MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:26 PM   #16
Dustaway
is one Smokin' Farker

really looks great may need to make on for my collection psss don't tell my wife please
22" WSM
Backwoods Chubby

"Never let your persistence and passion turn into stubbornness and ignorance."
Anthony J. D'Angelo
Dustaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2007, 03:56 PM   #17
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Hope alls not board. Can't believe how good it is working. 7hours ito cook, original 12# load of Kingsford. Wind gusting.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2007, 04:37 PM   #18
Q_Egg
is One Chatty Farker

... many thanks for these pics. This design looks very 'dooable' for somewhat less than a BDS (plus shipping to the West Coast).
GMG_Daniel Boone _ pellets only
Big Green Egg _ Large _ need high heat
Broilmaster D3 'natural' gasser
[I]CB Bandera .. hooked me
Traeger Texas 075 spoiled me[/I][/FONT]
Q_Egg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2007, 04:46 PM   #19
tumpedover
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck
Bigmista has a thread, I used some info. Modelmaker made "EDS". And I used ideas from BDS site. Was simple to make. I am hoping original paint (outside) burns off so I can go High temp. Note: no paint on inside, used new drum from McMastercarr.com.

Workin out great. 1.5 hour and still holding temps. Wind so bad it actually pushed drum a few inches!

I would love it if you would post a link to the Specs. thread. Very intrigued

[B][B]Texas Legend -Ok, At least I used to own it !![/B][/B]
[B][B]SmokeMaster [/B]
[/B][B]Lyfe Tyme off set trailer[/B]
[B]55 gal drum/Texas Hibachi [/B]
[B]55 gal drum/ offset smoker[/B]

[B][I][U]Jesus Loves Barbecue[/U][/I][/B]
tumpedover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2007, 04:48 PM   #20
iceboxbbq
On the road to being a farker

I'll second that

Outlaw char-grill w/sfb ( for sale)
iceboxbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2007, 05:03 PM   #21
Norcoredneck

Here is what I used for guidelines as well as info from Bigmista and Modelmaker EDS.
The BDS is a 16 gauge drum that is approximately 38 in. tall and 23 1/4 in. wide. It has a high heat resistant paint and the color is black. It comes standard with one cooking grate that is 22 1/2 in. wide, a good thermometer, and a heavy duty charcoal ring that measures 6 in. deep and at least 13 in. in diameter. The ring is mounted on a grate that fits into the bottom of the pit and easily holds 12 lbs. or more of charcoal. The distance from the charcoal ring to the bottom of the the drum is about 2 1/4-2 1/2 in. for ash build-up. Distance from the bottom of the charcoal ring to the cooking grate is about 24 in. The lid is very tight fitting, plenty heavy, and has eight 1/2 in. vent holes precisely cut at even intervals. The bottom of the drum has three 7/8 in. air intakes with a plug for each one to regulate the draft. Pit weights about 72 lbs and comes in a shrink wrap. Lid is super secured. There was no damage (dings or dents) to my pit which was delivered by Fed-X. Pit can be easily transported from place to place by one person.

Within 15 minutes of the first cook, I knew this pit was a winner. The smell was absolutely what I look for in a first class cooker and NEVER have I achived this quality for the price and cooking capacity. I call it that ol' time "Grandpaw smell"... when many years ago men cooked meat over hardwood coals and the smoke from the wood and the drippings from the meat fell down into the fire, creating an aroma that was unforgetable. It was a lot of work. Not saying that some folks don't do this today, but they are a dying breed. This pit accomplishes this ol' time flavor with little effort due to the fact that the cooking grate is located about 24 inches from the bottom of the charcoal ring which allows direct cooking over the coals, plus the well thought out design from Mr. Richmond. There's a lot more to what he has created than just cutting a hole in the bottom and top of a barrel and calling it a good cooker.

When loaded with 10-12 lbs. of charcoal, I was able to cook long cooking meats (brisket, butts, etc.) without refueling the fire, which could be a pain to some (taking off the cooking grate to add charcoal, wood etc.). With three or four good size chunks of wood (fist size or larger), I used three pecan "mini" logs about 2- 2 1/2 in. in diameter and 6 in. long, the smoke never ran out. I was skeptical about this aspect, but it kept on smokin. After the meat came off and the fire diminished, the only thing left was a couple of the pecan logs that were nearly burned up, but not completely. So the smoke keeps going for a long cook when done properly with no additional wood needed. The pit was still up to cooking temperature after my cook was done. I got about a 10 hour burn, or longer, on 10-12 lbs. of charcoal with wood chucks at an ambient temperature of 48-50 degrees. Summer time heat will bring longer cooks, if that's important to you. One thing you need to remember when cooking this method...the meat will cook quicker due to the DIRECT and convection heat combined. This method of cooking does not reduce flavor...This is a good thing. I know how so many folks get hung up on super long cooking times, and I ain't gonna get into that. That theory holds true in certain cooking situations, but it is not a constant.

Performance: This smoker created a good even heat over the entire cooking grate...not perfect, but close. Never cooked on a pit yet that the heat was perfect. The fire and heat control was a breeze. Easiest I've ever seen. It held steady for hours with an adjustment of putting in one or two plugs out of the three into the air intakes. You can go off and leave this smoker for hours once you do a few cooks on it and figure out how to use the plugs (or sleep at a cook off). Mr. Richmond sends the "how to" manual with the smoker and it is very easy to read and understand, plus accurate. Just read it. Easy as can be. If ones wishes to add a second cooking shelf, that is easily done. Since there are 9 inches from the cooking shelf to the lid, one could add a second shelf at 4 1/2 in. above the main shelf. This would give you a distance of 4 1/2 in. between each cooking shelf and the lid. This would work fine for chichen halves, briskets, sausage, ribs, and other items that aren't too tall. However, if you are smoking tall items like butts, turkeys, beer can chicken, or using rib racks, either take out the second shelf and use the main one, or for high capacity cooking (12 beer can chickens, four turkeys, etc.) place the top cooking shelf eight inchs above the main cooking shelf and use a Weber 22 1/2 in. kettle grill lid for the main lid. This will give you a lot of distance from the top cooking shelf to the lid and about 32 in. from the bottom of the fire box. An extra cooking shelf (22 1/2 in.) can be ordered from Amazon.com for $16.99.

As the cooker comes with one cooking grate, it is a serious machine. You can cook a 10-12 lb. brisket and 2 pork butts, or 4 big butts, or 2 big briskets, or 8 slabs of ribs using the Cookshack rib holder, or 6 beer butt chickens. Figuring the most bang for your bucks...or should I say food...(briskets and butts) one can easily feed 20-25 people. Add the second cooking shelf and you can feed more people than I want in my house on one given day. If this smoker isn't big enough for you, the man makes a Jumbo cooker that holds about 2 1/2 to 3 times the meat the BDS does. It sell for 525 American Dollars. If you want a stainless steel one, that's avaliable also. I can't tell you how much fun I've had cooking on this smoker. I keep coming back to it day after day and it has become my favorite out of many. It is a joy to have in my back yard.

Ok let's see your Butt!

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-07-2007, 05:59 PM   #22
Bigmista

Here's the link to the thread on my smoker:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ghlight=Smoker

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2007, 09:05 PM   #23
thirdeye

Norcoredneck,

That is a Danny Gaulden article on the BDS. A very good endorsement from one of the masters. Rocky was very excited when he wanted to purchase a BDS.

Not sure if Danny was the first to refer to the BDS as giving off the "grandpaw smell" but that description really hit home with me, and I use that phrase often when bragging about my BDS.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2007, 10:34 PM   #24
Norcoredneck

Todays reward

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 01-07-2007, 10:37 PM   #25
tumpedover
is one Smokin' Farker

[quote=Norcoredneck]Todays reward

HOLY PORK!!!! that looks farkin' incredible......I'll be over for leftovers !!

[B][B]Texas Legend -Ok, At least I used to own it !![/B][/B]
[B][B]SmokeMaster [/B]
[/B][B]Lyfe Tyme off set trailer[/B]
[B]55 gal drum/Texas Hibachi [/B]
[B]55 gal drum/ offset smoker[/B]

[B][I][U]Jesus Loves Barbecue[/U][/I][/B]
tumpedover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2007, 10:49 PM   #26
Norcoredneck

Put in cooler, went out to eat for daughters 14th birthday. Spent $80+ bucks. Pulled when I got home, wife and daugter wrestled over last bun to make a sammy. Lot of snackin went on. Will pakage in vacuum bags tomorrow.
Mista, have to get pointers on brisket on drum smoker, if I can produce one half as nice as I have seen of yours I will be happy.

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 01-07-2007, 10:54 PM   #27
Bigmista

Looks like I need to make a trip out to Norco! What is it? About an hour drive?

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2007, 11:04 PM   #28
Norcoredneck

I work in El Segundo(nash and imperial). 91 freeway could be 1 hour, could be 8! I keep telling myself I have to meet you in person. Planned on going to beach comp you were at but my union vote took longer than I thought. When you get ready for another barrel let me know. I have resources to help. Check your PM

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 01-08-2007, 06:26 AM   #29
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Excellent work Norco!! Job well done. The eats look fantastic. My first cook was a sissy a$$ed pork roast. But you jumped in with a full load, it will take a few cooks to get used to the time difference with a drum.
Wife still calls the EDS a microwave smoker due to it's speed.
ModelMaker
P.M.d you about the weber lid.
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2007, 06:31 AM   #30
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumpedover
I would love it if you would post a link to the Specs. thread. Very intrigued
Here's a link to pics for the EDS (Ed's Drum Smoker)

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=19764

ModelMaker
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote