MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:08 AM   #91
BBQ PD
is one Smokin' Farker

Outstanding build, and how great to make a great friend from this site. You just gotta love the Brethren. Looking forward to the pics of the first cook. Now that the build is done, and you and Chad have some extra time on your hands, put aside a few hours on Nov the 17th and join us at the Bash . I'll even have my Santa Maria grill fired up.

CBJ, 15' custom BBQ trailer with a Backwoods Competitor, Pitts & Spitts off-set, & Santa Maria grill. Ole Hickory CTO, 1 BGE, 2 Weber kettles and 1 Smokey Joe, BWS Chubby, Sonoma gasser, and a BBQ store full of everything BBQ.
BBQ PD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 12:33 AM   #92
mikeyd
Got Wood.

Dave....thanks! Chad just told me a couple hours ago about the bash. Sounds like it may be a go for us. Will update u as soon as we can solidify it all.

Mike

Old 10-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #93
Igotgas
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog66 View Post
Very nice build indeed, makes my pit look SUPER ghetto

Perhaps I'm missing something, but.....My only concern is how deep it is, gonna have to use A LOT of fuel. I realize the grates lowed down into the pit, but I wouldn't want to have to cook below the exterior surface.
Super ghetto.. Pahlease! we wanted a good working height and then when Mike ran some test burns we realized just that. So Mike worked something out to raise up the fire. I am not sure what it was but I do know it is temporary and we will fix that after we break it in this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyd View Post

To you Chad.......5...1...5...0 somebody call the popo............

-Mike
I will get you for this ^^^^^. Mike I am glad that I could help you. I mean after all you built it not me I was just along for the ride. Can't wait to fire that bad boy up this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh and after this weekend I think we should tear it all apart. I just know that there is something off somewhere..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ PD View Post
Outstanding build, and how great to make a great friend from this site. You just gotta love the Brethren. Looking forward to the pics of the first cook. Now that the build is done, and you and Chad have some extra time on your hands, put aside a few hours on Nov the 17th and join us at the Bash . I'll even have my Santa Maria grill fired up.
Your right, you gotta love this place. It is justa big family. It was very cool to meet a new friend and it was pretty awesome seeing our girls connect like they did. That last pic was taken just minutes after they met. A good time was definitely had building this thing. And as far as the Bash goes we will be there, even if I have to kidnap him
[CENTER]Rescued Red MasterTouch - 1998[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Smoky Joe - 1984 (My Little Girls)[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Ranch Kettle X2- 2008 With Brother Marty Leach's Handles and 1991 CL find.[/CENTER]
[CENTER]SS Weber Performer X 2 [/CENTER]
Igotgas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #94
SmokieDylan
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Can you please explain a little how the spring tensioner works? How to replicate? The build is awesome & I want to flatter you by borrowing a great idea. BTW, I'm in the middle of my build & want the spring tension over the ratchet system. Your help would be appreciated.
SmokieDylan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #95
mikeyd
Got Wood.

Hi SmokieDylan....first off the credit goes to MartyLeach here in the brethren who had it on his build and answered lots of our questions to help us out. THANK YOU MARTY!

I will try to give you what I know and maybe Marty can give you more info if needed.

We have a 1" solid rod that we made a 3/4 thread on for about 3.5" on the rod we then made washers that had a 1" ID and slipped that on first then we got a porch swing spring from home depot for a few dollars and cut that in half for each side, when then put another washer on there and then finally a 3/4 ID nut to hold everything in place. The more you you tighten it the more the spring compresses and the spring presses up against the washer where it meets the shaft that the rod goes into causing more or less friction to slow/stop the grates.

I have 2 grates on mine 1 of the grates weighs in around 68 lbs. the other about 40 lbs. We've noticed that the larger grate will need a larger spring due to the weight and the smaller grate could have probably worked with a 1/4 of the spring that it has now as it holds very well.

Hope this help!

Mike

Old 10-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #96
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

A+ on the Build
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #97
Dallas Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

What a great grill and story!

Old 10-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #98
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Please get busy on one of these please.

You got skills man!
Facebook
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #99
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Outstanding build, I think that the pit looks just about right for what I learned on. Tim, the gentlemen who taught me, always cooked below the rim of the pit, that was important to them. They said that was why you had the cranks, to lower and raise the meat out of the pit. I love that large fire door that I see as well, again, quite close to the pits I learned on, you can actually open and shovel coals into the fire chamber that way.

Other than the fact that it is ridiculously clean, I can see some very good "Santa Maria" style cooks coming off of that pit. Now, if you build yourself a nice little two level kiln, with a fie grate between the two levels, you can burn the oak splits in the kiln, knock the embers down to the lower level and shovel the hot embers into the cook pit. Allows for longer cooks and less wood consumption, plus, you can control the heat a lot better. Or not.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #100
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Bravo boys, that thing looks awesome and now I have one more thing to be jealous of. :thumbup:

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #101
Mark M
Full Fledged Farker

That was a very interesting journey. Your results were fantastic. But the friendship that you gained is the best part of the story. Nice job guys.
Mark M is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2012, 11:12 PM   #102
Igotgas
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post

Please get busy on one of these please.

You got skills man!
No sweat T. We got this,
when do you want it.
[CENTER]Ranch Kettle X2- 2008 With Brother Marty Leach's Handles and 1991 CL find.[/CENTER]

Old 10-29-2012, 11:16 PM   #103
Igotgas
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Outstanding build, I think that the pit looks just about right for what I learned on. Tim, the gentlemen who taught me, always cooked below the rim of the pit, that was important to them. They said that was why you had the cranks, to lower and raise the meat out of the pit. I love that large fire door that I see as well, again, quite close to the pits I learned on, you can actually open and shovel coals into the fire chamber that way.

Other than the fact that it is ridiculously clean, I can see some very good "Santa Maria" style cooks coming off of that pit. Now, if you build yourself a nice little two level kiln, with a fie grate between the two levels, you can burn the oak splits in the kiln, knock the embers down to the lower level and shovel the hot embers into the cook pit. Allows for longer cooks and less wood consumption, plus, you can control the heat a lot better. Or not.
I am having trouble seeing this Bob. I will definitely bug you at the Bash bout this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
That was a very interesting journey. Your results were fantastic. But the friendship that you gained is the best part of the story. Nice job guys.
The build was bitchin but the friendship with us and our little girls is just priceless.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:49 AM   #104
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Absolutely beautiful!!!

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #105
basuraman
Full Fledged Farker

Amazing project..

Tags
BBQ Grill, BBQ Pit, Igotgas, Masonry Grill, Masonry Pit, Mike's Santa Maria Grill, Mikes Grill, Mikeyd, Santa Maria Grill