Pricing.....delivery/service?

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I have to do ribs, pulled pork and 2 sides for 75 coal mine workers. 2 stage dinner service at the coal mine (1 service for 1st shift and 1 service for 2nd shift). Was asked to make sure there was enough and that they can all eat WELL. Figuring a little more portion-wise, but the thing is that the coal mine is a 2.5 hour drive.

What extra charge (if any) would you get for the mileage/drive time/service time, etc?

We do some "drop off the food and leave" catering and some full service catering, but even when it's full service, it's usually just one meal service which only lasts 20-30 minutes. I've been asked to provide service for at least 2 hours.

Thoughts?

Many variables to be considered... Sounds expensive

2 separate shifts, 2.5 hours distance, heavy surcharges/mileage

75 people total or 75 per shift?

How many trips are you planning? Taking hot boxes on the road?

Only way to minimize overhead - cooking onsite (Comp mode)
Prep, cook, clean and reload for second shift.

If tasked on making two trips... would decline the bid.

Last edited:
1 trip. Planning on cooking ahead of time and taking cambros with whole butts and slabs, wrapped in plastic to hold. Will likely glaze ribs on site and will definitely slice ribs and pull pork onsite.

They want me to set up and serve at 4 and serve again at about 5:30. So total service time is 2-2.5 hours.

The good thing is that I've already pretty much got the job. I cooked for the owner of the company at his house for a pool party last year. He's a friend. He called me about a month ago and told me what he needed and just needs me to get him a price. I will absolutely give him a fair price (will NOT gouge him) but I also don't want to lose my arse.

I was thinking $300-$400 for mileage (5 hour round trip), extra service time, set up smoker onsite to glaze/heat, etc. I think it's a fair price, but?

Back