MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:11 PM   #16
57borntorun
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye View Post
you are so full of it .
My response to the OP`s question.........

"Cast iron houses bacteria and potential off flavors when liquids are introduced and porcelain not."

The molecular makeup of the two are different and differ widely on casts and care.One is sealed and one porous.The cast allows for a greater chance for oxidation especially when vegetable oils,air and water are used in seasoning or cleaning.If you can provide the science to dispute what my original post was bring it on.Cast iron has it`s place but not smart when "LIQUIDS ARE INTRODUCED" which was what I said.There is a reason why things like aluminum and Teflon pots and pans are being phased out. Science has evolved and it does not hurt to listen.
If you want to make sauces in a raw cast iron pan seasoned or not have at it.I choose a porcelain and I`m not alone.
So POPEYE how am I full of it? I will wait here!!!

Old 01-02-2014, 05:25 PM   #17
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have cooked with both styles -- cast iron with feet and coal-holding lids, and Le Crueset enameled "French Ovens," as Le Crueset calls them. I like both.

As for enameled CI being for indoor use only, I use my enameled stuff on the Weber kettle, and they work fine, and clean up fine. I set up the kettle for indirect cooking, and it works like an oven for stews -- or the occasional coq au vin.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2014, 05:35 PM   #18
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I cook all sorts of stuff in mine but it's black iron with feet and I use coals the one you have is more for the stove top or the oven. Cobblers beans fried chicken deep frin anything Biscuits, Bread, soups stews, pot raost......
You should check out this YouTube channel. Dean and Joanie are Teardrop camping friends of mine. They do some amazing cooks on Dutch ovens like yours.

http://www.youtube.com/user/outdoorcastironcook

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2014, 05:35 PM   #19
lcbateman3
is One Chatty Farker

I'm with CD. We have two enameled ones. I have used them on the kettles, the WSM, and my pig cooker with no issues. Cleans up easy and produces great food!

You only fail if you do not try.
lcbateman3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2014, 10:16 PM   #20
bbqwilly
Babbling Farker

Ive got a cast iron oven with legs and we love it. My family does a lot of camping so its easy to get camp fire coals and cook with it.
bbqwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2014, 10:24 PM   #21
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

I like the regular for camping and for using outdoors. But then my trusty Lodge skillet gets the spotlight indoors too. I'm in the market for a nice enameled one to use in the house. In the end, it's CI..........gotta love both types.

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2014, 10:39 PM   #22
ShencoSmoke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
I like the regular for camping and for using outdoors. But then my trusty Lodge skillet gets the spotlight indoors too. I'm in the market for a nice enameled one to use in the house. In the end, it's CI..........gotta love both types.

Bob
If your looking check costco (Kirkland). Got one for Xmas, havnt used it yet but it is heavy and was affordable.
ShencoSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-02-2014, 10:44 PM   #23
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShencoSmoke View Post
If your looking check costco (Kirkland). Got one for Xmas, havnt used it yet but it is heavy and was affordable.

^^^I'm looking at CD's post and noticed he's using the enameled type in the Kettle with charcoal. How does the coating/color etc hold up on those with that type of use?

I've seen those at Sam's too. Just may need to bite the bullet and do it. Especially in the winter months, nothing like just tossing something into the DO and let the CI and the oven do its thing. Plus........you heat the house up at the same time!
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2014, 01:30 AM   #24
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I use raw CI almost exclusively. I cook with them while camping, on the smoker, and in my kitchen. I keep them right on the stove 24/7. I use them for everything. I fry in them, and make soups and stews in them. I bake bread in the dutch oven, and cornbread in the skillets. I'm trying to think of anything I can't do in them, and I'm sure there are probably some things, but I can't think what they might be right off the top of my head. I know folks like the fancy enameled ones, but I'll keep my raw CI. Just personal preference.
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2014, 03:10 AM   #25
shirknwrk
is one Smokin' Farker

I use my porcelain coated Dutch Oven on my Egg with no problems... but, then again, it is on the cooking grid... not sitting on the coals.
shirknwrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2014, 03:34 AM   #26
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

cast iron only..It does not know the difference if cooking inside..Enamel can not and will not heat evenly, nor can you get a sear like cast iron..Iron will not burn on the bottom...If not used for awhile rinse with water only and re-oil treat..my cast irons came from my grand ma to my ma to me, you wont do that with enamel..
chile--soup--fried chicken..stews...deserts...love the iron.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:14 PM   #27
bvbull200
Take a breath!

I got a 12" cast iron skillet for Christmas. I made french fries two nights in a row on the grill as part of a seasoning exercise and just absolutely fell in love with the thing. Did salmon filets inside on the stove the next night and decided I needed more cast iron in my life. Went to buy a dutch oven and couldn't decide between the 12" and 14", so I bought two, a 10" and a 14". Already made chili in the big one by using it on the firebox and inside my smoker.

I'm REALLY looking forward to learning more cooks to do on the iron. The plan is to, one day, get the smoker, both Weber kettles, and the Master Forge grills going, plus all of the cast iron and cook an incredible spread of food.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-03-2014, 07:47 PM   #28
Smokeat
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvbull200 View Post
I got a 12" cast iron skillet for Christmas. I made french fries two nights in a row on the grill as part of a seasoning exercise and just absolutely fell in love with the thing. Did salmon filets inside on the stove the next night and decided I needed more cast iron in my life. Went to buy a dutch oven and couldn't decide between the 12" and 14", so I bought two, a 10" and a 14". Already made chili in the big one by using it on the firebox and inside my smoker.

I'm REALLY looking forward to learning more cooks to do on the iron. The plan is to, one day, get the smoker, both Weber kettles, and the Master Forge grills going, plus all of the cast iron and cook an incredible spread of food.
Great aspiration for 2014!
Smokeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2014, 08:29 PM   #29
popeye
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57borntorun View Post
So which is it, am I full of it or not?
no you are not you just need to get to know cast iron. ci is the best for cooking . and there is no fear to it . enamil is good indoors but plain is also good . It is hard to explain you just have to get tro know it . I have over 100 pieces of it . and also cook with it . some of it goes back to the 1800's . start with the enamil and then get plain after you cook with it you will trash the rest .
smoky joe
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2014, 11:59 PM   #30
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Cast iron has been with us a long time. We have learned how best to use it. It has an incredible ability to distribute heat evenly and retain it. It is more difficult to maintain as some foods/liquids will take off the seasoning. But if you are cooking a fatty dish, go to your cast iron. CI loves fat.... I have never tried enameled. So here is my Jambalaya from 2 days ago in a CI Dutch Oven.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote