WTF do people consider GOOD Barbecue?

I have to agree with landarc. In fact I feel its rude to tell someone what their eating is or is not good BBQ. Thats up to the one enjoying it.

I love the act of cooking, in some ways, more than the act of eating it. Most of all, I love feeding people, which rewards me a great deal. I still cook the best I can based upon my taste, but, I enjoy most when my friends and loved ones enjoy my food.

Totally agree!! Well said!

I also agree with landarc, I enjoy the act of cooking much more than eating. I am also never satisfied with my results and I'm always asking my family what I can improve on, what should I do different next time? I'm always thinking about what could be better with my Q instead of just enjoying it.

I enjoy cooking and eating the same amount. The one thing with cooking/eating my own food is that I am my own worst critic. I am always looking for ways to improve my cooking, so I try to find the "faults" in my cooking so I can make even better food. I will still enjoy my food because I think I am a pretty dang good cook, but always look to improve.

Cooking for others and seeing them enjoy my food brings a sense of gratification. I don't think I have cooked food where most people didn't enjoy the food. I know it might not be the most amazing thing they ate, but they do acknowledge the fact that it is good food. And good food helps foster good times with your good friends.

I somehow easily lose my appetite when working a grill for a long period of time. but on a low and slow cook, I typically get my fair share while pulling or slicing

Let me get this straight, a guy is asking what is wrong with people's preferences, and his screen name is "Beast Drinker"??? Unless that doesn't refer to Milwaukee's Best :wacko:

You know one thing about this Flat, is although I wasn't as happy with it as other ones I've done, It had nice bark on it and killer burnt edges, I think I'll start doing brethren searches for threads about hot and fast. The boys are still talking about it. Maybe there's some research to be done, from a cook that I didn't think had went well.
Be careful with the Hot and Fast, it takes practice and lots of attention. I happen to be one of the lucky ones who live very close to the Texas BBQ heavens, and many of them cook hot and fast. Kreuz will get a 15 pound beef shoulder clod done in 6 hours, but they (Roy Perez) are experts at it. To learn about the subject, I would look for books about Texas BBQ.
Good Q is just that,Good Q. Educated folk know what it is and the sheep just go where they are told. An Example: City Market in Luling, Texas. They have a name that has been built up over a long period of time. The place is usually packed. But you won't find BBQ afficianados going there anymore, simply because the product is no good anymore. Why? Because they fire up a Southern Pride GAS smoker to up production. They don't care about the end product any more, they care about the dollar, and it shows. I went there to investigate a few weeks back and I swear I will never go back. It tasted like dog****! But the crowds were there.The sheep do not know the difference. Most are just tourists and are told that it is good BBQ so they eat there and they think that is what it is supposed to be, not knowing that they have been taken by fraud because it is no longer Pit BBQ.
For the latest in Texas Hill country BBQ, Dan Vaughn's site:http://fcg-bbq.blogspot.com/

I'm a relitively new Q'er. Only 2-3 years experience and I really ramped up how much Q I did this year. Nearly once a week. I'm a bbq fanatic. I'll tell you I just really enjoy doing it. I'm learning a lot about cooking, i've seen improvement, and changed my cooking styles, rubs, sauces, etc. just to learn and see how doing it different ways turns out different. I've made my own rubs, and used several diff well known bbq rubs like Oakridge and Simply Marvelous. I've learned so much, and i've never had a single complaint. I did ribs the other day that my wife slammed down and she's not a big rib person. They tasted great no doubt but they weren't the best ribs i've done in my opinion. I did 16lbs of pulled pork for my daughters birthday and it was an absolute smash! People ate it up, my father in law ate 7 pork sandwiches and having a quiet house while everyone was eating was the best compliment I could get! At the end of the day, if my family likes it, it's enjoyed, I had fun cooking it, it made for good bbq.

Let me get this straight, a guy is asking what is wrong with people's preferences, and his screen name is "Beast Drinker"??? Unless that doesn't refer to Milwaukee's Best :wacko:

Name's just a fun nod at my college days. Meant to be cheeky and fun. I know for a fact that The Beast Sucks, I tried drinkin' one about a year ago and MAN... WHEW. But back in 97,98, 99, 00 etc ... A case of the Beast Ice'd get ya pretty dang rocked for NOT too much money. Believe you me I know the difference between the beer I drink most of the time (not the Beast) and the stuff I get on special occaisions, like say a Stone's Arrogant Bastard or something like that. Unless you're enough of a beer snob to call a beer like Fat Tire cheap (maybe a once a month 12 pack for me). Yeah mostly I drink cheapo beer but I don't knock down a Yuengling yellow can (even though it's my favorite cheap beer) or Miller lite too often and say MAN was that good. (Miller Lite and Yuengling aren't in the same league IMO) But the price range is the same. I prefer Miller Lite over Yuengling light but no TRUE beer snob would ever drink Lite Beer, so you wouldn't know maybe. I don't wanna be a Q snob. I was just amazed that I turned out somethin' on the level of like a Bud Light and I get an Arrogant Bastard review. THAT'S all.

Name's just a fun nod at my college days. Meant to be cheeky and fun. I know for a fact that The Beast Sucks, I tried drinkin' one about a year ago and MAN... WHEW. But back in 97,98, 99, 00 etc ... A case of the Beast Ice'd get ya pretty dang rocked for NOT too much money. Believe you me I know the difference between the beer I drink most of the time (not the Beast) and the stuff I get on special occaisions, like say a Stone's Arrogant Bastard or something like that. Unless you're enough of a beer snob to call a beer like Fat Tire cheap (maybe a once a month 12 pack for me). Yeah mostly I drink cheapo beer but I don't knock down a Yuengling yellow can (even though it's my favorite cheap beer) or Miller lite too often and say MAN was that good. (Miller Lite and Yuengling aren't in the same league IMO) But the price range is the same. I prefer Miller Lite over Yuengling light but no TRUE beer snob would ever drink Lite Beer, so you wouldn't know maybe. I don't wanna be a Q snob. I was just amazed that I turned out somethin' on the level of like a Bud Light and I get an Arrogant Bastard review. THAT'S all.
You and I are speaking the same language! :p :mrgreen:

I don't care for BBQ cook on charcoal brick thingys , but apparently lot of people love it it what people likes I think we watch too many cooking shows and let them tells us what is good.

Back