MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
Greendriver
is One Chatty Farker

Default Better Than Surf n Turf..

Hog jowl, greens, and peas is where it’s at! We had some chicken and spuds too. I told her we didn't need the chicken though cause that pig meat right there is better than ribs or butts ever thought about. Hmmmmm

Blog - Carpet Capitol Living

Last edited by Greendriver; 01-01-2010 at 08:24 PM..
Greendriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

To each his own...
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2010, 08:38 PM   #3
SmokedJohnson
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ View Post
To each his own...
Got that right

Old 01-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
jasonalan724
Full Fledged Farker

I want some!!! I cooked a few dozen pigs before I ever ate the head. Last year when i talked my bosses at the Barbershop into cooking a pig at the shops summer picnic their father (from Tunisia) said that He wanted to eat the head with me. I thought "okay, what ever." Little did i know that in Tunis when he was a growing up it was an honor to eat the head, i mean we cleaned it down to nuttin but skull, some of the best meat on the pig is in the head, even the sweetbreads.

Do not eat the meat raw or cooked in water, but roast it over the fire… Exodus 12:9

4 UDS' - Rolling Rotis Hog Cooker - Weber Kettle Resuce Collection - ECB - Lodge Cast Iron Collection - HF Weed Burner - ProQ CSG - Super Fast and Accurate White Thermapen - 4 tap homebrew keezer - 10 gallon all grain single tier keggle build
jasonalan724 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonalan724 View Post
I want some!!! I cooked a few dozen pigs before I ever ate the head. Last year when i talked my bosses at the Barbershop into cooking a pig at the shops summer picnic their father (from Tunisia) said that He wanted to eat the head with me. I thought "okay, what ever." Little did i know that in Tunis when he was a growing up it was an honor to eat the head, i mean we cleaned it down to nuttin but skull, some of the best meat on the pig is in the head, even the sweetbreads.
You got that right. Traditionally it's the part that used for making tamales but it get's harder every year to come by the pig head. If you like pig head, try goat or lamb someday. Dang good eats too.

That's a great looking meal. I can smell them greens from here. I'd hit that hard!
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2010, 09:15 PM   #6
Contracted Cookers
is one Smokin' Farker

Actually the meat around the the jaw much like bacon. We slice it about pencil thick Qiuck cure rinse off and then deep fry.
Contracted Cookers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #7
jasonalan724
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
You got that right. Traditionally it's the part that used for making tamales but it get's harder every year to come by the pig head. If you like pig head, try goat or lamb someday. Dang good eats too.

That's a great looking meal. I can smell them greens from here. I'd hit that hard!

i work at an orphanage in Haiti twice a year for a few weeks at a times as a Missionary. Every March when i am there we always get a goat and have a nice little feast with some of the older children and other missionaries, i cant even be gin to tell you how they spice it, just stuff it with a million different leaves, never get the head tho, the lady who cooks the goat always eats the head, this year i'm gonna bribe her for some, lol

Do not eat the meat raw or cooked in water, but roast it over the fire… Exodus 12:9

4 UDS' - Rolling Rotis Hog Cooker - Weber Kettle Resuce Collection - ECB - Lodge Cast Iron Collection - HF Weed Burner - ProQ CSG - Super Fast and Accurate White Thermapen - 4 tap homebrew keezer - 10 gallon all grain single tier keggle build
jasonalan724 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2010, 09:24 PM   #8
Philly-QueMaster
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokedJohnson View Post
Got that right
I'll third that. Give me a nice slice of prime rib and some lobster any day.
Philly-QueMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2010, 01:08 AM   #9
NorthwestBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-QueMaster View Post
I'll third that. Give me a nice slice of prime rib and some lobster any day.
I agree but your food looks great, Greendriver! Thanks for the pics!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg greendriver.jpg (525.2 KB, 83 views)
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #10
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Looks great Greendriver! I know the hog jowls are a pretty darned tasty part of the pig. Sweet and tender.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #11
Bogus Chezz Hawg
is One Chatty Farker

Mmmmmmmmmmm...Jowls!

Old 01-02-2010, 11:30 AM   #12
smknhotmama
is One Chatty Farker

Never had 'em before but I know I like the peas so it's can only improve right? great pics too.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:56 AM   #13
Greendriver
is One Chatty Farker

I was going to mention and forgot to about my herb and butter smoked pecans in that yeller meal cornbread. It was just an after thought and a play on cracking cornbread which I love but can't ever remember to round up the cracklins. We did one on them big bags of pecans for Christmas snackin and they weren't all ate so I smashed and rolled em a lil with a glass and added them to the cornmeal mixture. Just playing with my food again. I love to do that.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:02 PM   #14
jestridge

Now that is some fine eating, Only thing that could be any better if the jowl was fried and green onions
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2010, 04:13 PM   #15
Greendriver
is One Chatty Farker

Oh I had me some onions and pickled peppers a plenty but the onions weren't green though. green would have been better though.