MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:10 AM   #1
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Default Sometimes, Ya just gotta laugh.

I like to watch some of those off the wall cooking shows such as triple D, man vs food, chopped, just to name a few. This one I caught here last week had a restaurant with a BBQ brisket sandwich. They browned the brisket on the cook top then braised the brisket in the oven for 3-4 hours, added a little bbq sauce when they made the sandwich and wah la, BBQ. Another had a pulled pork bbq sand, same kinda idea, browned the pork butt in the oven, covered it in bbq sauce, back in the oven til it's fall apart tender and wah la, bbq'd pulled pork sandwich. Not that they were not good sandwiches when all was said and done, might have been pretty tasty.......but certainly NOT BBQ.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
Grizzly6
Full Fledged Farker

Barbecue defined by Bing:

1. outdoor party with food cooked outdoors: an outdoor party where people eat food cooked on a grill
2. food cooked on grill: food, especially meat, poultry, and fish, cooked on a grill

3. equipment for cooking outdoors: an apparatus, including a grill and fuel, used for cooking food outdoors

bar·be·cue TRANSITIVE VERB
Thesaurus
VERB
Synonyms: grill, roast, sear, flame, chargrill, cook on a spit, broil
DUCAN Affinity - gasser
Mini UDS (For the 12 yr old of course)
Extreme amounts of awesome to assist
12 yr old who loves to cook, and an 9 yr old who is
getting interested
Grizzly6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2012, 06:40 AM   #3
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by code3rrt View Post
I like to watch some of those off the wall cooking shows such as triple D, man vs food, chopped, just to name a few. This one I caught here last week had a restaurant with a BBQ brisket sandwich. They browned the brisket on the cook top then braised the brisket in the oven for 3-4 hours, added a little bbq sauce when they made the sandwich and wah la, BBQ. Another had a pulled pork bbq sand, same kinda idea, browned the pork butt in the oven, covered it in bbq sauce, back in the oven til it's fall apart tender and wah la, bbq'd pulled pork sandwich. Not that they were not good sandwiches when all was said and done, might have been pretty tasty.......but certainly NOT BBQ.
I saw those shows as well, unfortunately we as Americans in a fast paced society have forgotten the joy and the true flavors in real BBQ food. Many people settle for a quick easy way and consider adding the sauce as an official way to make it BBQ food. Over time they change things slowly and gradually, thus no one really notices the major change, the loss of flavors, and the loss of quality in the food.

This is true not only with BBQ, but with many other food crafts. (IE: Baking, Sausage Making, Curing, ect...)

What we settle for as sausage from the supermarket should appall us, in my opinion it's trash meat compared to what you can easily make in your home or buy from a real butcher.

IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-15-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
grantw
is One Chatty Farker

I live in Canada and the culture here you would be lucky to find 1 in a hundred people that bbq. I have had people not want to eat my q cause its burnt. Lol (the dark crust) people have actually tried re-cooking my chicken because its not white, and dumbfounded when they can't get the "pink" colour out of it. Bbq up here is a crock pot, boiled or anything else that takes a max of 2 minutes to make. It's sad that we have become a race of instant gratification. Would you like fries with that bbq whopper?

Old 11-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #5
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

I summed it up in my classes this way.

To some, BBQ is a gathering with outdoor cooking.
To Some BBQ is Pork(NC) or Brisket(TX) or any meats Slow cooked over wood or its derivitives.
To some BBQ is a cooking device
All of the above i can live with..

but to way to many people, BBQ IS A FLAVOR

BBQ Chips, BBQ ribs that have been boiled and broiled... etc...

so, for the un-informed... BBQ has expanded to "a flavor"

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

It is ok to cook a butt or brisket in a crock pot or oven, I do it now and then but I never call it BBQ even if it has sauce on it. That is the problem people just don't know the difference in the cooking methods, nor do they care, calling it something it is not.
Dave

Old 11-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I welcome the places that serve "BBQ" this way, that means when my que hits the local farmers market/roadside stand etc it will blow them away.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have noticed out here, many places are moving away from using the word BBQ, and call it pulled pork or slow-cooked brisket and even calling the sauce something other than BBQ if it is not cooked in a smoker of some manner. I think BBQ is becoming less ubiquitous in the mid and fine dining sectors out here.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #9
shares
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly6 View Post
Barbecue defined by Bing:

1. outdoor party with food cooked outdoors: an outdoor party where people eat food cooked on a grill
2. food cooked on grill: food, especially meat, poultry, and fish, cooked on a grill

3. equipment for cooking outdoors: an apparatus, including a grill and fuel, used for cooking food outdoors
Exactly! It's a battle that's not even worth fighting because we'll never win, so long as the notion of barbequing a steak is prevalent. When I hear that kind of thing being said by someone I simply adjust my thinking to theirs instead of trying to correct everyone all the time. Heck I used to be one of them many years ago too, and even Bing thinks we're in the wrong.

[URL="http://www.tooashamedtoname.com"]www.TooAshamedToName.com[/URL] - Competition BBQ Team
shares is offline   Reply With Quote