MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-10-2005, 01:46 PM   #1
chargriller
Full Fledged Farker

Default Curing Smoker

I will be curing my new BSKD tonight, I know when I was curing my Chargriller all I had was some veg oil that I applied with a scott towl, but now I spray down with some cheap veg oil in a can, green can I get at Wall-Mart.

I was thinking of using the spray oil again but, I have been collecting bacon grease that I have been using on my Chargriller, that seems to be working quite well.

What should I use spray or bacon, I like the spray because it is much easier to apply, but I like the bacon grease because it seems to coat better?

Also in the manual it says to get the smoking chamber to 200 for 2 hours then 400 for 1 hour. What is the purpose of the high heat at the end of the curing process? Is it required?

In order of use:
Char-Griller Smokin Pro
BSKD
Meco Electric Water Smoker

Xbox Live: char skd1
Wii - 4548 1877 4323 1724
Blog: The Casual Gamer
chargriller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2005, 02:12 PM   #2
Brauma
somebody shut me the fark up.

Rob, I used Crisco on my 'Dera. My wife had an old can that was almost full and was on its way to being ransid so I had her permission to get rid of it. I used paper towels and smeared that sucker down good. It looked like it was painted white when I was done. When I fired it up I had a neighbor to come over and ask what I was cooking. I said "Crisco". I smelled good.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2005, 02:15 PM   #3
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

I went the peanut oil route for the burn in, then I spray the hinges each and every cook.

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2005, 02:20 PM   #4
Brauma

As far as stepping the heat up I would imagine that it has something to do with heating the metal to a point where the oils laying on the surface seep in and become part of the surface metal. This would make the metal somewhat rust resistant.

Also, stepping up the heat would allow for expanding and contracting to take place. After it cools go around and tighten your bolts again and you will be CURED!

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2005, 02:25 PM   #5
chargriller
Full Fledged Farker

Why peanut? I would be afraid just in case company that was eating the food might have a reaction, not sure if it would matter since it is not actually being sprayed on the food, but the fumes from it burning might get into the food. Any thoughts?

In order of use:
Char-Griller Smokin Pro
BSKD

Old 10-10-2005, 02:45 PM   #6
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Rob,
Peanut oil has a much higher smoke point. Vegetable oil, canola oil, corn oil, etc. start to smoke at a lower temp. Here is a cut and paste regarding allergens of peanut oil.

-refined peanut oil (heat processed) is not allergenic (in other words, it will not cause an allergic reaction in the peanut-allergic individual). Of 10 peanut-allergic patients challenged with peanut oil, none reacted to the protein-free oils. Subsequent reports have indicated that oils contaminated with peanut protein may indeed produce significant allergic reactions in peanut-sensitive individuals. Cold-pressed oils are more likely to contain peanut proteins than hot-pressed oils 15.

-Hourihane and co-workers evaluated two grades of peanut oil for a large group of subjects with proven allergy to peanuts, in a double-blind, crossover food challenge with crude peanut oil and refined peanut oil. None of the 60 subjects reacted to the refined oil; six (10%) reacted to the crude oil. They concluded that crude peanut oil should continue to be avoided. Refined peanut oil did not pose a risk to any of the subjects. Change in labeling to distinguish the two grades are recommended 18.

Old 10-10-2005, 05:07 PM   #7
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

The curing process is a build up of resin in the pit. Honestly, if ya think about it, for the purpose of pit curing, i would thing you wouild want a lower cmoke point in the oil. The idea is to ruin the oil. :) and to make it form a sticky glue like resin inside the pit. A higher smokepoint oils may require higher higfher temps to break down. Make sense?
anyway..

Any oil will work, including bacon grease. I was taught to alternate between high heat and heavy smoke to cause the oil to change densitys during the process and form that glue like sticky resin. Start hot, with heavy smoke, to get the smoke to start blackening the oil, then choke it and let it run around 225 for while.. then crank it up and get temps into the 300s for a bit and give it a little more spray oil inside and choke it back.. heavy smoke for a bit, and then finish in the 200 ranges.

i do both inside and out. Yo may want to use pam on the outside, i never used baqcon or other oil outside, only inside. The outside will remain sticky for a while, but eventually, that goes away.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2005, 05:39 PM   #8
Bill-Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33

i do both inside and out. Yo may want to use pam on the outside, i never used baqcon or other oil outside, only inside. The outside will remain sticky for a while, but eventually, that goes away.
I did this in April, and after the outside was cured, those farking little seeds with those ball of white crap where flying around. Outside of the Dera was a farking seed depoistory

The death of "willkat98"

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle

Old 10-10-2005, 06:03 PM   #9
Wayne
is One Chatty Farker

I used rendered Mastodon fat on my pit...I have owned it for a really really long time. I think you are debating an immaterial question. I do not think it will matter in a year after the smoke and fat from all the meat you cooked gets into the metal. I also never season the outside of the chamber. Never saw the point.
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2005, 07:40 PM   #10
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

A high heat oil may not break down and may turn rancid. I used a can of Crisco which I put on a hot plate so it would liquify and painted the inside of the pit with a "NEW" cheap paint brush.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2005, 07:55 PM   #11
BBQchef33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne
I also never season the outside of the chamber. Never saw the point.

Try it once. After seasoning, the outside has a thick sticky coating on it that eventually drys up, but after that, water just beads right off it, and snow dont stick to it.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 10-10-2005, 08:05 PM   #12
Bill-Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne
I used rendered Mastodon fat on my pit...I have owned it for a really really long time. I think you are debating an immaterial question. I do not think it will matter in a year after the smoke and fat from all the meat you cooked gets into the metal. I also never season the outside of the chamber. Never saw the point.
Wayne, please post links to this Mastedon fat.

I am very interested, as I want to minimize rust. I always oil the outside of the pit, for just that reason.

Got 20#'s of sabertooth sausage I don't want to fark up

The death of "willkat98"

Old 10-10-2005, 08:13 PM   #13
chargriller
Full Fledged Farker

I still have it cooking a way, the door gage is about 50 to 75 degrees off just like my chargriller.

I can get one heck of a nice coal bed it is glowing nice and orange. I have both vents wide open, I was using a small little fan to give me a nice air supply, I will for sure need to get the fire grate higher, and figure out how to clean out the coals under the grate.

Hope to do a fattie or to this weekend.

In order of use:
Char-Griller Smokin Pro
BSKD

Old 10-10-2005, 09:11 PM   #14
BBQchef33

the SKD doesnt come with an ash pan? if not, a large baking ban will do for the time being.

Get the baffle in there asap and the door gauge will become more accurate. Right now, the heat is running up the inside wall and out the chimney.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 10-10-2005, 09:38 PM   #15
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

BSKD comes with the same ashpan and charcoal grate arrangement as the (at least later) 'dera's.

Rob, consider bolts thru the side of the firebox to support your new firegrate. This will allow you to use the ashpan as a removeable one and easily get rid of ashes during the cook.

They give me shivers when they bounce around, buckled up or draggin' on the ground, I like big....Joe Walsh
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote