MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:45 PM   #1
the pit crew
Found some matches.

Question injection question

Does anyone inject boston butts or shoulders with Coke ? and what does it taste like? Is this something I should try?

Old 12-30-2011, 10:53 PM   #2
MilitantSquatter

I've never done it, nor have a desire to.. but I remember reading once someone here saying they use it with their rub mixed it.. I think they said they"de-fizz" the coke first.

coke & dr. pepper are often mentioned for marinades &/or injections for beef though I have no desire to try that either.

Good luck..
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-30-2011, 10:54 PM   #3
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've never done it, but some swear by it. They grind down their favorite rub to a fine powder and add it to some de-fizzed coke and inject away.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
5am
On the road to being a farker

I had somone last week ask me the same question. I've never personally done it, he said that it worked great.
5am is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2011, 02:56 AM   #5
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Shhhhhhh. Don't mention butts with Coca-Cola. You might get in real trouble for asking that question.

Look, even if there were some guys that do it.... we will, uh... I mean they will deny that you let the Coke go flat, will claim they don't mix it with some pork (or ham) stock, and will refuse to admit that they also use a little spicy marinade (like Tiger Sauce, or jerk marinade) in there too. Coke can't possibly bring anything to the party (like sweetness or moisture), nope that doesn't happen. And lastly, if anyone tries to tell you that Mexican Coke is better because it has pure cane sugar in it (instead of good 'ol high-fructose corn syrup like our Coke does), that's just BS.... tell them something like "Hey Pal, I might have been born at night, but it wasn't last night!!"

It sounds to me like someone was just blowin' smoke in your direction to throw off your focus. Don't believe 'em. Heheheeeee.

And one more thing, remember that funky ad campaign, when Coke had a different slogan every year? Don't think for a minute there is any hidden meaning in these.....

1956 - Coca-Cola ... makes good things taste better.
1963 - Things go better with Coke.
1976 - Coke adds life.
1982 - Coke is it!

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2011, 04:29 AM   #6
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

I've never injected butts with coke, but I have used dr pepper, cherry dr pepper and barqs rootbeer. I do let it go flat and then add a tablespoon or two of rub.

The rootbeer had the most noticable taste but it was not overwhelming. Since butts are already fatty, there really is no need to inject unless you are trying to get the flavor deep into the meat.

I say give it a try. I will not hurt the end result. For me, it's always fun to experiment w new techniques. Some work and some don't.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:49 AM   #7
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

i used to inject 50/50 coke and butter for comp pork with good results. cherry dr pepper is also good