILLS 250r, CharGriller Akorn, 1.5 uds, 28in Blackstone, Blackstone Tailgater, Weber Mastertouch Slate Blue, Weber Copper Performer Premium, Weber 26er, Weber Jumbo Joe, and a set of Octoforks!

GOOD FOOD GOOD TIMES AND GOOD FRIENDS CAN BE FOUND HERE!! THE BBQ BRETHREN BASHES!

Old 01-06-2014, 06:59 AM   #7
IamMadMan

I put the animal in food grade drum liners (55 Gallon Heavy food grade Platic bags) set on top of a row of ice bags, then ice bags on top and cover with a couple moving blankets. That will last 4-6 hours on a summer day.

But "Fishhook" has the best idea for long distance.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2014, 07:43 AM   #8
smoke ninja

Nice ideas. Never gave it much thought it's cold enough here during hunting season to throw it in the bed of a truck or hood of your car.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:23 AM   #9
Rodbolt
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

The Shappell Jet sleds (or knock offs) work well for transporting/icing hogs and have great utility if you hunt, camp, ice fish, etc. i prefer the medium size.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shapp...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 01-06-2014, 11:40 AM   #10
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

With the top down.

A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2014, 11:45 AM   #11
southpaw_1979
On the road to being a farker

I have always picked up my pig the morning of the cook from the abattoire. I just throw it in the back of the truck and get to my cooking location usually within an hour, I do not do anything to cool it.

Once I picked it up the night before so I could start early in the morning. When I got home, I wrapped it in a plastic sheet and put it in the bathtub, then filled the tub with ice.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #12
Blythewood BBQ'er
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke View Post
With the top down.

Holy hell that is one of the best things I have ever seen. I may just rent a convertible to do it.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:23 PM   #13
cholloway
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Colin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke View Post
With the top down.

Does this qualify you for the HOV lane?
Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new in 1981)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber charcoal Go-Anywhere
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
Blackstone Tailgater Combo & STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2014, 01:24 PM   #14
Haveuseen1?
Full Fledged Farker

I couldnt beging to even think how many deer and hogs I have killed and transported. Temps vary wildy during our hunting season, and it has never been an issue.

Hogs in the summer we just quarter and throw in a cooler with ice. Deer in early season, we just quarter and throw in a cooler with ice. Hogs and deer when the temps are 45F and lower, we just field dress and throw in the truck bed. I guess if I didnt drive a truck, transporting could be a little tricky, but I think I would just get a decent tarp, and throw it in the trunk of the car. If I was adding ice, I would use the 10 pound bags, and put one or two in the body cavity.

Not sure on the level of skill your dad has, but I can normally skin and quarter a deer in about 20 minutes. Hogs take me longer because I think they are just filthy critters.

Either way, usually most folks are not moving one for any long length of time, and I would believe a field dressed deer with 2 x 10pound bags of ice in the cavity, wrapped in a tarp should pretty much cover anything. If the deer is not field dressed, well that is a whole new issue.
Haveuseen1? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #15
Blythewood BBQ'er
Babbling Farker

Skill level is exceptional. I really dont know what he was up to.