• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

1st Brisket...1st Lesson

grillnputt

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Took the plunge and am cooking my 1st brisket. 14lber. Guess what? It doesn't fit on my WSM. "DOH!" After a quick $99 charbroil horizontal mod, I'm off. Now for the question. Could I have cut off the point and put it next to the flat and cooked it at the same time? Looks like it's going to be a long day...lol(and night)

Sure you could have. Some people do separate the two before cooking. Never done it myself, but I have heard of others doing it.

Took the plunge and am cooking my 1st brisket. 14lber. Guess what? It doesn't fit on my WSM. "DOH!" After a quick $99 charbroil horizontal mod, I'm off. Now for the question. Could I have cut off the point and put it next to the flat and cooked it at the same time? Looks like it's going to be a long day...lol(and night)

What I do when I have big briskets on th WSM is to roll the ends under. After a couple hours the brisket will shrink down and fit fine. Yes you can separate the point prior to cooking which I prefer to do to begin with when cooking packers.

You already got the advice you need.

Don't forget pictures!

What I do when I have big briskets on th WSM is to roll the ends under. After a couple hours the brisket will shrink down and fit fine. Yes you can separate the point prior to cooking which I prefer to do to begin with when cooking packers.

Good advice.:-D

Sometimes I can compress the brisket enough with my hands to get it to fit into the WSM. If not, I usually prop something under the middle to bring in the ends for the first part of the cook.

Thanks for the advice! Will use it on the next one. Already going on the horizontal. Can you pull some and slice some or does it have to be all one or the other? Pic's will be here....by tomorrow when I think it will be done. lol

I've been doing mostly 14-15 lbs'ers on my WSM for a while now. The packers that my butcher gets at these size seem to produce the best product for my tastes. They are never able to fit if you just lay them down. I scrunch them up a bit and it fits. Like Larry said they shrink down a bit and eventually there's no space problem.

I wedge them between the handles on the top grate of the WSM. Once they shrink a bit they fit fine.

Back