Smoking a 7-10lb Chuck Roast?

Wesman61

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
What I'd like to do is get a chuck roll and cut it in sections then smoke 'em one at a time when I want to make pulled beef sandwiches. The problem I had with the last one (whole chuck roll) is it didn't get done so I had to put it in the electric roaster. Of course it came out tough. I was not happy with the results but everyone else seemed to like it. I'd like for it to come out tender and moist (and easy to pull). What I need is a smoking schedule so to speak. I use a pellet smoker and can regulate the temps easily. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

try wrapping it in foil once you get the temp above 160
if you want more bark you can unwrap it once it gets
close to the temp you are looking for..

Chuckies can be some tough customers.
Low n slow bro....foil at 160ish or don't but you gotta take em to 200+, until a probe slides in like butter.
Try 250 at 1 1/2 hrs a pound but don't ever plan on time working out, just as a baseline.

It's done when it's done! :cool:

Thanks Guys! I guess I need to cut 'em up. I tried smoking a 21 pounder for 19 hours. I threw it in an electric roaster and took it to work. When I started cutting into it I was shocked to find pink inside. I threw it back in the roaster and cranked it up to 400. It got done but was real tough. I may pick up another chuck roll in a couple of weeks and try it again.

Back