Cold Weather Cooking

B

backporchbbq

For all those cold weather cookers. I have a Meadow Creek TS120. How hard is it to keep the heat up. I know most of you do not have this specific cooker, but need some tips. I want to cook a couple butts and briskets next month sometime. What do I need to know about cold weather cooking, besides wear a jacket and drink coffee and beer (I got that down):rolleyes::-D. Thanks in advance.

I have a lang 84 that I think is about the same as your cooker- just fired it up at 3:00 and it is chugging along at 255 right now- it is 11 degrees now and windy- you should not have any trouble- they just use a little more fuel to keep up the temp, just build a good size fire to start and throw another log on sooner to keep a good bed of coals going
just threw 5 small butts on for christmas presents

I put 50 #'s of butts on Saturday afternoon in one of my UDS's using a water pan. Three big chunks of Sweet Cherry wood and 10 #'s of K. Outside temps were in the low teens at the start dropping down to 6* with a -12 wind chill when I pulled them at 6:00 yesterday morning. The drum maintained 200-210 all through night. In total they were in the drum for 18 hours and I finished with 1 1/2 hours in the oven at 225.

I am not familar with the cooker but here are a few general tips that work for me.Do the best that you can to block the wind.Wind will work funny drafts when its cold.Sheets of cardboard propped up will do wonders.If you have access to a welders blanket to cover what you can will do a lot to retain heat.Start a little earlier and plan for a longer cook you can always rest the meat a little longer.

Are you using charcoal or wood. You are NOT going to get as hot a fire with charcoal!!!
Start with a good base of charcoal coals and then go to Stick Burning!!!

I can get my little Brinkmann PitMaster or my Lang up to 450 degrees when it's -20 outside (like it is right now) Do it all the time.

As Coz said, the wind can be the real heat stealer. Block the wind as best you can, and if you need additional help maintaining temp you can always toss a shipping blanket or even a hot water heater blanket over the body of the smoker (not the firebox!) to help it retain heat. Just watch it so it doesn't catch fire.

I am a welder so therefore I have a welding blanket. My welding blanket is made from real thick fiberglass. Everything the blanket touches is covered with tiny fibers when I remove the blanket. My question is how do you keep these tiny fibers from getting into the food when you remove the blankets and open the smoker?

I built a small, wooden structure for me WSM for the winter cooks. All it basically does is block the wind from all sides, but that makes all the difference in the world! I can usually plan my cooks in the winter just as I do in the summer using the wind breaks.

I built a small, wooden structure for me WSM for the winter cooks. All it basically does is block the wind from all sides, but that makes all the difference in the world! I can usually plan my cooks in the winter just as I do in the summer using the wind breaks.

correction. I built a small, wooden structure for MY WSM...:grin: I really do know how to spell and speak..it just does not always show through..hehe

correction. I built a small, wooden structure for MY WSM...:grin: I really do know how to spell and speak..it just does not always show through..hehe

do any of you all have one of those WSM smoking jackets? they have them on the guru website for the WSM's. I was thinking they would transport easily for comps vs. a drum or wooden structure. I sent an email asking about how they work and have not heard back.

Got any pics of that structure? Need an idea for my UDS.

Snowontophotcooker.jpg

Insulation working overtime. I cant believe how dirty my door is!

Last edited by a moderator:
Got any pics of that structure? Need an idea for my UDS.
Here's pics of the wind screens I made for my fleet of WSMs.
2windscreensup.jpg

Onewindscreen.jpg

Hinge_miterdetail.jpg

They are 4' x 2' 1/4" plywood panels framed in 2" x 2"s and I attached 2 panels with hinges. I have 2 sets that will block 3 sides of 2 WSMs sided-by-side (the back side of the WSMs is blocked by the garage wall), or they will completely surround a Weber grill or single WSM.

I don't have pics, but my windblock is very similar to Harbormasters. All I have protected is 3 sides, that way I can access the door without a lot of trouble. If 3 sides are protected, the WSM seems to work great.

Not to sound like a broken record, but wind blowing into the damper can really wreck havoc.
My 2 tricks is block the wind from blowing thru the damper and throw a welding blanket over the smoke chamber.

Not to sound like a broken record, but wind blowing into the damper can really wreck havoc.
My 2 tricks is block the wind from blowing thru the damper and throw a welding blanket over the smoke chamber.

I guess you're out of chaise lounge cushions, huh?

My smoker curse the wind/ cold
DSCN9227.jpg

Smoke last night it was 6f and 25 mile wind

I am a welder so therefore I have a welding blanket. My welding blanket is made from real thick fiberglass. Everything the blanket touches is covered with tiny fibers when I remove the blanket. My question is how do you keep these tiny fibers from getting into the food when you remove the blankets and open the smoker?

The blankets I have used have canvas on both sides.I think its canvas type material.

The blankets I have used have canvas on both sides.I think its canvas type material.

I figured it must be something like that. Mine would surely not work anywhere near food.

Back